• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Insurance - with Track Day Coverage

PhilS

Reaction score
Hello again,

I just found out that Progressive "will not cover anything" if the bike is operated on a racetrack of any kind even if its for a track day school. I called them and they were very clear about that. I called Mcgraw who are supposed to be motorcycle experts (endorsed by the AMA) and they did not even know what a track day was!!! They said it would depend on the details of the crash as to whether they would pay or not - as in if I approached a corner too fast!! Wow, just wow. AMA directed me to Foremost who was very helpful, although twice as expensive as Progressive. State Farm is ok with track days and they are quoting.

What do you guys have and has "track day coverage" ever been a thought?

I got my insurance with American Modern Lloyds Ins. Company and they do cover trackday incidents, tried and tested. ;-) They were also the cheapest I could find for my bike, even cheaper than Progressive. After the payout, I re-insured my next bike with them and only paid about $50 more a year.

What do you guys have and has "track day coverage" ever been a thought?

You buy a dedicated track bike and leave your street bike at home. If you can't afford to fix it out of pocket due to a track crash you should not be out there on it. Track bikes can be found relatively cheap, they crash better and in the end are better for everyone. I know people who have crashed their street bikes on track and made a claim which in the end affects us all with higher premiums.

Unless Progressive has changed it's wording (any closed course event) then they also won't cover someone taking an ERC (Experienced RiderCourse). :eek2:

You buy a dedicated track bike and leave your street bike at home. If you can't afford to fix it out of pocket due to a track crash you should not be out there on it. Track bikes can be found relatively cheap, they crash better and in the end are better for everyone. I know people who have crashed their street bikes on track and made a claim which in the end affects us all with higher premiums.

You make some very good points and I can appreciate what you're saying. I would only hope that polices that have this type of "allowance" are also priced accordingly to accommodate that inherent risk and the rest of us "safe drivers" don't pay for the thoughtless riskiness of others. I would bet that's a safe assumption, but we all pay for each to some degree, eh?

As to buying a track bike, I would agree that this would certainly be the end-result goal if track days would become a regular item. And, if they are addictive as most people say, then a regular dedicated track bike would have to be in the mix if for no other reason than for track tires, light and mirror taping and removal, and the anti-freeze to water change over hassle. It would be big pain to convert to track standards and convert back to street standards each time.

In my case, I am looking to take a couple "intro days" on the Bandit to learn higher speed safe and confident cornering and line development in the safety and structure of the track that you simply can't get from a 20 to 30mph parking lot course. More so, this is a much safer environment that only risks yourself as opposed to learning or experimenting on the street where others are at risk and many things are around to impale you if you crash!! Even the MSF suggests that track days are the next logical progression from the BRC, to the ERC, to finally the ARC-STT - from there it's moved to the track. These intro courses don't usually require the intense bike preparation that the higher level courses do and thus fit my need perfectly. The "street Bandit" will see the track two or three times getting me through the intro and beginner classes while being taught by attentive professionals (if all goes well and I choose the group well). After that, and I would guess this is where I will be going, I will buy the uninsured non-street legal track bike you suggest and we continue that tangent of this motorcycle addiction!!

For now, I just want to make sure my bike continues coverage during my schooling on the track as it is in the parking lots.

Phil

Dang it Phil, I never considered this when I did my track day before and I have another one scheduled for October 23 - why did you have to mention this NOW?? :doh:

I don't want a track bike for the track, I want to learn to ride MY bike better by riding on the track. It might be fun to try a genuine "racing" or sport bike someday, but right now that is of no interest to me.

Everyone's insurance going up if I crash is B.S. the rates are set by complex statistical analysis, no single crash will effect them. Besides MY rates are based on MY history and MY bike, so MY rates might go up if I crash, but yours won't.

I guess if I break the bandit on the track, it's on me... :giveup:

No, but if every trackday crash is reported and claimed, it will raise rates.

Trackdays are a risk like anything else. In the end, you are definitely much less likely to crash on the track than you are on the street because you eliminate so may variables. Honestly, for most folks, if you crash on your first few trackdays, it's rider error. Most folks will not come close to their bikes potential (unless you are riding a harley at the track, yea I've seen that) and won't ride over the bike's capability. I'd almost say that you are nearly guaranteed to NOT crash if you do several things. First and foremost, take a class. Second, focus on the classwork. I don't know of any class that will tell you to try to go as fast as possible and to rip it wide open on the track. If you are focusing on the classwork, you'll be working on being smoother which will in turn end up being faster, but doing this will keep you safe while learning. Second, never ride over your head. Don't go all crazy out there. If you are staying in your abilities, pushing a little, but staying in your abilities, you won't end up in a panic situation where something ugly happens. I'd say if you do those things then you are highly unlikely to crash and that's about the best insurance you can have out there.

In the end, crazy stuff does happen. I did have a guy run me off the track once in the beginner group, but he was being silly and thankfully I was paying enough attention that it wasn't a bad off.

Also, wanting to ride YOUR bike better is a great reason to take a trackday. It really helps when you are on the street and you get into a situation where you'd perhaps have panic'd before, but you know what your bike can do and usually can ride through the situation. However, if you are still nervous about taking your bike out, probably for the extra you'd pay for your insurance, you can rent a bike through California Superbike School. On top of riding their gear instead of yours, you get to sample those sweet BMW S1000RR's they are sporting this year. :mrgreen:

Dang it Phil, I never considered this when I did my track day before and I have another one scheduled for October 23 - why did you have to mention this NOW?? :doh:

I don't want a track bike for the track, I want to learn to ride MY bike better by riding on the track. It might be fun to try a genuine "racing" or sport bike someday, but right now that is of no interest to me.

Everyone's insurance going up if I crash is B.S. the rates are set by complex statistical analysis, no single crash will effect them. Besides MY rates are based on MY history and MY bike, so MY rates might go up if I crash, but yours won't.

I guess if I break the bandit on the track, it's on me... :giveup:

You are wrong rates ARE based on the number o claims a certain model has. They are also based on a few other things like cc's, rating class ie: sportbike , touring and that type thing. I don't believe any insurance company will cover you on a track except state farm. I have heard they consider a trackday enviroment covered since it is not considered closed course racing. I have also heard of claims being denied by them so it may break down to the individual and agent. Best thing to do is buy a track bike you will enjoy the experience a lot more and your shiny street bike will stay shiny and rock peck free.

I have been riding track for over 10 years racing and trackday events. I know what I am talking about. I have done 10 trackday weekends this year alone. I own a dedicated track bike and that is all I use it for. Street bikes stay at home.

There IS something to be said for bringing one's bike to a track day[as has been mentioned]. The one thing the troops here do is remove or cover license plate for obvious reasons. I suggest having a "friend" queery one's insurance company about track days and go from there. YMMV.:rider:

Back