• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Louisiana Must See?

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Massey
I'm looking at taking a ride to Louisiana in the near future, some time between next month and maybe as late as early summer of 2011. May skip the summer months and make a fall 2011 trip if everything doesn't work out for an earlier trip. So what should I plan to see while I'm there?

I grew up (ok there is some debate if I ever really grew up) in Louisiana (Lou See Anna) and most of my family is still there so it's not like I'm heading into virgin territory, but as with any place there is always things the "locals" over look but folks from outside the region find interesting.

I've got a general route picked out to hit some of the spots I've enjoyed in the past and a couple other places I've passed without stopping and want to now spend a little time there but no hard set route. One spot I want to see again is the first Capitol of Texas which by the way is not in Texas. The only hard set point of the trip is that it will begin on a Wednesday morning and must be completed by the following Wednesday night. Most of the trip will find me camping with a possible night or two at the home of friends or relatives.

So what should I add to my list of things to see or do? :ponder:

Here's some randoms thoughts:

In Northwest Louisiana, visit Los Adais near Robeline. Not much there, but a great historical site. South of there is the paved Longleaf Trail in the Kisatchie Natl. Forest passing the Red Dirt Wilderness Area with the Grand Canyon of Louisiana, plus and an un-paved road running South will take you the unique-for-Louisiana Kisatchie Bayou. Natchitoches and the re-constructed French Fort is a great place to visit, and the ride South along the Cane River Lake is my favorite in the Louisiana. :rider:

In South Central Louisiana follow the Bayou Teche running South from the Opelousas area to Breaux Bridge (Mulatte's for dinner is nice, among others), to St. Martinville to New Iberia, then to Avery Island (no motorcycles on the Island tho-bird sanctuary). Also check out Fred's Lounge in Mamoux on Saturday morning for authentic Cajun music. Buy some Satsuma's (little oranges) if they're in season. Lafayette has a couple of re-created Cajun villages. Great eating all around. :eat: The ride around False River near New Roads is a pleasant. Big Bend, Louisiana is kinda North of there, but you might need a good map. :rider: I haven't yet been there.

The Creole Nature Trail in the Southwest corner is interesting. :ponder: There are ferry's on the: Mississippi River at St. Francisville/New Roads; Ouachita River at Duty; Atchafalaya River at Mellville; and Calcasieu River at Cameron.

Los Adais is the first Capitol of Texas, one of my planned visits. I didn't know they had the re-constructed French Fort, that will have to go on the list. The Cane river is also going on the list, I had forgot about it. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at some of the others also.

If you like little old, abandoned towns ride through Cloutierville which will be in the Cane River area south of Natchitoches (nacka-dush). It's off of 495, off of 1. We toured the Kate Chopin house there which actually turned out to be quite interesting. Not sure if it's still open.

I always like stopping at Lasyone's in Natchitoches to get a meat pie. To me, they are to die for. My husband would rather eat dirt.

We loved the Melrose Plantation which has a very interesting history. It's off 119, also along the Cane River. There is the Cane River Creole National Historic Park.

You can ride the ferry across the MS river from New Roads to St Francisville. Not sure how many more years the ferry will be running b/c they're building a huge bridge a couple of miles from the ferry.

In St Francisville the Myrtles plantation, supposably the most haunted home in America. You can also ride out to Angola prison and visit their little museum. If go out there on 66, take a detour on CR 157 (I think), follow the signs to Greenwood plantation. It's a beautiful drive, all paved, with trees creating like a canopy over the road. Greenwood plantation has a classical Greek revival style house you can tour.

Fort Jesup between Many (man-ee - gotta love Louisiana and their town names!) and Robeline off 6. It was kind of cool. There are actually several state parks you could see in a day around Robeline, Many, & Mansfield I believe. A few years ago if you bought a ticket to tour one site it was good for as many other sites you could see in a day. If you're in to old abandoned buildings the elementary school in Robeline sits vacant. It's very run down but kind of cool (special place in my heart since I went there in 1st & 2nd grade, mid 1970's). Turn right (if coming from Many on 6) on Pine St I think. There aren't many streets so it's easy to find.

Los Adaes state park, from their park website: Hours of Operation: NOTE: Admission to Los Adaes State Historic Site is by appointment only. Please contact the staff at Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historic Site (888-677-7853 toll free or 357-3101 locally) to schedule your visit between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. When we were there a few years ago not a lot to see but we happened upon it and what a neat find since it has some Texas history.

Rebel State historic site, northwest of Robeline. Also houses the Louisiana Country Music museum. Both are really neat.

There are just so many little gems in LA if you ride the back roads and explore the small towns. We've always been pleasantly surprised at what we've stumbled upon.

Have fun!

You didn't say what part of Louisiana you would be visiting. I am from Thibodaux which is about 50 miles west of New Orleans, in the heart of the bayou country. I agree with what "taminator" said plus there are a great many points of interest in New Orleans and Baton Rouge that could keep you busy for days, not to mention the historical plantation homes on either side of the Mississippi River between those two cities. Just be prepared for rain, narrow bumpy roads that in many instances have ditches on both sides. Also note that in Louisiana road signs are not always as conspicuous as in Texas.

I haven't decided what part of the state I will be visiting. I grew up in the Jonesboro area, went to high school in West Monroe and have fished across most of the state. The River Road is a possible ride or I may stay more to the Many/Mansfield/Natchitoches areas, I just haven't made up my mind yet. Some of the areas or sites I've been thinking about are:
Los Adaes State Park – First Capitol of Texas
Cane River
New Roads
St Francisville
Rebel State historic site
8th Air Force Museum - Barksdale AFB
Centenary State Historic Site
Chennault Aviation and Military Museum
Fort St. Jean Baptiste State Historic Site
Fort Butler Commemorative Site
Mansfield State Historic Site
TABASCO Country Store & Visitor Center, McIlhenny Company
Poverty Point
Morgan City area

It is also possible I just go back home on this trip and do some more exploring around Jackson, Lincoln, Ouachita, Winn or Union Parishes. I just don't know at this time so I'm looking for more options and ideas.

Be sure and check out the Fort Puke and Leesville area. I think I lost something there back in August of 68! :eek2:

I've been thinking about crossing the border in that area so I'll look and see if there is anything along the road with your name on it. :mrgreen: You went thru Polk in August? :patriot: I guess the weather helped get you ready for your next location?

:ponder:

Maybe the sign that says "Thank You For Visiting Louisiana" ? :nana:

I like the Kisatchi Nat Forest area. Hodges Gardens is cool, over by Toldedo Bend Reservoir.

I've been thinking about crossing the border in that area so I'll look and see if there is anything along the road with your name on it. :mrgreen: You went thru Polk in August? :patriot: I guess the weather helped get you ready for your next location?

Not to hijack your thread,but I was at Fort Polk from May 12th, 68 until September 13th of 68. Oh,and the 13 th of September of 68 was on a Friday. How lucky can one guy get? I got to do the whole dang summer down there! :eek2:
And did it help me get ready for my next stop.....yeah,sort of. My first hump in Vietnam was in the sands along highway 1 North of Camp Evans and thought I was gonna die,and that was just from the heat.

Anyway......enjoy your ride down that way. Oh and don't waste you time looking along the highways. If you found it I probably wouldn't know what to do with it any more.

:ponder:

Maybe the sign that says "Thank You For Visiting Louisiana" ? :nana:

I like the Kisatchi Nat Forest area. Hodges Gardens is cool, over by Toldedo Bend Reservoir.

I'll be sure to get a photo of the sign.

If I do get up to the Kisatchi NF I plan to run by Gum Springs and Clouds Crossing and probably around Saline and Black Lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if you took your trip yet, but in Grosse Tit (sp?) they have some very sad looking tigers in a cage at the truck stop. Maybe you could stop in and visit them.

LA is generally something to get through for me. If you find anything worwhile in the north, let me know. I don't get up there much. Hit me up if you use I 10 at all in the area.

My vote goes for this sight: :-P

Attachments

• DSCN0829.jpg
    DSCN0829.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 170
Hit The Shadows on the Teche if you make it to New Iberia; also the entire Main St. area is worth seeing. In Lafayette, have a po-boy at Julian's Po-Boys- basic shrimp is my fave but the Ragin Cajun is worth eating.

I always like stopping at Lasyone's in Natchitoches to get a meat pie. To me, they are to die for. My husband would rather eat dirt.

:thumb: Man, I want another one so bad! Also a trip to the Tabasco factory might be interesting if you have any interest in the hot stuff like me. If not, then skip it since it's a ways from pretty much anything else if I recall.

Ditto on Avery Island and the Tobasco Plant I grew up in Lafayette and didn't go there til last year. Pack some goodies to feed the gators at Avery Island. They have a butt load of them and they really like Fruit Loops. Thats all we had but they will eat anything. A baggy of dog food would be good.

Also look into a swamp tour on Lake Martin. Champlain has one that was really good.

Make sure to stop and have some boudin at Don's for me. I-10 exit 97.

Some of the sites on my list that I would like to see again, or for the first time:
Fort Jesup
Los Adaes... the first capitol of Tejas
Port Hudson
Poverty Point
Fort St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches

Depending on how much time I spend at each and the number other stops I make will determine how much of a planned ride I make.

Of course since I grew up in North Louisiana I will have to make a run to Natchitoches for a meat pie and to Avery Island to pay my respects to the life sustaining Tabasco Pepper. :thumb: And no trip down there could be complete without stopping for some good boudin? Heck being that close by I just may have to run to New Orleans for a real Muffaletta! :eat:

I plan to make the trip in May on my long weekend (8 Day Weekend) plus 4 days vacation and another short weekend is included for a 13 day trip. Now I've got to get some lighter camping gear between now and May. I may make a practice run over to Toledo Bend and Many. While there I could visit some of the above sites and rework what I do over the 13 days.

Fred"s Bar in Mamou , only open on Sat. morning closes at 1 in the afternoon has live cajun music and a live radio show that has been broadcasting there for 50 years. Lots of interesting local folks dancing and drinking at 9am,

Where in Lafayette did you grow up? I'm a Lafayette/New Iberia boy myself- spent my high school years living in Broadmoor, attending Lafayette High, and then USL.

I'm not from the Lafayette area, grew up just outside West Monroe in a little bump in the road called Weston. Spent my college time at Tech until my money ran out and I had to quit to go to work. I had planned to return after I had some more funding but never went back. I've got family in the Lafayette area but not real sure where they live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not from the Lafayette area, grew up just outside West Monroe in a little bump in the road called Weston. Spent my college time at Tech until my money ran out and I had to quit to go to work. I had planned to return after I had some more funding but never went back. I've got family in the Lafayette area but not real sure where they live.

Was asking bigphillip79- he mentioned that he grew up there. Thanks for the reply, though! :rider:

Ditto on Avery Island and the Tobasco Plant I grew up in Lafayette and didn't go there til last year.

Tony,

If you want to mix in some good riding with the sightseeing, while you're in the Toledo Bend area, ride LA 191 from the dam north to Hi-Way 6 turn west, cross Pendleton Bridge, in Texas turn south of Hi-Way 87 and then east on R255 back to Toledo Bend Dam. You will not be disappointed in roads.

Back