• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New toy!

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
Well I managed to find a TLR in record time. Picked up a Mamiya C3 with an 80mm f/2.8 lens and two rolls of 120 B&W film today.

5056265912_97c95d8844_o.jpg

That's a great find!

Now you're going to make me dig out my 35mm film bodies and burn some Tri-X for grins....

Or just put the d90 on monochrome mode and play like you ace PlusX and TriX.

Or just put the d90 on monochrome mode and play like you ace PlusX and TriX.

Now where's the fun in that? lol....

I've probably burned miles of tri-x, so much so in fact I used to buy it in bulk rolls, and load my own cannisters to develop. But Anthony has me wondering about B&W again... hmmmm.... Thanks Anthony. Thanks. :lol2:

Now where's the fun in that? lol....

I find it a whole lot more fun to set the D90 on mono and shoot to my hearts content. Then I don't have to load film and develop and print it. It's all your fault I am taking the lazy way out now a days.

:rofl:

Loading, developing, and scanning takes me less time than going through and processing a gazillion digital files to B&W. I don't do prints, no space for an enlarger and whatnot.

I enjoy the process, which might just be because I'm a product of the digital era. I also enjoy making my own beer, and making my own ammunition. It's a lot more convenient to run out and buy a six pack, or pick up a box of ammo - but to me it's nowhere near as satisfying.

You sound like the young man who lived across the street from me. He did not want to pay for his house to be rewired and replumbed. Said it was more satisfying to do it himself and he knew it would be done right.

Well it failed inspection when he went to sell it. Plumbing and electrical were not up to code and no permit on file. Now guess what. The house is sitting empty for 6 months and he and his wife are whining because they can't buy a house in Cali because they can't sell the house here. I remind him everytime I talk to him about how satisfying it must have been to rewire and replumb your own house. :giveup: :doh:

Sounds like he failed to account for the government's definition of "done right" - a pretty major thing to overlook when doing anything yourself. My garage repairs will pass inspection - because I was smart enough to consult both the applicable codes as well as a building inspector before I started buying beams, driving nails, and repairing things. Strangely enough the builders before me certainly passed code - but those codes did nothing to prevent the garage supports from failing.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you're not sure you can do it right, nor do you know what right even is, you should probably ask someone who does.

Loading, developing, and scanning takes me less time than going through and processing a gazillion digital files to B&W. I don't do prints, no space for an enlarger and whatnot.

I enjoy the process, which might just be because I'm a product of the digital era. I also enjoy making my own beer, and making my own ammunition. It's a lot more convenient to run out and buy a six pack, or pick up a box of ammo - but to me it's nowhere near as satisfying.

Yeh, its nice to do your own thing, even though it often costs more...I do homebrew as well, it turned into a hobby that went out of control for a few years. Finally put that on the back burner for now, but the equipment is still lurking in storage ;-)

Cool find there. Wonder if my "Argus" camera still works? On the topic of B&W, what was that film that was B&W but you had to develop it like color? I am thinking Pan-X ? This goes back to the mid-80's, last time I diddled with it. You stated you don't do prints, so what? Scan the negative after its developed? I really need to find a good scanner that is dedicated for scanning slides and negatives...not the kind that is more dedicated for file/paper scans.

Look forward to seeing some shots from your find...

Scotchale

Yeah, a friend of mine has a film/slide scanner. I just mail him my negatives, he scans them and uploads the files to our server. The files from those scanners are enormous though so it's a good thing our server's connection is as fast as it is!

Even though I didn't use it as much anymore I wish I still had my whole film camera outfit that was stolen as few months back :argh:

I still think B&W on digital doesn't have the same tonal quality as film, there is just something different about it.

I still think B&W on digital doesn't have the same tonal quality as film, there is just something different about it.

I'm inclined to agree. I have tried every single B&W conversion process I've ever heard of in the digital realm, to include several paid plugins to "simulate" films. They just aren't the same and that's largely what's driven me to shoot film. I'm perfectly happy shooting digital for color photos, but there's always something I feel like I'm missing when I do B&W on digital. That's not to say I hate any of the digital black and white photos I've shot over the years but I can't help but wonder what those same shots would have been like on film.

By the way, where did you find the camera?

Texas Photography Forum. I posted a Want to Buy thread and a member who actually lives over in Green Trails posted that he had one for sale. Done, and done.

5061940848_c7f989639e_z.jpg

Developed the first roll earlier in the evening. I don't have an actual film scanner, but that's from my RX595. Real hard to get the film on there flat, and it doesn't have a light source behind the film.

These negatives are gigantic. I like it. I like it a lot. Camera settings, iirc, put the 80mm f/2.8 lens wide open at f/2.8, shutter of 1/30s. Film was Arista EDU Ultra 100, developed in D-76 for 6.5min.

Haven't seen one of those in years - very cool camera. I learned to shoot on 120 film on a Ricoflex my dad brought home from Korea in 1960. Great for stills & portraits; a bit awkward for action shots.

Oh yeah I imagine it'd be near impossible to shoot action with one. I don't even want to think about trying to pan w/ the waist-level finder.

Shooting from the waist was the easy part. The really hard part was the reverse image in the viewer. When I was about 16, I tried to take pictures at a hill climb. I got several pictures of back wheels, and lucky to get that much.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Looking down doesn't bother me - but having to tilt/pan in the opposite direction your brain thinks you ought to be going based on the reversed image definitely takes some getting used to.

Yeah, hence my 1st 35mm camera in 1969. Anyway, I remember the old Mamiya double-lens reflexes. Really good cameras. Enjoy.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Looking down doesn't bother me - but having to tilt/pan in the opposite direction your brain thinks you ought to be going based on the reversed image definitely takes some getting used to.

I started using a waist level finder when I was in the second grade. My mom gave me a Brownie Hawk Eye for my birthday.
Before I got a decent slr I had to sell my first car and a spare engine after I was married.:rofl:
I have 3 Hasselblads and a slew of lenses that I haven't used in years now. And a bunch of 35mm slr's.

Back