• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Geezers Do Dirt

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
A new Misadventure!

Today I am heading to the piney woods of East Texas to partake the EasTex450 event. This is an organized ride to spend 3 days racing around in the dirt of East Texas.

This is an event that is primarily a bunch of hard bellied young men on true dirt bikes with far superior riding skills and physical conditioning. Additionally they will be riding lightweight dirt bikes designed for this kind of off-road adventure.

I am 62, out of shape and my riding companion, Hap Hazard is 65. Why on earth are two old geezers riding BMW GS’s that weigh over 600 lbs, going on this fool-hardy trip? I’m been asking myself the same question for over a week now, but yet off I go.

I have a reputation for being the one that says, “Awh come on. It will be an adventure” and tear off to parts unknown persuading poor Hap Hazard to follow. This practice has caused Hap to break his color bone, several ribs, dislocated neck and general misalignment of many body parts. But while I was off injuring myself attempting to ride the Continental Divide Trail, Hap went to some fancy-dancy off-road training school.

So now Hap thinks he is ready to conquer off-road and show those young bucks how it’s done. Lord help us! I have had reservations about the wisdom of doing this ride when Hap first brought it up, but now it has been him going “Awh, come on. It will be an adventure”. I relented to the chants and agreed, so off I go.

We have two young friends that will be staying with us at the camp site. Their purpose is to help the old geezers lift their bikes after we drop them and to administer geriatric first aid.

I have packed an extra supply of Depends for those stressful moments and enough Ensure to keep us going through the day.

So another Beemer Bob misadventure begins. I will spend most of the day just getting to East Texas (Texas is a big country). The EasTex 450 event starts Friday morning. I will keep you posted on he blog www.BeemerBob.com and you may follow my tracking on the blog site (the ‘Where’s Waldo’ icon).

Beemer Bob

You two will do just fine. Your BMW's are perfectly suited for this kind of dual sport riding. You said "racing" and "off road" in your post which it is not. In comparison your CDT route was more technical so this should be a cake walk for you. Just bring plenty of bandanas to moisten and cover your mouth and nose, it will be very dusty in sections.

_

Well I ride with the Wednesday Lunch Bunch, we ride Dual Sport bikes and most have two or three bikes. Our ages are 45, 53, 55, 58, 62, 65, 65, 65, 68, 72, 74, and 75. Four of the guys just spent two weeks on the CD, their ages were, 65, 65, 68, and 74, if I were betting on one I would pick the 74 year old guy to be the best of the bunch, I think you have a long way to go before you can be called a "Geezer".

John

Update! Bob make it to my place near Marquez today for a cup of java. Apperantely there were no tumbles or falls up to this point. Hold the calvery till he "spots" or "hollars." Keep heading East Bob and good luck. HB

Beemer Bob Big Bummer

Day 1
a6cd091f-a1bf-e090.jpg

I think I may need to find a new hobby

You need a blanket to cover those toes. They are going to get cold. :eek2:

I'm hoping that since you took the picture that the rest of you is intact and you are in good spirits. Is the hospital keeping Hap out of your room? As far as new hobbies, is your lathe a mini that you can use sitting down? That will keep you busy during the healing phase.

Hope you are up and around soon.

Everyone else had to ride motorbikes through deep sand to get back to pavement, But who else got to have a chauffeur driven limousine bring them back to blacktop? I must be special.

1040577916_zvXNf-L.jpg

All is ok. I am home now and will do full report tomorrow. Right now, I got a big glass of wine in my hand and a bag of ice on my ankle. Life is good.
PS. I’m not telling my wife where my bike is stored because she wants to sell it.

Bob,
Please tell me that is not your foot in that photo. Please. Lordy, lordy. That sidecar we talked about you going to is coming closer and sooner than expected. What happened?

Trip report. EasTex45. A new Misadventure!
I have more pictures and even videos on my real camera, but that camera is still attached to my scooter being stored at undisclosed location. (I’m hiding it from my wife, so that she doesn’t sell it). So, my report of the EasTex45 event is limited to the pictures I had on my iPhone. When I get the rest of the pictures, I will update this report. So, for now – on with the EasTex45 trip report.

Oh, I bet you thought is was EasTex 450 didn’t you. Well, that was the original plan, but at best I estimate that I only completed about 45 miles before I “bit the dust”, so for me anyway, I have renamed the event to EasTex45.

I head out Thursday about mid-morning in no particular hurry so I kept the speed under 95. As I was passing through the town of Marques it occurred to me I had a friend (Hardy Baker) that lived there so I stopped for a visit and to bum a free cup of coffee. Hardy is currently in the process of expanding his pond to be the size of Lake Superior, so we spent a short while reviewing his project. I didn’t think about taking any pictures until we were back at his house, so this is the best I got.

1041518311_hLuqp-L.jpg

After some rains, this thing will fill up and will be big enough to float battleships.

In route to the first night campsite, I go through Huntsville, TX and stop to visit the Texas Prison Museum.

This monument was placed to honor 150 years of corrections in Texas. I did not ask what they did before that. Seemed to me to be an odd monument or shall we say an odd thing to honor, but oh well.
1041518597_Y78Ew-XL.jpg

The museum
1041519855_oza8L-M.jpg

And then inside you get to view “Old Sparky”
1041519630_VpXAP-L.jpg

This is not a replica. This was actually in production. Very creepy.

Made it to the campsite (Lake Livingston State Park). I was the first one to arrive, followed by a friend of Hap’s (Carl aka:WhiskySmith), and then Hap Hazard himself. Camp site next to us was another guy on a GS 850 named James who joined us for the evening of merriment and lie swapping by the campfire. Much later, another friend also named James (aka: JBay) joined us.

See us having a nice time by the campfire.
1041520033_mtzPp-L.jpg

OK, so an iPhone does not have a flash. Much better pictures on my real camera still attached to my bike that is still deep in the piney woods of east Texas.

We meet the next morning in Moscow to register for the event. No not that Moscow. Moscow, Texas at Carter’s General Store.

My suspicions that this would primarily be made up of younger men on true dirt bikes was confirmed.

1041520264_xQL88-L.jpg

1041520485_pb2KV-L.jpg

Afterwards, the ride begins. We tear down the road at a spirited pace for about 100 yards and then the route begins to go to ****. To say we were on a dirt road would not be fair. I only wish there was some dirt. It was all sand, the worst enemy of a heavy bike like a GS. It starts out to be a few inches of sand and quickly progresses to be over a foot deep in sand. I’m serious! This was deep deep sand.

Not just the old folks or those on heavy bikes, everyone was having trouble. Lots of spills. I was entraining myself by following Hap so that I could watch all of his spills. :eek2:

1041522419_8qY4P-L.jpg

But, not me. I’m staying upright. OK, so I’m dog paddling through the deep sand, but I maintaining an upright position. **** I’m good (I tell myself).

After one bad area a fellow rider spilled and/or stalled his bike and could not get it started again. Some sort of electrical issue. There were about 9 of us in this group providing about 9 different opinions as to what was wrong.

1041520800_FtDYJ-L.jpg

No one complained about waiting around trying to get his bike going. We were all exhausted and any excuse not to ride through the sand pits was fine by us. We all needed a good rest.

Rest time over, his bike is repaired (well at least started) and off we go again. Hap continues to go through a series of drops. I think I count 6 drops but he claims it was only 4. I don’t know for sure. So let’s say “at least 4”. Carl drops at least once as does James. But, so far, I’m doing OK. So far …… Famious last words. One should never gloat. Shame on me, 'what goes around comes around'.

Another Hap Hazard spill.
1041521242_NK5pV-L.jpg

At first Hap was jumping up and grabbing hold of his bike and lifting it up. By the 3rd or 4th time, he would just wait until someone came to help because he was too exhausted. All the maneuvering through the sand is hard work. We are all so tired we could barley stay upright.

After a while we finally hit gravel and were to the point of celebration. But then we hit sand again, I hit a grove in deep sand and …

and then ...
\-----------------------------

A pause to go back a bit.

After my last incident I had decided I was going to be better protected this time. I was wearing something called a ballistic vest. This vest incorporates a chest protector, back shield, forearm and elbow protection. Additionally I wore shin and knee protection.
1020820831_kdQLK-S-1.jpg
1020821529_8SK8c-S-1.jpg

Hap said I looked like a big beetle but I chose to think of it as the “Iron Man” look. So EVERYTHING was protected. EVERY limb is protected right? No way can I get hurt.

Umm, oh let’s talk ankles a bit. Because of my very wide feet, I am unable to buy proper dual sport boots and therefore only wear ¾ regular riding boots. So I had considered some ridged ankle braces, but that would be $100 for a pair and I decided not to bother with it. I have since reconsidered.

Also the night before around the campfire we had a discussion concerning the pro’s and cons of the large metal boxes most GS’s sport. Some feel that the boxes should be removed for serious dirt because of the potential of getting you foot caught underneath them. But then others say that the boxes help provide some protection and besides keeping the bike from laying completely on it’s side thus easer to pick up after a spill. I decided on the latter. That option too needs to be reconsidered.

Now with that background, back at the ranch…

I hit a rut in the sand that was causing me to spill on the left side, I over compensated to the right and went down on the right side. My right foot got caught under the side box holding my foot while I continued to fall.

Ouch!! I screamed like a little girl. Boy that hurt! There were several other riders there and they helped get me to the side under the shade.

My riding for today was over. Called for help and a state trouper showed up. Before he even asked how I was, etc. the first thing he was asking all of us. “What are you guys doing riding motorcycles on a road like this?”, “Are you lost?”. He had trouble comprehending that we were doing this on purpose. He asked where we were heading and when we told him he did not understand why we were not taking the shorter route that was pavement. That dialog went on for a while and he was convinced that we were pretty dumb for trying to ride through deep sand on a motorcycle. Finally I asked if he would take me to the nearest town and he refused because of liability and that the only thing he would do would be call an ambulance. My choices were to walk out (actually hop out dragging one foot behind me), ride out (ouch), site by the side of the road or ride in an ambulance.

He explained that if I had medical coverage on my bike (which I do), that they would pay for the ambulance. So my chauffeured limousine arrives soon with lights a-flashing.

1041518086_mpnHv-L.jpg

Hap had great joy in taking this picture and I’m sure it has already been shared with everyone.

By this time, I am no longer in pain (as long and I don’t try to walk) and the ambulance ride was uneventful. I have never gotted to ride in an ambulance before. Now that I have gotten that over, perhaps I won’t ever need to ride in an ambulance again.

They take be to the hospital and after xrays, poking and prodding it is determined that nothing is broken but I have suffered a major sprain with some ligament damage but ligaments do not appear to be torn. So they wrap me up in this cute brace and send me on my way.

1043945511_5bFme-L.jpg

I had called my youngest son (Brian) that lives in Austin and asked him to come get me and bring me home. Brain (bless his heart), drives like a little old lady and finally gets there about 8ish. We think it would be fun to drive out to the campsite of the event and party with the boys. It would be about 10 pm by time we got there and he was thinking that the party would be in full swing by then. I explain that as hard as the ride was today, I seriously doubted that anyone would still be up, much less partying. So we head home. We find what looks to be a fun place to eat, party and visit in Hunstville. We park and after about 3 steps, the vicadin they gave me at the hospital has worn off and I am not up to going into the restaurant. So, we find a motel, put ice on the old man’s foot and good night.

Next morning, Brian drags the old guy out to his car and we proceed to Austin. We stop in Hutto for their famous apple pie.
1041522656_Xx7Pm-L.jpg

We meet up with one VERY angry wife in Austin and I am transferred to her loving care for the remaining trip to Valley Mills. Did I mention that she was angry with me. I mean VERY angry.

Hap found someone that lives near where I spilled and they agreed to store my bike until I can come back and get it. I have wisely not told my wife where the bike is because she is making a lot of noise about selling the **** thing.
Well that’s my story. Sure seems lately that all my adventures turn out to be misadventures. There is another event in a few weeks over the halloween weekend that I had already registered for. I don’t know yet if I will be able to make it.

OH, BTW: I ordered those rigid ankle braces today. Hoping for a next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm a follower of the "hard bags off road are not go" crowd. The soft bags at least allow some wiggle room especially in sand. Have you looked at these DVDs? Dual Sport Riding by Neduro. I have the basic/1st disk and there are lots of good riding techniques with drills to help you learn the skills. I've heard the advanced/2nd one is focused more at the heavy bikes like yours.

Well, at least it isn't broken and didn't require surgery...

By the way, I have the wide foot issue with respect to dirt boots. I found the SIDI boots to run wider than all the other brands. The ones I purchased were the non SRS version of these (meaning the sole is not replaceable).

http://www.dirtrider.net/drn_tested/boots/sidi_force_srs.html

Expensive, but very comfy and great protection. I've crash tested mine a few times... :doh:

These big bikes are quite the handfull in the dirt. Sand is worse, to keep planed out you have to be doing around 90. :giveup:

Trying to ride with lighter dirt bikes will almost always afford you a dirt inspection or two along the trail as they can go slow enough but still maintain control in the loose stuff that will make the front plow on the bigger bike. Try riding the beach in the summer on a GS and you'll very soon see what I mean.

As for day riding with cases, not something I do. If I don't need it, I leave it at camp.

Hope the foot gets better Bob...

Well it seems necessary to update the last trip report. Seems that the East Texas hospital may have overlooked a few things.

After a few days my foot was starting to look like a basketball with purple toes. I went to my local Dr. and they did a new x-ray. It seems that I have ruptured ligaments, a fractured ankle and a fractured leg. Other then that, I am just fine.

But I get me a new boot out of the deal. As a special bonus I get to wear this boot for 8 weeks.:eek2:
1052015845_Jts48-M-1.jpg

I am, however, finding it very hard to swing that thing over the bike. I don’t know how on earth they expect me to ride! I'll keep working on it. I'm sure there must be a way. Surely they don't expect me to stay off my bike do they?:trust:

Being that it is my right foot, I can’t even drive a car.

Bob,
As per our conversation, yes, the linked brakes we discussed would be no problem being only operated by the rignt hand only and not the right foot. HB

Trip report. EasTex45. A new Misadventure!
I have more pictures and even videos on my real camera, but that camera is still attached to my scooter being stored at undisclosed location. (I’m hiding it from my wife, so that she doesn’t sell it). So, my report of the EasTex45 event is limited to the pictures I had on my iPhone. When I get the rest of the pictures, I will update this report.

Hey Bob, how are you feeling? Were you able to salvage an pictures from the camera that was still attached to your bike? And what ever happened to the six pack that you had hidden deep in the pannier/ice chest? We should have administered those to you while we waited on the ambulance.

Hey Bob, how are you feeling? Were you able to salvage an pictures from the camera that was still attached to your bike? And what ever happened to the six pack that you had hidden deep in the pannier/ice chest? We should have administered those to you while we waited on the ambulance.

Nope. No usable videos on camera. I guess I did not have it turned on or Hap erased everything before I could post a picture of him flying through the air with the greatest of ease :-). Good thing though, because if it had been on when I spilled it would have picked up my screaming and crying.

The booze in the pannier has since been self administered.

BTW: This ‘boot’ sucks!

First thing through my mind?

"Growing up is optional; growing old is not" :rofl:

Second thing? Thanks for bringing back the memories. I spent a lot of time stomping around the area. Never did get to see Old Sparky though.

When you get healed up, wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Hopefully we can get together next riding season. ... If you don't break anything else.

Back