• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Smithville Photo Expo SUNDAY 10/10/10

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Picked this up from a local photography board I frequent.... Am seriously considering attending this on the bike.

Source:
http://www.meetup.com/photo-438/calendar/13241997/

Cliff Notes:
Sunday October 10
Downtown Smithville 1-5pm
"Photozone" of models NOT requiring a model release
5pm, their monthly meeting/food/beverage at Pockets Grill
NO CHARGE to attend.

More details here:
http://www.texasphotofestival.com/

This month's meeting will be coinciding with the Texas Photo Festival in Smithville, Texas, occurring on the weekend of October 9-10th, 2010. On Sunday the 10th, the Texas Photo Festival will be going on throughout all of downtown Smithville from 1-5pm. There will be plenty of photographic activities, models on several sets for shooting, and learning opportunities available throughout the day's activities.

All of downtown Smithville will be the setting for the festival, and there's even going to be a perimeter put up to designate a special PhotoZone, where all images taken from within this boundary can be used in your portfolio without needing to have a model release or other form of permission for you to use the shot commercially. For more information on the event, check out the official Texas Photo Festival site, located at: http://www.texasphotofestival.com/

After the event on Sunday is finished at 5pm, we'll be meeting at Pockets Grille at 205 Fawcett Street, just a block and a half away from where the festivities will be occurring. We'll go through winners of Photo of the Month along with standard announcements, and then we can relax, share images from the day, and maybe have a drink and a bite to eat.

J and I drove through Smithville on the way home from Austin this afternoon. He had a company picnic in Georgetown and we needed to go to Precision and get some goodies.

We saw no signs of anything special happening there today or tomorrow for that matter.

Look forward to a report from anyone who goes tomorrow.

What an AMAZING experience this was....

The town of Smithville basically shut down Main St. and a few side streets, with restricted access to enter. To enter, you had to sign a model release that any shot you took, or was taken of you was in the public domain. OK, so what did that get you?

They had a dozen or so little shops open with models staged throughout. They would do anything you asked of them as far as poses go. They had wandering models around town that would simply stop and let you shoot them, tell them how to pose etc. They had some cheerleaders and the local drum corp performing for action shots. They had the fire department there and one of their own doing modeling in front of a truck. Miss Rodeo Texas was there wandering around for shots. The skateboard park was full of more action shots. The local train depot was open with models in period correct train attire. A roving professional photographer was leading large groups from family shots under the tree, to the dog park for photographing animals. Simply put, an incredible number of photo opportunities in a variety of situations (light, flash, action, posed, dark, etc)

This is one event I'll attend next year for sure. Pics to follow once I sort them out.

Here's a few shots from the days events. The whole gallery is HERE

1044068333_Ea8xg-L-1.jpg

1044071207_DPNEF-L-1.jpg

1044073351_84pC5-L-1.jpg

1044077769_n75Vx-L-1.jpg

1044079867_YMbyX-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
I see you're a big fan of Miss Rojo Vaquera. :trust:

Excellent. Some great shots. I liked these two kids

1044072082_FyGqX-S-1.jpg

Back