• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New handlebars DR650 suggestion?

Reaction score
My 07 DR650 fell over on Saturday and bent the handlebars badly. Before I replace them with the stock 7/8, any suggestions for another brand? I like the current bend, sweep, and width. Think I would like them a bit higher though. The last time I bought handlebars was in 1976.

Thanks!!

Renthal is hard to beat. Almost anything is better than the OEM bars though.

I use the Protaper SE bars. Same outer diameter, but aluminum and thicker than the stock steel. Much less likely to bend and tends to dampen vibes some.

I use the ATV-mid bend just to get more rise so I don't have to use bar risers, but they have a lot of different bends that will match most stock ones.

The Cycle Gear in Austin stocks them, BTW.

forgot to ask. Can I add the stock vibration weights to the handlebar ends of the Renthals and Pro-Tapers? What will i have to add to screw the weights into the ends? Thanks again

You can use this part to mount the bar end weights if you still want to run them. They may not be needed with the aluminum. You can aways put the hand guards on when the new bar goes on too.

Yeah, I haven't found that I needed the weights with the aluminum bars. Besides they don't fit with the bark busters I use.

For my WR I put some Pro Taper SE's on and I love them. That thing has been abused more than I care to think about but the bars are still straight as an arrow.

On my Strom I put the Pro Taper fatbars because I liked added strength of them. I had to put a set of adapters on, but it was well worth it IMO. I've dropped it a few time and nothing happened to the bars at all.

Well, I received my new Renthal"CR high" bars yesterday. I havent had the opportunity to actually take the old bars off and put the new ones one(and probably one until I get this cast off and the pins out of my toe...). I did hold them next to the existing bars and the rise appears to be a lttle higher and the bars are wider than stock. I dont think the prior owner cut the existng bars down. I guess there is no issue with cutting the new bars down some.

What are some preferences for barkbusters from DR owners? I have Enduro Engineering models on my other bike. Are there some particular brands/models that DR riders prefer?

Thanks!!

I have the Cyrcas on my DR but probably anythings better then not having them.
http://store.cycraracing.com/cypralha.html

DSC04276.jpg

Fastway / Promoto Billit FIT System. I like that the inside of the brace mounts to the triple clamp.
DSCF0954.jpg

Back