• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is a Bandit right for me?

Reaction score
Howdy all.

In my long quest of finding the perfect bike I've come close several times, but never found "the one". This myriad assortment has included sport bikes, standards, sport tourers, and a cruiserish bike or two. No adventure bikes, and sadly no hypersports.

I do know after going towards the sporty side for a few years I prefer the UJMs. I never got all the way to a supersport or open class bike, but was close enough to know that unless my morning commute was the Nordschleife I wouldn't be able to live with it day-in, day-out.

Some of my favorites:

-2002 Triumph Daytona 955i

This bike "spoke" to me the first time I *shot* down the block. What a fun, well composed bike that disquised it's mass well and was comfortable despite the aggressive position. A true gentleman's street sport bike.

Unfortunately it wasn't quite comfy enough, not sedate enough to keep from doing absolutely stupid things all the time, was expensive to work on/maintain...and it was yellow.

-1992 Honda VFR 750

Easily the greatest all around bike ever made...or is it? This bike was good at everything, but not really good at anything. Just sporty enough to make you happy, but not completely quell the appetite. Just comfortable enough to take a long ride out on, but not quite enough to be happy the whole way back (even with risers), and just fast enough to bring a smile, but just lacking the "hysterical laugh inside your helmet" warp factor.

It did have character though, and what a well engineered bike.

I traded the VFR for an SV650, making somebody really happy, and hoping I'd found a good daily beater I didn't care about.

Sure enough though, I'm not content.

I want something that:

-has power to burn
-is beyond comfortable
-still fairly light (eg. no ST1100s or Connies)
-preferably naked although a good windscreen and some weather protection are welcome
-affordable used ($3k or so)
-dependable, well designed
-easy to work on
-strong aftermarket and easy to find (and cheap) parts
-somewhat attractive
-willing chassis and suspension, or good chassis with easily upgraded suspension

I don't care about going any faster than 100mph...I just want the bike to move when I feel like it, and yes, I want to be able to pull a wheel up on command. I hardly ever do it, but when I feel like...well, that's my business right, but I want that kind of power in a machine. A horse doesn't have to rear up on it's hind legs to get somewhere, but they do it for fun anyways. I guess my point is I've been riding for over a decade, nearly two dozen machines, and I've decided I want a lot of power on tap...preferably where I can use it without anyone passing thinking I'm trying to qualify on the pole.

So I've done a lot of reading, which I've always done, and back to the same conclusion I've had for years now:

I'm looking for either a ZRX1200 or a Bandit 1200.

I just want to know I'm right before I liquidate both the bike, and my other automotive project I'll have to sell in order to come up with the $3-4K it will take to find a good example of either.

Also, how much better will the Bandit be for me over the retro Kawi?

Anyone Bandit owners in Willis/Conroe/BCS willing to swap bikes with me and take a trip up 149 to Richards for coffee and a chat one morning? (I'm free on Fridays)

Am I crazy?

What else do you need to know?

To sum it up in a word, yes! We seem to have very similar taste in bikes. I have gone from a GS550 to a Superhawk to a ZX-6R to a Vulcan to a Versys to now owning a Bandit 1250sa. I considered the Concours 14, but it was just too heavy. I used my Versys for two-up touring with it's hard bags, but it needed just a bit more power. The only critical change to make the Bandit all day comfortable is the god-awful seat. If you just pick up a Corbin or Sargent you will have found the answer to all your needs. The available hard cases are great and replacing the stock windshield with a touring screen should make this bike competitive with Connies and ST's without too much of a problem.
Good luck!!

Based on my own experience with an 03 Bandit 1200:
-has power to burn The 1200 has this in spades. Roll on the throttle in any gear and it will go, no arguments. It's effortless up until about 100-110 mph, only then does it start to wind out
-is beyond comfortable Can't speak for more than a 250 mile day but I was fine afterwards..I'm 21 and 6'5" and find it far more comfortable than any bike I've ridden
-still fairly light (eg. no ST1100s or Connies) I could barely notice the weight difference between my B12 and my 96 Katana. They aren't light bikes but I think they carry their weight well
-preferably naked although a good windscreen and some weather protection are welcome You're looking for the S model then :)
-affordable used ($3k or so) Got my 03 for $2k.
-dependable, well designedOther than a few minor and easily fixed maintenance issues, as long as you keep putting oil in it and keep up with regular maintenance, your bike will do what you tell it. Something I need as I'm a poor student that can't afford alot of trips to the shop!
-easy to work on Oil change takes 45 minutes to drain + 5 minutes to un bolt/bolt up the oil drain plug. Just as an example of course. It's the joy of a naked bike.
-strong aftermarket and easy to find (and cheap) parts Two words: Dale Walker
-somewhat attractive Matter of taste but I think the B12 is one of the best looking nakeds out there. Especially in silver.
-willing chassis and suspension, or good chassis with easily upgraded suspension
Stock suspension isn't the greatest but for how I ride I'm satisfied with it. Enough adjustment for me to be happy. Bike flicks around surprisingly well given its heft. And you can swap shocks with GSXRs or Busas for <$100 on ebay

I think given your list of requirements, you're looking for a Bandit. :)

If you have any friends with a Bandit then ask them for the keys. I know if I were looking for a Ducati Monster, GSXR1000, R1 (carb and injected), Night Rod, and many others, I have friends who would toss me the keys for a few days and expect any damage repaired and fuel replaced. I am in kinda the same boat as you, but my options are the ZRX and V-Max, but none of my friends have these. I am also interested in the Honda 919.

Honda 919 was on the short list a few years back, but passed on the one opportunity I had.

Thanks guys for supporting my sickness. I'll just have to find a way to explain to my wife "one more time" why I'm swapping bikes again. Easier than swapping wives right?

I know a lot of happy divorced people, and unhappy married people...but that's another thread...and besides, my wife is doing better and trying harder...me too.

Well, I gotta figure out what I'm doing with the SV and the Volvo project, and may even part out the Miata turbo build I was *just piecing together.

I'd like to find a really nice example, preferably with the mods I want to save some money.

No, no, a Bandit is all wrong for you. What you want is a ZRX. :trust: :mrgreen:

Lawrenceville Honda has a 919 - brand new.

blokessportbike.com has a really nice ZRX in the for sale section (of a friends-located in Cumming, GA - just south of the mountais - hint, hint).

Bandit 1200 cams can be swapped for the gixxer cams.

The FZ1 is a good choice.

Bandit 1250 does it all well, and allot of it pretty good. It's heavier than those mentioned above but not by much. You can send the cams off to be worked but I'm happy being in top gear going 50mph and rolling the throttle on and passing people without shifting. See my avatar? Then you know which I like the best.

No, no, a Bandit is all wrong for you. What you want is a ZRX. :trust: :mrgreen:

Your FS ad started this.

I'd had Bandits on my mind every since I saw the VFR go. I had a shot at one years ago ($2500 with carb probs) and passed on it. I know I NEED to try one, and the ZRX is on that list too.

Your FS ad started this.

I'd had Bandits on my mind every since I saw the VFR go. I had a shot at one years ago ($2500 with carb probs) and passed on it. I know I NEED to try one, and the ZRX is on that list too.

Honestly the Bandit has been a huge blessing for me. It was on my motorcycle bucket list since I first heard about it and I managed to get one before I even got out of school.
A few weeks ago I was behind some guy on an R6. We both moved into the left lane, I was in fifth gear, and I watched him downshift twice. Don't know what gear he was in but it was whining. I rolled on the throttle and he gunned it. I had to roll off to keep from passing him in the same lane as we passed the truck. Should give you idea the kind of power the 1200 has.

In short, you want one. It calls to you in your sleep. Give in to the call! :rider:

Price? Link?

http://www.lhyonline.com/pages/newvehicles/viewcategories/25/37/2007/honda-motorcycles.aspx - $6299

but I'd rather have this: I love the cluster he installed
ZSALE04.jpg

ZSALE08.jpg

ZSALE01.jpg

2001 1200
8873 miles
Stick Coils
Fork Brace
Spin-on Oil Filter Adaptor
ZX9 Gauges with actual milage set by Kwick
Kwick’s 4 Degree Advancer
Second set of ZX9 Gauges
2005 Side Covers
Akrapovic Slip-on
CRG Bar End Mirrors
Stock Bar Ends Machined to Accept CRG’s
New DID Gold Chain - About 500 Miles on it
SilverStar Headlight Bulb
Frame Sliders
Front Fender Extender
New Set Of Michelin Pilot Road C2’s About 500 Miles on Them

$3900.00 OBO

Lawrenceville Honda has a 919 - brand new.

blokessportbike.com has a really nice ZRX in the for sale section (of a friends-located in Cumming, GA - just south of the mountais - hint, hint).

Bandit 1200 cams can be swapped for the gixxer cams.

The FZ1 is a good choice.

Bandit 1250 does it all well, and allot of it pretty good. It's heavier than those mentioned above but not by much. You can send the cams off to be worked but I'm happy being in top gear going 50mph and rolling the throttle on and passing people without shifting. See my avatar? Then you know which I like the best.
'nuff said

The only reason I would lean towards the 919 is the seat height and fuel injection....

Back to the original post, sorry for the threadjack.

Find a bandit for sale and see if they will let you test ride it....

I traded the VFR for an SV650, making somebody really happy, and hoping I'd found a good daily beater I didn't care about.

I've had this same idea...I'm not sure if this is what you meant but having a vehicle where you're not overly worried about maintenance or keeping it clean so you can actually enjoy it without all the worries is a nice thing to have.

don't know where you live but my 1250 is in jax, fla---fly and ride! it has ALL the bells and whistles :)

Back