• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My 650 Projects, like it or not?

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Cruce
After about a year of not being run, I finally hauled my [technically the wife's ;-) ] 2005 BMW 650 CS to Bryan from Abilene. Also brought the 1998 F 650 Funduro as well, but it was last run in May, however, it got stuck being outside all summer, instead of inside or at least under an overhead, which was the case for about a year in Hondo.

We knew there was a bearing problem on the CS, and based on what the "BMW" shop in San Antonio told us, it was supposed to be the final drive output shaft bearing. Long story short...that ain't the problem! Thought we were going to just give up on the bike and let it go as-is....thought the engine would have to come off to get to xmission box, which would be a nightmare on that particular machine and I don't have time to mess with that extensive of a project. Turns out, the problem is in the rear wheel bearing...still a few bucks to fix, but much more managable than trying to take an engine apart.

For now, CS is parked at a friends house under his back porch, and we have ordered a new rear assembly to replace the bad one. Then we will probably clean it up and let it go.

Funduro: The other unplanned project. Mainly, the problem was that tropical storm that went through Texas a couple of months ago. Bike unfortunately got left outside (was supposed to be temporary a couple of weeks, not four months!). Rain/storms came through, bike fell over onto my mother's car (at least she had a backup car :lol2:) Sitting sideways through the rains, water accumulated through tank and carbs.

Drained out tank and carbs, put some new fuel line with an inline filter added, some sea foam put in tank, flushed through, charged battery up, and finally got the thing to run somewhat smoothly today. Hopefully things will clear up without any further incidence.

Still have to work on getting windshield remounted, rebuild seat, rebuild forks, new tires and if I decide to keep this thing for some time, probably will get a new paint job. Then maybe a few other farkles for it as well. More than likely, this bike will become our "packing bike" to put in back of truck or a toy hauler and take to places like Big Bend or such. Otherwise, a good back-up bike when my primary RT is having maintenance, or its just too hot to ride the RT.

Fun-durance for now...
Bryan

Back