• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carroll County Arkansas - Kings River 10/21

scotty

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Last Name
smith
On Thursday, October 21, 2010 I found I had a little time for a ride. I have just added a two inch ROX rise to the XR650L and new foot pegs so I had to take a ride to find out how everything felt. I just had two new tires put on on the red stalion last week so everything was set to go. I rode three miles of pavement for gas and a tire pressure check and then one more mile to the dirt roads of Madison County, Arkansas.

The first dirt road south of my house leads through the Madison County Wildlife Management Area. The entrance is really hard to find but if you miss it there is another entrance about three more miles south. The first, hidden entrance, is the best and today I got a new surprise. I have ridden this five mile section many, many times but today I was in for a really pleasant surprise. As I started past a section the forest rangers normally have closed I saw an open gate out of the corner of my eye. I hit the brakes and headed into new territory. Because the road is rarely open it was pristine. The gravel was cover with freshly fallen leaves and the colors are just starting to look great. The bluffs and creeks were all new to me and everything looked as if I was far from home. I followed the roads for about 45 minutes and came to another open gate leading me to familiar territory.

I figure the gates were open for the hunting season. Bow and muzzle loader season started last week. I don't hunt but you better bet I will be back sporting my orange! It just doesn't seem right that the roads are open for hunting for a few weeks but never for riding. I will have to work on that.

After I reached familiar roads I headed for the river to check out the fall colors. I was pleased but I do know that this is the beginning of a great fall color season. It sure is great to ride and live in the Ozarks but I love riding every place I find. Below are a couple photos.

KingsRiver2.jpg

KingsRiver1.jpg

If your ever in the Eureka Springs area pm me and let me know. I love to ride!

Hi Scotty
I live in Houston, and am a part timer up in the Ozarks. Got a really sweet buffalo ranch not far from Kingston, it over looks the Boxley Valley and Beech Creek Hollow. I get up there as often as I can to ride those wonderful county roads, and the many great logging roads that are on my own property. Have you done the Western AR portion of the TAT yet? It is a wonderful way to spend a day. I ride a TW 200 most anywhere two wheels can go. Was just in Eureka last Month having a fine dinner at the Crescent Hotel before I rode back over to my ranch. I will be sure to give you a shout out next time I am up that way. Would enjoy having another Ozarks riding buddy. Cheers, Donny Stuart

Nice to meet ya Mr. Stuart. I love the area your ranch is located. I road that area from Boxley to Red Star and then over to have lunch at Jasper. I then road all the way home with only 1.2 miles of the hard stuff. I am putting together the Arkansas 500 for Earth Day (April 22, 2011) and am having a good time planning the route.
I, oddly enough, will be in Houston for the U of H cougars homecoming in November. It's a fundraising event for the non profit I work for. Unfortunately, I won't have my bike. Let's ride next time you are in the Ozarks.

How about that you went riding right past my buffalo ranch. I am exactly 4 miles south of the hwy 21 pavement as you ride towards Red Star. You may have noticed an old stone structure of really thick stack rock walls with goats that usually climb up and take naps on top of them. It is only a half mile or so past the Sweeden Creek Nature reserve.
I will be sure to let you know next time I'm up there.
Donny

Hi Scotty
I am planning to be up your way next week and the following week end. Any chance you could shake loose and head over to the Boxley area for some riding? If you think you would like to meet up over there you can reach me on my cell at 832-474-2990. Try to give me some advance heads up cause my cell reception is limited out on the ranch, and i don't have any internet options for instant messaging on the forum. I only get signal on a few certain hilltops, so it could take some time until I notice I missed a call...my wife finds it easier to text me than try to actually catch up with me on the phone.
Hope your doing well and our weather is good for riding.
Donny Stuart
Houston TX

Donny is at the ranch in arkansas. If you can meet up call or text him at 832-474-2990. from the wife

Back