• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fairing Buzz

Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Floyd
Before I go crazy, and totally rip my fairing to pieces...anyone had an annoying buzz from theirs?
About 3500 rpm, noticible especially in the lower gears, seems to be coming from the right side. I saw an earlier post about a fan issue, but I don't believe this is related to the fan.
Since I can't actually be riding and listening, I tried to get it to happen while sitting still...no luck. If it does isolate to the fairing, anyone know of a really thin foam or tape that is usable for rattle repair?
On my 1200, I actually had the headlamp mounts, inside the headlight box get loose. I had to cut apart the box and reglue it to repair it. Hope it's nothing like that.
Any ideas are welcome...thanks in advance:help:

Within reason try to maintain the speed it rattles at and use a hand to touch certain parts of the fairing. It should help you isolate the general location. If it doesn't help then its something inside of there touching something else.

Won't know what to use to fix it until you know where it is. Weatherstripping from a hardware store can always be used but usually its something simple like using a zip tie to keep a harness away from something else or a loose bolt that needs tightening.

Before I go crazy...

Am I too late?:duck:

Try installing rubber or nylon washers. I noticed that the top "connector" was a bit loose and that it would buzz. Another possible fix is to add some weather stripping to the front part that fits under the upper fairing.

You might be able to fix it just by tightening up the allen head screws - it worked for me.:zen:

I've noticed a little buzz sound coming from the front of the fairing as well...I only notice it in 1st and 2nd gear at around 3,500...I tried the method streak mentioned on touching certain parts while riding and noticed it was the gauges...Then I pressed my thumb firmly on them to stabilize them to see if the sound went away and sure enough most of the buzz sound went away so I think it helped isolate the main culprit....I think after taking the windscreen on and off and removing the gauges a few times may have resulted in some increased play or perhaps not installed "just right"...Perhaps some type of rubber striping or foam of some sort would eliminate it...

Am I too late?:duck:

Try installing rubber or nylon washers. I noticed that the top "connector" was a bit loose and that it would buzz. Another possible fix is to add some weather stripping to the front part that fits under the upper fairing.

You probably are...for that I'll have to ask my wife :lol2:
Thanks all of you for the suggestions...I'll try to do the ride thing while touching various parts (of the bike of course). Probably worse than texting while driving though. :trust:

Seems to me like a pretty obvious sign that you just need a new bike - perhaps a naked one with no fairing. No need to touch anything while riding naked except your handlebars. :rofl:

Seems to me like a pretty obvious sign that you just need a new bike - perhaps a naked one with no fairing. No need to touch anything while riding naked except your handlebars. :rofl:

I certainly won't touch that line ....:giveup:

Hey shotrod, do you have any FI modifications like a power commander or TFI box on your bandit ? The reason I'm asking is because I went riding today and wondering why it seems to happen only in the lower gears at 3,500 rpm and remembered that's exactly where folks seem to notice the lean condition or slight surging on the stock FI setup (lower gears 3,500 rpm)...I tried pressing on the gauges again and every time I applied pressure to them the buzz sound went away...However, the question remains why does this occur in the lower gears at that rpm ? Simply putting weather stripping may be only a band aid to the main issue which may be the lean spot that occurs in the lower gears at that rpm....Perhaps this is solved simply by small tweaks the FI via some type of fuel management device ?
Anyway, mine is completely stock and I've noticed its easy to ride around it by shifting through the lower gears before that rpm is reached and the upper gears its greasy smooth at all rpm...

No mods except removal of the secondaries, different gearing and better tires <g>
I was also able to quiet it down by pressing on the gauges.. I'll pull them loose in a day or so and see what I find. I have replaced the shield with a double-bubble. Maybe something's worked loose there. Thanks

Unless its something wrong like a needed throttle body sync or the vibrations become very strong its most likely just a loose part and the resonant frequency of that part.

The other thing is many parts are mounted with big rubber grommets inbetween the bolt head and mounting surface and not a metal to metal contact. Thats asking for vibration and buzzing when it loosens up as it always will. The factory puts them there to reduce vibrations but ironically over time they tend to cause them.

One thing I did notice was an increase in low rpm vibes when I mounted my Givi PLX racks.
I'll have to check out the panel vibes as I have that too at that certain rpm.

My fairing buzzes at 3500 on my stock '07 1250 too. It's driving me bonkers.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Once I get into it, I'll post what I find...even if I have to ride naked and touch everything
:-D

If I shift in the first two gears below 3,500 its nice and quiet...It would be nice to get rid of that lean spot anyway so I may try getting a power commander or something..See if that works but if not at least it would clean up the fueling.

Have you looked to see if your two rubber side mounts are still in? I have lost both of mine and am using other around the house fixes to replace them. Of couses there is no part number and no dealers seem to know what I am talking about. When they fall out I too get a buz going in the low RPM's.

Mark

Dont discount the fan shroud, it only snaps into place and I think with time the plastic fittings get loose and start to shake. I found this by starting the bike and getting to the rpm that it starts buzzing at then started touching parts feeling for vibration, I was unable to find any fairing parts making the noise so I started reaching up under the fairing and felt the shroud buzzing. I removed it and the buzzing stopped. Ive ridden it like this for over a year and have had no overheating issues even during very hot summer days. I think the reason we only hear the noise in lower gears is because wind noise cancels it out at speed.

What's weird is I went riding the other day trying to find the buzz sound and it wasn't there...Went to feel the gauges at 3,500 rpm and they were smooth...What's weird is the bike is so smooth but the fairing seems to have a buzz sound right at 3,500 in 1st and 2nd gear but it seems to come and go.

The rubber mounts that you access inside the fairing when removing the windshield ? Yeah those are tricky and easy to lose but the last time I changed the windshield they were there...It seems like it would benefit from perhaps some thicker/broader rubber because the stock ones seem like they can squeeze right through the fairing brace holes...

What's weird is/ ...... the fairing seems to have a buzz sound right at 3,500 in 1st and 2nd gear but it seems to come and go.

She is just saying "Twist me up, let me run, I like to play, give me gas, let me run...."

I aim to please :zen:

I used clear silicon and applied small dots the size of a match head between the headlight and the fairing. I think the whole perimeter of the headlight within the fairing could be done this way but I have not got around to it yet. If unsuccessful or you change your mind the silicon peels off quite easily.
The product I used is Silastic in Australia but I'm sure any clear silicon would be similar.

I used clear silicon and applied small dots the size of a match head between the headlight and the fairing. I think the whole perimeter of the headlight within the fairing could be done this way but I have not got around to it yet. If unsuccessful or you change your mind the silicon peels off quite easily.
The product I used is Silastic in Australia but I'm sure any clear silicon would be similar.

Sounds like a go to me...I took the instruments out the other day, and repositioned them with a bit of tape where their mounting contacts the inner fairing. Seemed to help so I'll go a bit further next time

THE BUZZING IS DRIVING ME BONKERS! Two hours and a foot of weatherstripping later and it still buzzes. Please shoot me.

Check the shroud around your radiator fan.

I hunted for a buzz forever that I could have sworn was around the instrument cluster, but was in fact the radiator shroud. I put some weather stripping around to make it snug, which stopped it, but next time I'm tinkering around I'll probably just remove the whole shroud.

Good luck,

trey

I stuff a piece of foam there awhile back. Much more betta. ;-)

Back