• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A local shop was actually as cheap as online and faster!

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
I've been putting off ordering a gasket kit for the KTM, and now that the weather is cooler [read: I can stand to be in the garage :lol2:] and I've got a jet ski project in cue, I wanted to go ahead and get started putting the KTM together.
I looked at my usual places online, and some others found via the googles, and for some reason decided to call the local dealer, Wild West. they quoted me the same price for the Moose kit as I could find online [which is less than another brand I found]. So I go in yesterday on my lunch to order it and put some money down, and I kicked a few tires while I was there*, I couldn't help myself :mrgreen:. Anyway, I get a call the next day [today] the gasket kit is already here :eek2:. That was FAST! :thumb: I'll pick it up tomorrow, and start putting her together soon. My goal is to have it ready to take to the forest in December.
So anyway, mad props to Wild West Honda [KTM, BMW, Kawasaki, BRP.....] in Katy. Roel at the parts counter was friendly and helpful, their price was great, and it got here super fast. :clap:

*they had some SAH-WEE-TAH katooms there. A 990 Adventure in white :drool:, the 350 sx-f :drool:, 990 Super Moto :drool: :drool:, the RC8 :drool: ...... I need to win the lotto :lol2:

My local dealer is the sister shop of Wild West but they don't have the same rep for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guys at Wild West Rock!! Dan in Service and Billy in parts are always
ready to help. They have a couple of good guys in sales and Roy and Frank
are definitely enthusiasts..... Never bought a bike there but have two tires.

I need a new chain & sprockets for my KLR and Motorcycles Unlimited was the same price (and I won't have to wait a week) as BikeBandit.com.

When did you get the KTM and what year is it? Do you have a page in the project bikes section?

I bought 2 motorcycles from Wild West after calling 3 other shops and getting MSRP + at all three. Wild west sold them to me for less than MSRP out the door. 2 years ago, before the recession.

When did you get the KTM and what year is it? Do you have a page in the project bikes section?

I've had it for about a year, and there will be a thread in the project bike section as soon as I start.

ahem, and what year is it?

sorry, 2006 KTM 250 sx-f [the 250 four stroke mx bike, but I'm hoping it'll make a wicked woods weapon]. The previous owner put about $1000 - $1200 into the suspension from a suspension guy name Donnie Elmer. He was a bigger dude so its set up for a rider of my weight

I think ir's a 05 could be wrong.. From the foot of dust sitting on it who could tell?

har har har.... sad thing is, in the past year your KTM has only been rider a few more times than mine

Nice, much better. Now everyone can tell you have the better FZ1 generation. :D

Use your local shop if they are good. They can remain in business that way.

It happened again today. Looked up a small part online, decided to see what Wild West would sell it for, and it was only $1 more. In this case tax was WAY cheaper than shipping.

I just had to buy an expensive part for my GS. Gulf Coast met or beat most of the online prices. I found one that was still a little cheaper on line with free shipping. Ended up saving $100 over buying local and paying taxes.

I try to support local business but sometime the cost delta is too large and I gotta go next door.

When I rode a Yamaha, I found my local Yamaha dealer was equal to or less than internet on most parts, when shipping and sales tax were added in as required. And it's fun to walk into a store and talk motorcycle trash.

Also found that some local shops will deal if asked. The quoted price is sometimes not final.

Just bought a 919 from these guys. Ed called me with a price, I went to see it,
negotiated a little bit because of no trade and the deal was done. To easy.....
It took longer to put a new inspection sticker on the bike then signing the paper
work with Ed. I would refer anyone to the great staff at Wild West in Katy.

Wild West has a great reputation and they have earned it. Good bunch of guys and gals. And I can tell some stories on Bo Burns. Especially about last year when he endoed a new R1200GS in California at Rawhyde.

So Mr. Buellboy, how many bikes have you got now? You must have quite the collection. But then you can never have too many motorcycles.

My first impression of them several years ago wasn't that great. I had a hard time getting help from a sales guy, but again it was many years ago. They've really upped their game and the past several times I've been in there to buy stuff its been great. Which is why I don't mind paying just a little more there.

I do have my favorite online retailer that I check first for most things

Inventory at a record low due to the recession.....
Sold my XB12X Ully last week (thank you Ed at Global)
so I am left with a cool silver 919 and a fast red 1125CR.
I will ride today (maybe both) before the cold front hits!!

Back