PDA

View Full Version : BMW GS1200

fsierrai
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
hello I am new here in Texas and in the US. I am loocking to buy a BMW GS 1200. does anyone have any comments about ths bike. maybe what year had what issues? or maybe someon can recomend some other bike similar to this one?

thanks

Fernando

Desert Skies
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Depends on your usage. I like mine, 80 road, 20 dirt here.

Some here like em some don't, you'll get all kinds of info from both sides.

BTW, Welcome. :wave:

Desert Skies
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Oh, and have a look here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) for a wealth of info on the GS.

kurt
11-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I recommend 2007 and above because they do no have the servo brake assist.

Tourmeister
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Welcome to Texas and to TWT! :wave:

BMW is pretty good about doing recalls. So any issues to which they will admit usually get fixed. If you buy used, I think you can get the VIN and call a BMW dealer to see if that bike has been in for recall work and they can let you know if it still has any outstanding recall issues. I too would opt for a newer bike without the servo assist brakes, but that is really more of a personal preference than any kind of serious issue. Mine is an 05 and has the servo assist.

So... Where are you from? Gonna be here long? Check the Upcoming Rides/Trips/Events section as there is a lot going on in the Houston area. Also, the upcoming Pie Run event is just West of Houston this month. See here for details:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52304

Pie Runs are a great way to meet folks and check out a lot of bikes!

hardybaker
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
But there are some of us that love the servo brakes of the 05 and 06.

kurt
11-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Freak! :mrgreen: I can go either way, it wouldn't prevent me from buying one at all, hence the 2005 RT last year.

Kit_McConnico
11-11-2010, 12:59 AM

Me too. Servo brakes are expensive to replace if they go out so I'm told, but I stinking love them. No bike I've ever been on stops like this.

No matter what brakes you have you'll surely love this machine. It does everything. Shop around, buy used, and keep an eye on ebay, bike trader, and the like. You'll find the bike you're looking for.

DFW_Warrior
11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Also BMW is very, very good about letting folks demo their bikes. I've been into my local BMW shop quite a few times just to kick tires, and without fail they almost always ask me if I want to take one out for a spin.

I'd guess you could put the V-Strom in the same category if you really wanted to. It is a fair bit cheaper than the GS, but if you go up to two of them side by side you will see why. The fit and finish of the GS is in a whole different class. You get what you pay for I think. The Strom is a good bike, but still a little bit cheaply put together compared to the BMW.

Desert Skies
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
When I was looking at bikes, the 1L Strom and GS was my choice. I went to the Zook dealer and ask for a ride on one. Was told bluntly, "Buy it then you can ride it!"

Went to the Beemer dealer, "No problem!" I rode the GS and didn't like the buzzyness it had so I started looking for someone with a Strom that would let me ride it.

Two weeks went by and Gulf Coast called me and said they run the valves and synced the TBs and would I like another demo. Went in rode it, liked it and rode it home that day.

Demo rides do allot for bike sales. :rider:

ben1364
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I recommend that you visit the IBMWR mail list and ask this question. The GS is a fantastic machne.

hello I am new here in Texas and in the US. I am loocking to buy a BMW GS 1200. does anyone have any comments about ths bike. maybe what year had what issues? or maybe someon can recomend some other bike similar to this one?

thanks

Fernando

Red Brown
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I'd guess you could put the V-Strom in the same category if you really wanted to. It is a fair bit cheaper than the GS, but if you go up to two of them side by side you will see why. The fit and finish of the GS is in a whole different class. You get what you pay for I think. The Strom is a good bike, but still a little bit cheaply put together compared to the BMW.

Our Japanese friends across the Pacific will soon have this baby gracing our shores. I can't wait to test ride Rich Simmon's beast at next year's pie run.

http://ridethewildwind.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/yamaha-super-tenere-2010-revealed.jpg

Still, the BMW GS legend continues to crush.

RB

DFW_Warrior
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Our Japanese friends across the Pacific will soon have this baby gracing our shores. I can't wait to test ride Rich Simmon's beast at next year's pie run.

I'm not going to wait, I'll just go ride one this weekend.:trust:

hardybaker
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
It's so nice to have "the benchmark" that all others are compaired to. The BMW R1200GS.