• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Might be interesting, might be a mistake...

quidni

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Carla
might be an interesting mistake.

Long story short:
Friend D has an '82 Goldwing that "needs some work" and a "Dukes of Hazard"-type coupe (doors won't open, rides rough). D also has a wife with disabilities who can't comfortably ride in/on either, and 3 kids.

Friend W helped Friend D out in the purchase of a used Ford Expedition, with the understanding that D would be selling the bike and car to pay back part of what W put out for the Ford.

D's wife's cousin wanted the bike. Deal fell through since the cousin's wife threw a fit.

Friend W owes us some money from when we helped out when he was in a bind. Value of what we loaned is roughly equivalent to the current value of said 'Wing.

You see where I'm headed? :giveup: The barter system, in all it's glory. :lol2:

Hasn't happened just yet as D needs to reclaim the bike from the cousin, but it's starting to look like the 'Wing will wind up here, as a "project bike" for me.

At the very least, it will need all fluids/filters replaced, and new tires. I don't know what condition the motor is in (I just know "it starts"). Beyond that - it could run anywhere from a few hundred $$ to a couple thou before it's fit to ride again. I'm planning to take it to RPM here in El Paso for an estimate on what it would take to make it safe. I'm in no hurry.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom should this ol' lady wind up in my driveway?

Advice depends on whether it's a project bike to keep and ride after your restore or you plan to sell it. And do you enjoy working on bikes?

If plan is to sell after restore make a budget and stick to it. Also research resale prices in your area first. 80's Wings are not high value bikes. Might be better to just sell as is.

_

What is "DAMHIKT"?

I will probably be keeping the bike, or at least keeping it in the family, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. :mrgreen:

Found out my fav' mechanic doesn't work on older 'Wings - he says "he doesn't get along well" with them. However, he's referred me to a diff. shop that he says can "work wonders with them" and his referral is a good endorsement so I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

And maybe I'll learn a few things about maintenance along the way.

As I said, I'm in no hurry. First is to get it safe and legal, and then to take whatever time afterward to tweak and play with it.

Any specific problems endemic to older 'Wings that I should look out for?

Thanks!

Turn it into a cafe racer! I would have said chopper but choppers are old hat... Cafe racers are where it's at now. Cafe racers are the new chopper. She will make a sweet cafe racer! I look forward to seeing pix when she's finished. Keep us updated on her progress. :rider:

HEY EVERYBODY!.. HAVE Y'ALL HEARD?.. QUIDNI IS BUILDING A CAFE RACER OUT OF AN OLD GOLDWING!

Oh... You're not turning her into a cafe racer?.. I saw somebody on here saying something about how you were going to turn her into a cafe racer... Who knows how these rumors get started?.. :-P

Back