PDA

View Full Version : Bobber?

KenWg19
11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Okay, just about every time I post something on this site I feel compelled to reiterate my noobness. So, once again, I have never rode a motorcycle but will be buying my 1st one soon. Now, as I've spent the last several months researching bikes to figure out what my 1st should be, I have come across several things that I really like the looks of but know nothing about. One of them is the bobber style bike. (NOT a raked out chopper)

Before anyone freaks out, let me clearly state that I WILL NOT be buying a bobbed anything as my 1st bike. That said, I love old school cool, and about the sexiest thing I've come across is the old WWII Harley's that were bobbed out. However, not knowing anything, I am curious about other people's opinions on their "ride-ability." I don't care if you don't like the looks of them; I do. What I want to know is are they as fun to ride as they look? Are they comfortable (generally speaking)? I'm not talking about long trips or adventure rides... I'm talking about around town and short trips.

I have dreams of one day, maybe years from now, owning a cool bobber. Am I dreaming about a cool looking bike, while setting myself up for an uncomfortable ride? To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, there's a guy on ADVrider.com who's selling a 2001 VStar 650, bobbed out with a WWII style paint job for $2500 that's making me drool.

What say you on bobbers?

Ken

DFW_Warrior
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
There is nothing that should freak anyone out about a bobber. There are lots of them than are bobbed and still safe as can be. If they still have their brakes, and haven't undergone a frame butchering, they are just fine for newbies IMO.

bluedogok
11-29-2010, 08:57 PM
There is an old Honda CB350 bobber that is parked at my office at times, it still looks like a work in progress for him. You can make almost any UJM or cruiser style bike into a bobber.

STJimbo
11-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Something like this?

whoa
11-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm with ya man, whether a first bike or your 31st, bobbers rock. You could build one on a budget, and since they tend to be minimalistic, modifications can be done with moderate effort. Of course, I'm not talking show pieces, but we want a bike we can ride .... right?

I know someone with a Goldwing and am trying to taunt him into bobbing that bad boy. Post pics when you get yours.

oh yeah .....
http://99seconds.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/triumph-bobber.jpg

owtcast
11-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Like's been said... If it's safe, why the heck not?
Something my brother just threw together a couple weeks ago. Has a few hundred dollars in it, and it's a nice riding bike. Very comfortable too. The only issue I had while riding it was I had to dodge the puddles because there is no front fender. Started out a dormant GS850 in someone's garage sale. He put a little time in it freshening the wear parts and fluids, tuned it up and voila.:mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs906.snc4/71943_153187781385019_100000813955659_223458_85976 _n.jpg

Pic of my buddies street fighter/cafe. Started out a CBR900. Some punk in a mini truck in Fort Lauderdale pulled out in front of him and crushed him and the bike. He bought it back from the insurance co. and this is what he made it into.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v217/53/97/1125799024/n1125799024_30029424_7169.jpg

KenWg19
11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Cool. I appreciate the responses. I'm still not gonna get one as a first bike, but I can definatey see myself on one in the future. I just didn't know if they were a **** to ride or not.

ken

gotdurt
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Not true bobbers, but a bobberish look...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/images/2011-Motorcycles/landing/large/iron-883.jpg
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/images/2011-Motorcycles/landing/large/forty-eight-2.jpg

whoa
11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I just didn't know if they were a **** to ride or not.

Suffer for your passion man! It's ok to feel a little abused after climbing off your ride. All day on the Thruxton is a little rough, but it's a good "little rough".

DaveAlvarado
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
That H-D Forty Eight is SEXY in person.

It's like they predicted the Cafe Racer fad and built a stock one. All it needs is clip-ons.

The main things to look out for on a bobber:

- You can lose lean clearance if the suspension has been slammed
- High monkey bars make a bike harder to control
- No fenders mean you get water in your face and mud up your back

If you're ok with those things, no reason not to ride a bobber. I don't know if I'd recommend learning on one, but no reason not to bob your first bike after a while or buy one for your second.

Pedro
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Like's been said... If it's safe, why the heck not?
Something my brother just threw together a couple weeks ago. Has a few hundred dollars in it, and it's a nice riding bike. Very comfortable too. The only issue I had while riding it was I had to dodge the puddles because there is no front fender. Started out a dormant GS850 in someone's garage sale. He put a little time in it freshening the wear parts and fluids, tuned it up and voila.:mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs906.snc4/71943_153187781385019_100000813955659_223458_85976 _n.jpg

That GS turns me on...

KenWg19
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I've already decided that my 1st bike will definately be either a DRZ400 or a DR650 and I have no intention of trying to destroy their utility by bobbing them (besides how stupid I think that would look). The idea is that once I've got some miles behind me and have taken some classes, maybe then I'll be able to make my bobber dreams a reality.

I actually went to a HD store the other day and looked at those 883's. I do like them, but I cannot justify spending that kind of cash on such a bike when people are selling similar (non-HD) used bikes for $3k. I'm typically pretty frugal, so I'll probably never own a Harley or a BMW. I like cheap beer, cheap women and cheap thrills... it's worked for me so far.

ken

whoa
12-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I do like them, but I cannot justify spending that kind of cash on such a bike

Actually ..... :) Last time I was hunting a used Sportster, they were priced pretty high. If you search around, you'll find some reasonable prices. I'm still going to get one, but I think a motard first.

Since you mention DR, have you seen them configured motard? Pretty sweet. Some good hooligan fun which will be perfect for your bobber prep.

bigphillip79
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Dang. For a first bike its hard to beat a small Honda CB. They are cheap and take well to bobbing with little effort. For a bob all you got to do is unbolt or cut off anything you don't "need". All the safety stuff should stay making the bike very ridable.