• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buell Test Rides

Does this include the new Ulysses?

Most Buell dealers will give you a test ride any time you want. When I bought my used 2000 S3 a couple of weeks ago, I test rode it and the XB9S. The dealer had a few City-X's marked down from $8500 to $7,000. I test rode one of them at the Honda Hoot and it was . . . well . . . a hoot. Think of a very nimble sportbike with upright ergos and a hopped up Sportster motor. Lotsa fun.

I am in if we can ride the Ulysses. I may just attempt to sit on it though, unless they have the low seat in house.

That is a NICE dealership, Squidward demo'd an XB12S there. There's one younger salesman there that rode with him (he was real nice, his last bike was an RC51 I think), he was totally whipping around on....let me think, it was a used Goldwing maybe? I forget.

Kim

The ulysses is the "adventure tour" they have out? Or, that's what it's supposed to be, right? I'd like to try it, too. I haven't had a real high opinion of Buell, but my mind is still open to them if they can get their QC poop together. I meet about 4 ex-buell owners that got burned and hated the experience to every one that loves the marque. It's a little confusing, the polarization. The only way I can explain it to myself is maybe their QC lets too many lemons out of the factory. And, that's something that could be improved upon.

Everyone in the world who ever had an XS650 loved it. I bought one that was a *** and have never liked those things since. But, I'm the only one I know that doesn't have fond memories of XS650s. I think mine may have been a lemon, but I'm more inclined to believe that most folks didn't ride theirs as hard as I did mine. I think that bike had a seriously deficient oiling system at high rpms for extended periods. I don't think it was QC in that bike's case. I wonder if something like that is going on with the Buells? I kinda doubt it since the motor is pretty straight forward and a 50 year old basic design.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a few test rides on the newer ones. Last one I rode was the old S3/lightening, whatever, the tube framed ones. I wasn't very impressed with those bikes. The newer design is a WHOLE lot easier on the eyes, though, down right good lookin'.

To me the only problem with Buell is the requirement that every bike have a sportster motor in them. Even though they motors are heavily modified it's still pretty much a sportster motor, think of the cliche: You can't polish a turd. I've tested Buells a bunch of times and I always start laughing at the stop lights because of the swarm of bees noise that follows you around, that's the fan trying to cool the motor. I also find hilarity in the turn signals bouncing up and down like a bobblehead in your car. I get annoyed at how slow the revs go down on the bike while I'm trying to slow down too. But the designs are handsome and the principles behind the design appeal to me too, it just seems let down by that choice of motors. I keep hoping for the VROD motor to be used soon.

Yeah, the ol' Sportster was never intended to make the "power" of a Buell, either. I think they have to be way overstressed. I think that could be a bit of a problem with 'em if they're flogged a lot.

I don't like the swingarm on the Buells. It's the geometry, way too short! This is necessitated by that longish motor. The shorter the swingarm, the harder the set up. There is a reason Yamaha stacks the tranny to shorten the motor so the swingarm can be longer. Think about it, pure logic.

I like the rest of the chassis, though, and the suspension is classy. That front brake has the bling, but from what i've heard, it don't work too well, lotsa fade. HD never really did figure out brakes.

A motorcycle should be designed so that all components mesh, work with each other, the R6 example of shorter motor/longer swingarm is an example. You don't necessarily get a good result when you try designing a modern chassis around a 50 year old motor design.

Last edited:
Jack Giesecke said:
I don't like the swingarm on the Buells. It's the geometry, way too short! This is necessitated by that longish motor. The shorter the swingarm, the harder the set up. There is a reason Yamaha stacks the tranny to shorten the motor so the swingarm can be longer. Think about it, pure logic.

Of course they could get some of that length back if they weren't so committed to having the shortest wheelbase possible.

Sleepy Weasel said:
Of course they could get some of that length back if they weren't so committed to having the shortest wheelbase possible.

Yep, the thing supposed to have the wheel base of a TZ250! I read a big test in Motorcyclist about it, all sorts of tech stuff on the chassis some time ago. However, the TZ has a VERY short engine, stacked tranny, and two stroke. But, the TZ is built for one purpose, to produce quick lap times on a closed circuit. They didn't care if the bike had "soul". You gotta have that 45 degree Harley idle lope, ya know. That's "soul" I'm told. Pocketa, pocketa, pocketa.....

Although my heart throbs for the one-two of some Italians I have been eyeing, I might ride a new Rod if it was close and I could convince the boss I need my flex time. Will advise.

pdef said:
I am in if we can ride the Ulysses. I may just attempt to sit on it though, unless they have the low seat in house.

If you just want to sit on one, Liberty(?), the old Russ Welch dealership has one. It's tall but sweet. Don't expect much help from the sales force though.

ttyl,
Glen

P. S. - Sorry to hear about your bike...at least the thieves had good taste.

Jack Giesecke said:
I don't like the swingarm on the Buells. It's the geometry, way too short!
Good news: Buell just came out with the Lightning Long XB12Ss. The swingarm is 2" longer and they say the frame is also stretched a bit, so maybe they're starting to re-think the ultra-short wheelbase thing.

As far as the motor goes, they claim to have beefed up the internals to handle the higher power output. So far, I haven't heard of an unusual number of motor failures in the XB series.

Does it sound like I'm trying to talk myself into getting one? Let's just say that it's a definite maybe. ;-)

Hey guys,

I'm a proud owner of my second Buell, and I gotta say I haven't ever had any problems with my bike, as far as QC goes. I have heard of one or two lemons, but I've never heard of a lemon that the factory didn't bend over backwards to fix up.

The engine is pretty dang strong. I would never worry about overstressing it just because it's a sportster motor. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone overstressing it at all. The XB's seem indestructable.

You're right that the engine doesn't rev down real fast, and I believe that's a major difference between the twins and IL4s. Just what I've heard, I haven't ridden a whole bunch of IL4s so I'm not the expert on that one.

Sounds like this dealer is a good one. I've never been to this one before, but I know it can be very hard to find a good one.

Any questions on the Buell let me know and I'll see what I can do to find out. I get a lot of info from www.badweatherbikers.com, they really know what they're talking about.

scratch said:
Good news: Buell just came out with the Lightning Long XB12Ss. The swingarm is 2" longer and they say the frame is also stretched a bit, so maybe they're starting to re-think the ultra-short wheelbase thing.

As far as the motor goes, they claim to have beefed up the internals to handle the higher power output. So far, I haven't heard of an unusual number of motor failures in the XB series.

Does it sound like I'm trying to talk myself into getting one? Let's just say that it's a definite maybe. ;-)

More good news, unless it's just a foul rumor... I understand that the frames between the 9's and the 12's are identical, just a question of drivetrain, so can a stretched XB9 be far from production?

Welcome to our forum, Jared.

Your Buell always seems to get some attention when you bring it to the Plano meet and greet.

And, if you poke around at some of those M&G announcement threads, you might see some pictures of you and your bike (also Sam, obviously)...

Well, I was really down on Buells for a while. I've begun to take a wait and see and give 'em some slack attitude, lately, cause it really does seem like they're tryin'. I don't know if I'll buy one anytime soon, but I'm not totally alien to the idea anymore. I really wanna see their version of "adventure touring". Might be interesting cause the bike, while the chassis is too tight by design to suit me, is quite light. Light is right, ya know, especially when you get off the pavement. I'm sure it's no cow trailer, but that's not what people buy adventure tourers for. I really like the KLR and the DR650 VStrom because they're a lot lighter than the liter adventure tourers, but the Buells are as light or lighter than a DR650 and have more motor with lots of torque.

Just in case...the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News is out with a test article of the Ulysses. In reading it, sounds like some of the staff like the bike. Going to have to find one for some hands on time to see just what the big deal is.

Bump...

Talked to Robin, one of the sales guys. No reservation needed, just show up & bring your license.

American Eagle Harley Davidson opens up at 9am Thursday & Friday, 8am Saturday. He said they should be ready to go when the doors open.

http://www.americaneaglehd.com/
(940) 498-5000

hfpieratt said:
To me the only problem with Buell is the requirement that every bike have a sportster motor in them. Even though they motors are heavily modified it's still pretty much a sportster motor, think of the cliche: You can't polish a turd.

About the only similarity between the current Buell motor and a solid mount Sportster motor is the bore and stroke. Different cases, different transmission, different heads, differnt pistons, you get the idea.

To each his own. After a bike where routine maintance required removal of the fairing to disconnect a radiator in order to drain coolant, the air-cooled simplistic nature is appealing. The less stuff there is to break, the less stuff there is that might break.

uberhawk said:
To each his own. After a bike where routine maintance required removal of the fairing to disconnect a radiator in order to drain coolant, the air-cooled simplistic nature is appealing. The less stuff there is to break, the less stuff there is that might break.

That's sorta why I loved my two strokes. Unfortunately, the EPA didn't seem to like 'em. The RDs were super simple! The RD400 was a super street bike, simple, reliable, fast (for its time). I sorta tore mine up on the track in three years. :rolleyes: The motor never failed me. The bike just didn't look so good with the gas tank caved in, among other cosmetic things.

Now, my XL600R was an air cooled thumper, pretty simple stuff, too. I like thumpers. They don't make three digit horsepower numbers, so who cares? I still sorta want an MuZ. The Skorpion Cup was just SO cool!

Back