• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment - #45: THREE (Entry) - Due December 20th

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
For this go around the theme is THREE. Is this an age, a number, a state of mind? That is for you to show us, use your imagination and do your best to capture Three of something, or of something Three

Have fun with this, camera phones, p&s or dslr's, or even film.... all shooters are welcome.

Your photograph has to have been taken between November 29th and midnight, December 20, 2010.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted.

Photographs should stand on their own for your interpretation of "Three", paying close attention to composition and technique.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until midnight, December 20, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross3.jpg

I had hoped that more would have played with this one. In my mind this was an opportunity to get creative in your kitchen or garage, workshop or backyard, and go create some images. No Bike requirements this time, no other prescription than it had to be three of something or something three.

So I will get on with my critique and selection.

achesley: 3 hearts set in a stained glass window. I love the message, but I feel the lighting is harsh/hard. It also looks like when the photo was cropped the bottom bit of the cross was lost. It is hard to get a descent exposure when shooting through glass on a bright day, but your were able to not blow it out too badly, I do think that the photo could be improved if the back ground was a toned down a bit.

britishsteele71: 3 very pretty flowers, nothing that pretty near me blooms this time of year. From your other thread, your daughter is showing a keen eye for composition and interesting subjects. Keep encouraging her! Maybe it is just my monitor but the flowers (the interest where I want to look) seems a little soft, while the stalk is sharp. I would have liked to see this reversed where the flowers were sharp. I like the colors and the bokeh (blurry background).

voni: you have captured a very nice landscape during golden hour it appears. If not for your explanation in the planning and discussion thread, I would not have readily been able to discern "Three" from your photo though.

PGlaves: Your photo makes me smile. 3 Mariachi', 3 Sombrero's, and I bet if I stare at it some more I can find more elements of 3. I am not positive but I think that your lens is dirty, as there is a small distortion/opaqueness that I think I see on the lower left (green mariachi's feet and ground). I think that I would have liked to see this with a bit different composition. Maybe with the camera down lower to make the 3 mariachi more dominating over the horizon line.... Nice subject, nice color, a tad over exposed, over all a good capture!

Krashdragon: 3 hard at work on a custom with a kick start. Soooooooooooooo many jokes waiting to be made, but I will not go there... nope... not me. :) I get the impression that this photo was a "photo of opportunity or chance" and not one that was planned and created. I am most probably wrong, as I am normally, but there is so much going on in this photo. The back ground is very busy, with the extraneous modes of transportation (truck, motorcycles, bicycles). The crop for me is distracting... I am wanting to know what I am missing, what was over to the right, or left of the photo. There is a bunch happening in that small photo and it does tell a story.

M38A1: The maniac whom started all of this insanity. I can see quite well that you put thought into creating a photograph that told a story, 3 of a kind. I however liked your sample photograph better than your submitted. You have excellent lighting and have managed your depth of field well. Your EXIF is chopped, so I am guessing your macro lens? I do find your finger nail distracting.... but then I look at mine now and their dirtier than yours in the photo... What that says about my powers of observation... beats me too!?!. A technically correct photograph that does tell a story.

So.... With all that said... the photo that kept my interest the most, and the one that made me smile the largest....... PGlaves..... Thanks for capturing your take on 3, I am guessing they are in Terlingua somewhere, and I am getting ready to scour my archived photos to find these guys. Are they near the Kathys Kosmic Kow Kafe? Looks like they would fit right in.

You have the ball!

Congrats Paul.... Like Duke mentioned, I kept coming back to look at this one myself.

And thanks Duke for the great assessments.

.....now - off to go scrub my fingernails. :rofl:

Thanks, I liked that photo. It was somewhat planned. I wanted to photograph the fronts of them. But the light was all wrong for that and the background would have been terrible. So I shot it the other way. I don't doubt the lens might have had a spot on it. I shot that with the little pocket Finefix Z100FD that lives in the pocket of my riding suit.

I'll be back with a new thread soon.

p.s. Yes they are in Terlingua. Study Butte actually. On the west side of 118 just down the hill approaching from the north. In front of the hardware store and India's deli, before the post office and the bank.

p.s. Yes they are in Terlingua. Study Butte actually. On the west side of 118 just down the hill approaching from the north. In front of the hardware store and India's deli, before the post office and the bank.

I have been down that way half a dozen times in the past 3 years and I do not think that I have seen them. I know exactly where your speaking about though.... Hmmmmmm I am taking a couple of days off next week.... Might be an opportunity for me to try and recreate your shot! :chug:

Back