• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Side Stand Mod for BMW.

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Heath
I was looking for a project and stumbled across this http://www.xs4all.nl/~hkuijer/sidestand.htm

I know nothing about BMW's other than i want one :) So, dont have any idea of the accuracy behind this. But, Looks like it would be a simple yet usefull modification.

Roy

Interesting. MY GS will start and run with the stand down if you are in nuetral. I do it all the time :shrug:

Tourmeister said:
Interesting. MY GS will start and run with the stand down if you are in nuetral. I do it all the time :shrug:

Kinda what i was wondering as far as the "accuracy" of this.....Anyway, sitting at home waiting for the police, someone tried to steal bike last night :mad:

cannondale said:
Kinda what i was wondering as far as the "accuracy" of this.....Anyway, sitting at home waiting for the police, someone tried to steal bike last night :mad:
Yuk, Roy. Sounds like the weren't successful - was there any damage?

They destroyed the lock cylinder Chuck, and gashed the @@@@ out of the triple clamp(if thats what its called). Coulda been a lot worse, but im setting here wondering if i should go to work or wait for the crooks down the road to open. Im half tempted to keep on beating on the cylinder till get it to break loose. But concerned about doing more damage. I know in my world (cars) a damaged lock cylinder housing can run into big bucks. On my way right now to ron ayers website to look at a parts break down on cylinder.
On a side note. THIS SUX!!!!! Bad part is if i would have just put the cover on her this may not have happened. But, so goes life... On the bright side, in a mere few months she will be sitting in an insulated (still contemplating A/C and Heat) garage. :D
Sorry if this post is all over the place, but im a little torqued at the moment.

BMW boxers start and run on the side stand (in neutral) without danger of oil pressure loss. The oil pickup is sitting in about 3.5 quarts of oil near the bottom of the sump. Unless your engine is dangerously low on oil, you'll have no difficulties running your boxer on the side stand.

Back