• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire Tools - Need to buy in Austin Texas

Reaction score
In about a week or so, another member and I will be changing tires on his dual sport (tube type on spoked rims).
I will also be changing the tires on my bike (tubeless / aluminum wheels).
At some point, there will be one other individual out here in the Boondocks that will be changing his (sport bike).

These will not to go in a road side repair kit, they will remain with the stand for future use.
In the past, I have changed car, truck , and tractor tires manually before but never a low profile motorcycle tire (tubeless). I am almost possitive that standard auto tools would not be such a good idea or are they?
I have looked at a couple of different types (for mc's) on the internet, but decided it would probably be better to get some recommendations from those that have had some experiences with this.

What type / style / brand?
*** Local retailer???
Just a general why you recommend these.

Thanks in advance.

The best tire spoons by far are Kent tool co , they have built big truck tire tools since the beginning of trucks and now make some small tools that are easy to carry on a bike and a really nice size for the home shop . Northern tool sells the small tools , You would have to go to a truck tire supply or truck parts place for the big tools but they are way too big for bike tires . Motion pro stuff is junk compared to professional tools . SEYA

Cycle Gear carries MotionPro spoons. Get at least two of the longer ones and a couple of the shorter version. MotionPro makes quality tools. The longer ones are just easier to use, the shorter will hook under the spokes for hands free use.

Cycle Gear in Austin, Stockton TOOLS. BUY ONE, GET THE NEXT 1/2 OFF. They have a few tire spoons and levers that look a mirror image to what i buy from motion pro. I was just there yesterday and they had several sets.

I have motion pro ones. I would suggest two of the larger ones, and one of the smaller spoons. Occasionally, i have to change an especially diffcult tire by hand and i find that combination to work the best for me. I would also suggest a couple of those little anti scratch things that clip on the rim.

Not a tool suggestion but a tire changing tip. Lay the new tire out in the sun to let the sun warm up the rubber and the tire will go on easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a tool suggestion but a tire changing tip. Lay the new tire out in the sun to let the sun warm up the rubber and the tire will go on easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. Good tip. I have to use that one sometimes with my tire changing machine. That rubber is REALLY hard when its cold

The best tire spoons by far are Kent tool co , they have built big truck tire tools since the beginning of trucks and now make some small tools that are easy to carry on a bike and a really nice size for the home shop . Northern tool sells the small tools , You would have to go to a truck tire supply or truck parts place for the big tools but they are way too big for bike tires . Motion pro stuff is junk compared to professional tools . SEYA

Never heard anyone say Motion Pro is junk. Lightweigh and ideal to carry on a bike.
If ya want Ken tools then All Tire Supply in Houston has a massive inventory of them and they ship fast. I have a set of steel spoons and they are very heavy duty. Good ones to leave off the bike as they are heavy.
JMHO

if you want home shop tire tools, harbor freight has some 24" tire irons (lots of leverage) for $6 each, and a 20% coupon will work on multiples

Cycle Gear carries MotionPro spoons. Get at least two of the longer ones and a couple of the shorter version. MotionPro makes quality tools. The longer ones are just easier to use, the shorter will hook under the spokes for hands free use.

those things SUCK!

AS Cagiva said, Kent Tools are the freakin' BOMB!

I can change my tires on the Capopnord like I was changing a set of D606s.

best $34 you can spend on tire irons, and the last ones you'll buy

those things SUCK!

AS Cagiva said, Kent Tools are the freakin' BOMB!

I can change my tires on the Capopnord like I was changing a set of D606s.

best $34 you can spend on tire irons, and the last ones you'll buy

Not to be a downer, but my Motion Pro ones will probably be the last ones I'll ever buy. They changed quite a few tires and still look and preform as good as new. The Ken stuff looks darn good, and I really like the little extra kink they put on them, but the Motion Pro stuff certainly isn't junk.

Not to be a downer, but my Motion Pro ones will probably be the last ones I'll ever buy. They changed quite a few tires and still look and preform as good as new. The Ken stuff looks darn good, and I really like the little extra kink they put on them, but the Motion Pro stuff certainly isn't junk.

As stated earlier, i have motion pro tire tools for my machine and i agree they arent junk. That harbor freight stuff is junk. I wouldnt trust there stuff. I also have many other motion pro tools and they are all good

I don`t know what kind I have other than the handle is red and they were probably the cheapest that I could find at the time :trust: I think they work ok , I have not bent them yet :rider:

Motion Pro makes good stuff.

24 inch tire irons from Harbor Freight are probably useful for something (self defense?), but that much leverage is most suited to ruining a tire bead. If you need that much brute force to change a motorcycle tire, you're doing something wrong.

Motion Pro makes good stuff.

24 inch tire irons from Harbor Freight are probably useful for something (self defense?), but that much leverage is most suited to ruining a tire bead. If you need that much brute force to change a motorcycle tire, you're doing something wrong.

ummm hmmmm.... try putting a 190 michelin on a 17" rim by hand. it takes 4 hands with at least 4 tools.

otoh, a dunlop 190 will slip right on with 2 hands:doh:

When you compare the Kent to Motion Pro....Motion Pro is Junk.
But if you compare Motion Pro to everything else, it is very good stuff.

I have a set of 16" Kents now, I used MP for years....never again.
I know I could find a way to hang them on a KTM 525 :lol2:

I go through about 8-10 tires a year, more than than when we are talking knobbies.

They are readily available at Northern Tool too.

I have said my .02 worth :mrgreen:

OK, some of you all at the least convinced me to go have a look at Kent tools.. :-D
I've used MP tire tools for a lot of years now.. Change 60~80 tires a year (not including tire removal for flats) by hand, using a home made stand and MP tools.. Street, Track, road bikes, SuperMoto's and dirt bikes..in the garage, in the toy hauler at the track..Never an issue, never a problem. BUT if there is a better mouse trap out there.. Why not :thumb:

:clap: I have MP 24mm axle wrench/tire spoon and a pair of 8" spoons from Rocky Mountain that have a more pronounced curve on one end that seems to work better than the straighter edge most of the time. Every time the spoon seems too hard to flip, I push the opposite side down in the well a little deeper and the bead pops over. You need to be able to do it with the portable tools or someday you will be stuck.

813218421_EuAto-L.jpg

8" tusk tire spoon

while you're at it, pick up an old 30 gal steel barrel(can be used for trash later)

now take a GOOD swimming pool noodle

w/ an airliner hijacking tool, a box knife, slit the noodle from one end to the other, down one side

put your HD trash bag in the barrel & slip the slit noodle down over it, like it is holding the bag in place

YOU NOW HAVE A STAND UP TIRE CHANGING PLATFORM, THAT WONT DAMAGE YOUR SPOKES, ETC

your disc will not be resting on the cement, you wont be cramming your off side bearing spacer into the cement & your knees will THANK YOU

a real good, safe, inexpensive & plumb handy tyre slickum is WINDEX or a similar product

& when you're thru mounting the tyres, the stuff almost just rinses off your hands...

shiny side up

Back