• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bridget from the Save Me From Boredom Collection, January 2011.

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
Bridget and I went downtown yesterday to take some photos. The photo below, from Calliope's spring 2011 campaign, served as my "inspiration." Clearly, I had to change things up a bit. The end results work for me.

Masha Novoselova by Peter Gehrke

From time to time I feel like I just need to run out and purchase studio strobes, a softbox or three, and a portable power source. Then I go shoot in evening sunlight and forget about such things, at least until the sun goes down. For this, I went with my Canon 5DMKII with a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens attached. I had intended on shooting my last roll of C-41 film, and using my Pentax 67 with the 150mm f/2.8 lens attached, but the sun was falling fast and I hadn't loaded the film yet. For shame. I did take a few with my Mamiya C3 (80mm f/2.8) on Ilford HP5+, but I've not shot that full roll yet. When that is done, I will develop, scan, and post them.

And now the Bridget Scheiner by Anthony Martinez for the Save Me From Boredom Collection, January 2011.

5319405180_627aec26b8_b.jpg

5318805509_0ce16acd8f_b.jpg

5318804807_c2c80f2d2e_b.jpg

Bonus:

5319405476_7d36a6303f_b.jpg

Nice work....

For me, the first two look a little overexposed. But I FULLY recognize how difficult that shot is with full sun just on the other side of her. In natural light, without a fill flash in the front, I'm impressed. Was was your exposure compensation? I really like the pose with the sun under her chin.

The last one... wow. Those eyes. Can I say wow again? I just wish I could have seen the shot at say, f/4 or 5.6 instead of 2.8. That face is just too pretty to not have it all in focus re: dof.

I've got three rolls to pick up Thursday and am anxious to see the results. Maybe I better start thinking about that developer can/reels and jugs. lol....

Again, nice shooting.

Nice work....

For me, the first two look a little overexposed. But I FULLY recognize how difficult that shot is with full sun just on the other side of her. In natural light, without a fill flash in the front, I'm impressed. Was was your exposure compensation? I really like the pose with the sun under her chin.

The last one... wow. Those eyes. Can I say wow again? I just wish I could have seen the shot at say, f/4 or 5.6 instead of 2.8. That face is just too pretty to not have it all in focus re: dof.

I've got three rolls to pick up Thursday and am anxious to see the results. Maybe I better start thinking about that developer can/reels and jugs. lol....

Again, nice shooting.

I shot everything fully manual, but in Lightroom #1 was bumped + .16 on the exposure slider, #2 was + .04 on the exposure slider. Fill light was slid to 7 on both #1 and #2. #3 was + .54 and 3 (exp and fill). #4 was +1.31 and 13 (exp and fill). So much for digital lacking latitude!

Shooting fairly wide open, and generally close in, is part of what keeps me from doing much post aside from moving the exposure and fill sliders (90% of everything I do). Focus on the eyes, and the "softness" in the skin comes naturally (even if they have imperfect skin, as we all do) because of the shallow DOF. 2.8 is about as wide as I'll go, because it doesn't look - to me- all that soft in the other facial features. I was also trying to see what my exposure would look like if I was shooting Portra 160NC, which is why I was shooting ISO160 and 1/250s. I'd have been shooting a 150mm f/2.8 Pentax 67 so I wanted to see what I'd be working with were I shooting that camera in the same conditions. f/4 would have worked, but I'd need a tripod to handhold that beast of a camera steady (and mirror lockup too since the mirror shakes everything quite a bit).

Also, thanks. I had a lot of fun. Bridget is like my little sister, and she goes to school up north so I rarely see her. It was a good time.

Also, thanks. I had a lot of fun. Bridget is like my little sister, and she goes to school up north so I rarely see her. It was a good time.

Thanks for the details....

....and I knew that. (yeah, it's the ONLY info in the exif file ;-))

haha, yeah. When I discovered you could title/caption/tag your photos in Lightroom/Bridge/Whatever and Flickr would use that info I started just doing it there. Sometimes I forget that's all in the EXIF.

Back