• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big bend in late march

Reaction score
hello friends
looking at some of the past threads about the big bend area.
we are thinking of extending our V-max hill country rally beyond bandera area and maybe spend a couple days in the Big bend area. Would be a sunday -wednesday trip west.
we "Might" be trailering but will see.
I am mainly wanting to check out Fm 170 along the river ect.
Our v-maxes can only go about 125 miles per tank of gas. we maybe wanting to make about 200-300 mile days exploring. of course street riding, no off roads. So coming from bandera what would someone that has been out here many times recomend? Hotel? things to see? places to eat? miles between?
thanks all and stay safe
Michael

Coming out from Bandera, go south then take Hwy 90 west is the best way to go. Good Scenery all the way and no Interstate. Gas is available in Study Butte and Presidio; not in Lajitas AFAIK. It's about 70 miles along 170 so you should be fine. Plenty of hotels in Alpine. The Gage hotel in Marathon is popular just make sure you get reservations. If I was doing your ride I would stay in Alpine, ride a loop of Terlinqua, Presidio, Marfa, Davis mountains west of Ft. Davis via 166 and 118 and back to the hotel in Alpine. A nice day's ride.

When you leave Del Rio on HW 90 be aware there is limited gas supply from there to Marathon so don't pass through Comstock thinking "oh well, I'll just get gas at the next town" - cause there aren't any..

I'd stay in Alpine because from there you can go east to Marathon and then down to BB or south to Terlingua to BB or north to Ft. Davis. Be aware is is a long haul from Alpine down to BB or Terlingua - like 90 miles.

There is one gas station in the center of Big Bend and several inTerlingua (a dump) and Presidio (a dump to the west of a dump).

But with the limited range of your bikes I wouldn't pass up without filling up in the Big Bend and River Road areas. Gas is more plentiful up by Ft. Davis and Marfa.

River Road from Terlingua to Presidio is a must.
The scenic loop north and west of Ft. Davis is a must.
Both of the roads that go NW and NE out of Ft. Davis to I-10 are great rides. You can go up one way and loop over and back down on the other and have a nice ride.

Its all good riding and spectacular scenery out there - just spread out a lot.

Stop at Stormy's little cantina in Ruidosa. Sit outside and watch time pass with a cold cerveza. I was down there last week and happened up on the place after doing Pinto Canyon road. It's now on my Must Do list every time I go.

IMO, its almost like the old days when we used to cross the river at Boquillas and go up to that little cantina on the Mexican side for a beer and taquito. Can't do that any more of course.

Maybe we'll see you out there. Planning on somewhere around March 28th getting into the area.

I'll keep an eye out for you if it's close. We'll be on a black FJR and a cherry FJR.

There is gas in the Lake Amistead area , sometimes at Comstock and days at Langtry and always at Sanderson . Unless you want to take dirt road loops you will hardly ever be more than 70 miles between gas stops . The gas station at Langtry is run by a good guy so I usually stop for ice cream and gas if I need it or not when I am on the bike and It is a nice shady break spot . If you have the opportunity to ride Sonora to Comstock on 163 , 189 and 277 DO IT , its some of the best Texas has to offer . If its wet season there will be wet crossings on 163 thru the Devils river . FM 1989 and CR410 from I 10 to 189 is all paved too . SEYA

If you have the opportunity to ride Sonora to Comstock on 163 , 189 and 277 DO IT , its some of the best Texas has to offer . If its wet season there will be wet crossings on 163 thru the Devils river . FM 1989 and CR410 from I 10 to 189 is all paved too . SEYA
It runs through my family's Hudspeth River Ranch on the Devils River...It's a spectacular ride. We also had a Ranch North of Juno where it starts to flatten out.

When you leave Del Rio on HW 90 be aware there is limited gas supply from there to Marathon so don't pass through Comstock thinking "oh well, I'll just get gas at the next town" - cause there aren't any..

mapping this i see that on 90 from comstock to marathon is 145 miles. if there is not something in the middle we will not be able to make it.
our range for gas is about 125 TOPS

If its wet season there will be wet crossings on 163 thru the Devils river .

Yup!

0240006-R1-021-9_800-2.jpg

If you can make the South crossing, the rest get shallower. :rider:

Yup!

If you can make the South crossing, the rest get shallower. :rider:

You know Tom I don't worry near as much about those river crossing as I do about "MOSSY ALLIGATORS!" Yikes. :eek2:

MossyAlligator.JPG

Last edited:
hello friends
looking at some of the past threads about the big bend area.
we are thinking of extending our V-max hill country rally beyond bandera area and maybe spend a couple days in the Big bend area. Would be a sunday -wednesday trip west.
we "Might" be trailering but will see

I will be in Big Bend most of those same days with about a dozen and a half other friends for some running/jeeping/riding. If you make it into the park, come into Chisos Basin CG and look for us. Gray Wrangler and yellow DR650.

Hotel? things to see? places to eat? miles between?
thanks all and stay safe
Michael

Whenever we are in Big Bend country we always spend an afternoon hanging around the pool and and a night hanging around the bar at The Gage Hotel.

I really enjoy a visit to and dip in Balmorhea park and pool whenever I'm in BB country. They just renovated many of their cabins.

Davis Mountains State Park is one of best state parks around but the Indian Lodge will already be full. You'll need to camp or stay in town. While Hotel Limpia is the most famous option, I am kinda fond of Stone Village Tourist Camp. If you are a hiker or runner...the run up and over from the state park into the historic fort is remarkable. It's about 11-12 miles round trip.

The list of things to do goes on and on. If you could push your trip up a day then a Star Party at McDonald Observatory is a "must-do" but you'd have to be there by Saturday night.

The 118/166 loop from Fort Davis to the Observatory and around is one of the best paved roads in Texas.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread since I am hoping to get out west in March as well.

I think that since this will be our first visit we are just going to trailer out to alpine from bandera via uvalde to 90 out. we would be more apt to stop and take a few pics if in the truck than on the bikes. planning on staying in alpine sunday night . ride the south loop 118 to 170 west to presidio then north on 67 to marfa. not sure from there on if we will make the big loop around fort davis or back to alpine and do the larger fort davis loop on tuesday.
In any of these areas that we plan on riding is there a "must" see place? building? town?
again thanks for all the help.
Looked thu all the big bend pics in another thread, awesome pics but most have no locations with.
Michael Hansen

thanks for the info.
How about the route near Fort davis? take it all the way up to 10 then come back on 17 south or the smaller loop?
again thanks for the input.
Michael

I would just take the southern loop on 166 and avoid IH10. MacDonald Observatory is interesting. Of course the old Ft. Davis. If you are into old cemeteries then Shafter is a pretty cool stop north of Presidio. The pizza joint on the corner in downtown Marfa is good grub.

mapping this i see that on 90 from comstock to marathon is 145 miles. if there is not something in the middle we will not be able to make it.
our range for gas is about 125 TOPS

If this is truly a concern then how about a small container/bottle of spare gas. Just in case. I have been thinking about taking one on the longer trips, just have to figure out what would be suitable. I seem to recall several posts about folks doing this, I just need to dig around to find out what sort of bottle they were recommending.

always with the questions.
was reading about pinto canyon rd from presidio up to marfa. See that it is partially a dirt rd. but am wondering that would we have a problem going from say marfa to presidio then west to the 170 ends in my nissan titan? just for the scenery and pics type thing. Think it can be done with no problems?
maybe use a 3rd day and make this trip in the truck. if we decide to trailer all the way out to alpine.
Michael

You could drive Pinto Canyon Rd in your truck if you want to. 4wd not needed unless it rained recently. A word of advice from locals I have talked to; stay on the road if you decide to stop and take photos or something. Residents don't tolerate trespassing due to smuggling activity in the area. Just passing through, no problemo.

Actually, buying gas in Sanderson (two stations there) makes lots of sense since their prices are lower than either Marathon or the park. . .
And gas prices tend to be lower at Study Butte Store than at Big Bend Motor Inn in Study Butte.

Voni
sMiling

Back