View Full Version : HELP: My BUELL is not accepted

01-06-2011, 04:47 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I hope someone can help. I'm arriving with my family next week in Houston (12th JAN). All our goods (incl. the Bike) are still on the sea but the scheduled arriving is also next week. Find more details here: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53805.

Now the trouble starts! Today I received an email from the shipping-agency saying, that the customs broker don't accept my Buell (X1) XB12Scg build 2009 because it is made according to European standards. I think this is true but there must be a way to get this AMERICAN Motorcycle "back home" running on Texan roads??? :tears:

To ask Harley is the wrong way (I think) because they are not interested any more (Buell was closed by HD last year in OCT).

Maybe I can try to contact Erik-Buell-Racing (Eriks new company) but this can be difficult as well.

I'm appreciating any help on this issue. Thanks in advance


PS: here you can find the CoC >>click<< (http://www.w-baumann.de/temp/CoC_BUELL_XB12Scg_2009.jpg)

01-06-2011, 05:52 AM
I'd ask the customs broker where to go next. I'll bet they will know. NHTSA doesn't appear to be helpful.

3. Requirements to lawfully import motorcycles or motor-driven cycles for on-road use.

If a motorcycle or motor driven cycle is capable of a top speed above 20 miles per hour and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as having been primarily manufactured for such purposes. Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles with these capabilities and equipment cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless they were originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the original manufacturer. The label must be affixed to a permanent member of the vehicle, as close as is practicable to the intersection of the steering post and the handle bars, so that its contents can be easily read without moving any part of the vehicle except for the steering mechanism. In addition, the vehicle’s manufacturer is required to submit to NHTSA identifying information on itself and the products it manufactures to the FMVSS (as required by 49 CFR Part 566), provide NHTSA with information the agency would need to decipher the VIN the manufacturer is required (under 49 CFR Part 565) to assign to each motor vehicle manufactured for sale in the U.S., and designate a U.S. resident as its agent for service of process (as required under 49 CFR 551.45).


01-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Based on the cite Kurt posted.. it looks as though the bike will need a certificate from the manufacture stating it was "originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS "

Gray market vehicles have been brought in to the US, and "remanufactured" for many years.. But I've only seen that done on very high end motorcycles and cars..

Umm, I suppose a wrecked Buell of like model bought at auction or from an American motorcycle used parts yard, could be purchased and then your parts used to "rebuild" the wrecked Buell.. Titling that wrecked bike is a easier process then importing a grey market vehicle I'd assume.

I wish I had more assistance for you. My only experience with this type of deal was many years ago when I came home from 4 years in Germany (stationed Mainz- Gonsenheim) Both vehicles I brought back, were manufactured to both US and Euro specs.

This is a related article and web site to what your trying to do.
It’s not a perfect example, as your motorcycle may actually have been manufactured to US specs, and you just need proof.

01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the useful answers so far!
I received an email today which make it more difficult.
I think I will try to contact a company which can do the modifications that the bike meets all requirements.

01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Shipped a Vstrom from Canada to the USA as personal belongings. Had to pay a bonded importer to post a bond on the bike because bike manufacturers will not provide a letter of compliance. Costs about $300 if I remember correctly.