PDA

View Full Version : CRF 150RB or 250x

cdn_bacon
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
I need some help choosing!? I'm a street rider and been ansy to get into trail riding. I'm early 30's, 5'6, 190lbs, 28" inseam (no jokes please). First time on the dirt on 2 wheels (plenty of exp on 4 wheels).

I have several friends recommend the 150RB which fits me very nicely however I feel like I'm a giant on the bike but I'm not sure if I'm just not used to riding dirt and its a different feel or else I really am huge for it. I know its meant to be a kids MX racer however I've read on plenty of forums that guys my size are riding them for trails bikes and having a blast on them.

The other option is a CRF 250X which I've found one with a seat shaved and I can get one foot half down and the other on the peg square. It feels better (size wise) under me but friends continue to recommend the 150RB however I keep heading and reading that the 250X is a nice bike for trails (and the electric start is nice!)

Need some thoughts? 150RB with raised bars and lowered pedals? after suspension or take the 250X?

how important is it to be able to square your feet on the trail? scramble guys are telling me its not used that much other than to stop or corner but then your bikes leaned over.

Opinions?

JMZ
01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I think I would choose the 250. But thats just me. I used to ride an 1979 RM 400 when I was 14. I could only touch the ground with one foot. Although my nephew has a 150r and I am 6', 275 (cough cough ) , with a 32" inseam .When I rode the 150r and I was SHOCKED :eek2:. It seemed to ignore the fact that it had 280 lbs on it.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

WoodButcher
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, the crf 230f might be better height wise. The 250x is a fine motorcycle, but learning off road on a tall bike will be a pain. I'd plan on a smaller bike to start with knowing that when you get comfortable you will go with one with better suspension and more grunt in the motor.

Marc B
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
+1 CRF230=Fun.

thumper_tx
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Well, the crf 230f might be better height wise. The 250x is a fine motorcycle, but learning off road on a tall bike will be a pain. I'd plan on a smaller bike to start with knowing that when you get comfortable you will go with one with better suspension and more grunt in the motor.

+1

cdn_bacon
01-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I considered the 230f, sat on one, fit very good in fact but after much research and consideration I decided against. So... back to the 250x or 150rb.

What is considered a good posture or fit when sitting on a bike? I'm used to street bikes and this is completely different.

Trail riding... how much will your feet actually make contact with the ground other than start/stopping? Some friends say the 150rb would be good b/c I can touch with both feet and would be good to plant feet on tight turns and with the light bike weight it would be good to learn on. Others, who I know who ride predominantly scrambles say it wont' be a problem on the 250x with only one foot that can touch b/c I'll never need both feet down.

poser
01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
if you're just learning and have ruled out the 230 something you can put out both outriggers would be good. Yeah experienced guys never sit or take their feet off the pegs, but when you're learning and slow trail riding a foot down may keep you up. Is it "propper technique"? probably not, but we all do it :lol2:

Keep in mind both of those bikes are going to be more maintenance than the 230, with the 150 requiring the most as its a full on race bike IIRC. Nothing crazy, but things like more frequent oil changes, valve adjustments etc...
I know you said you rulled it out but the 230 would be good. Air cooled, stone reliable. You won't be able to break it. I was where you are a few years ago looking for my first bike, and wanted something with great suspension. Looking back I'm glad I ended up with the xr400.
The suspension on the 230 with be WAY more forgiving and won't wear you out like the other two when you're learning, and unless you totally thrash it, you should be able to get most if not all of your money back out of a used one. Buy one used, ride it fro a year and then upgrade :thumb:

On a side note, get yourself a good pair of offraod/mx style boots. Mine have saved me from having a broken ankle/leg more times than I can remember

DFW_Warrior
01-12-2011, 06:48 AM
I vote 230 as well. Or.... if you don't mind being down just a little bit on power an XR200 is a fantastic starter bike, and you can find them for dirt cheap. Ride it for a year, sell it for what you paid for it, and move up.

Tekisasu DR
01-12-2011, 07:43 AM
+1 to 230F or even 150F. I would buy used one, learn how to ride trail, then step up to 250X.
150R is made for motocross and has skinny low end, so not easy to handle in trail unless otherwise you have good experience.

TWTourist
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I'll put another vote in for the CRF230F. I'm also trying to get better at off roading so I bought a CRF230F to practice on. Now I have no intention or dreams of MXing, just want to get better at off roading with my DS

claymore
01-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Coming from a MX only background, I can give you some insight on the 250F. The 250F is a MX race bike, but the X gives it softer suspension and some goodies for trail riding. Depending on how hard you ride it and how much will directly effect the maintenance (valve adjustments, chain, sprockets, clutches........) The 150 is a MXrace bike made to take the place of the 80cc 2 stroke. I would say you will get tired of the size later. Learn on a big bike and then you will not need to move up. My first dirt bike was a 97 KX125 and I just came off of a 2005 KX125. I am 5'4" witha 27" inseam. I feel your pain on the seat hieght! I always shaved my seats and then had a custom one made by SDG for my 2005. I would go with the 250X. Honda had a ton of issues with the 2009 MX model year, so look into that year. The 2009 CRF450 was a hunk of junk! If you do not have to ride red maybe check out the KLX line up from Kawi. My 2005 KX125 never gave me an issue! Hope that helps some.