• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Importation to the states?

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Brown
I am in Israel working for the U S government. A friend is looking at buying either a used KLE 500 or a used Trans Alp. Are there any restrictions that you know of to prevent importing these bikes stateside when his tour of duty is finished here?

The prices here are crazy and this will be his first bike.just trying to save hi a bit of trouble down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Hope to meet some of you in December when I return stateside for a break.

Kenneth

Having spent seven out of the last ten years overseas (I'm with the USAF), I saw some sweet bikes I would have liked to have brought home; but I understand it is pretty tough, almost not worth the money unless you have a pretty exclusive machine. I think you have to replace the headlight assembly, tail lights, etc. The NHTSA has a web site on importing vehicles, it is where I would start looking for info.

Be sure your bud is in full compliance with the regulations for importing a bike to the States, as it will cost him to dispose of it if it isn't!

Cheers! M2

Contact the Country head office of the manufacturer. They will (should) be able provide you with a certificate of compliance (or non compliance) to the DOT regulations. As long as it isn't a safety issue it isn't a problem (different brakes). When I came here I brought my 2 bikes (Canadian models), 1 was non EPA, and both have metric instruments (no mph KMH only). No changes required.

It must be personal property, I think 6 months ownership. The shipper must have a copy of the compliance during transport and I do believe the basic importation document. You will have to pay duty on a permanent importation, typically 2.5%. Depending on the border guy he may waive the duty as it is a personal (use) property item. The long list of inspections is a pain; typically at the border at the time of importation, the nearest customs office to the point of registration, the local police (auto theft group usually), then the state safety group. Oohh don't forget the state taxes as it is new to the state....... :mad:

I don't know if I would do it again it was a pain in the a..!

That said, I have heard the military types have a little more grief although I never could figure out why.

Back