• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Difficulty Comparison

Reaction score
Several of us recently returned from running the K Trail in Oklahoma. We were on 250's --- Started on the Clayton Trail and joined up with the K Trail.

Would like someone who has ridden the K Trail and has also ridden the River Road in Big Bend to give me a comparison of the difficulty of those two routes.

By the way I tried to get on the K Trail off of 271 in two places and both were locked and gated by some hunting club. Did I miss something ??

I can answer the first question. Nothing on the River Road is as challenging as some of the hills on the K-Trail. Old Ore Road is more difficult than River Road, but is still easier than K.

Can't help with the gates question, no first hand knowledge of that here.

I have heard that the k at clayton is closed off but at some point west you can get on. I rode the k at talahina off 271 there is a rode called honobia rd. It crosses over the ridge. Head west and it should be open to the next highway at least.

Yes, you can get on kTrail off Indian Hiway. Go west toward Clayton or go east toward Mena.

But there is supposed to be a way to get on KTrail at Clayton. I have not done it so can't help. It is a little confused, but can be done.

Thanks for the comparison. I rode the kTrail from Indian Hiway toward Mena on my KLR. So I guess the KLR will be fine in Big Bend.

I have now studied map source and know that what we did was get on Clayton Trail(which runs into the K Trail in abiut 5 miles) off on Nine Pines Road.

LOL, I've done River Road on a VStrom, I would NEVER, EVER try K trail on it :lol2:

Most of the long rocky stuff that ED29 mentioned is on the Clayton Trail that is used to access the K-Trail.

Hood ornament,
My friend James decided to do the K on a Strom. The big one. The 1000. We went up Little Mountain rd behind Muse. I don't know how he kept from holing a case. Rode K 20 miles west on the K. He never bobbled.

Hood ornament,
My friend James decided to do the K on a Strom. The big one. The 1000. We went up Little Mountain rd behind Muse. I don't know how he kept from holing a case. Rode K 20 miles west on the K. He never bobbled.

I'm not worthy!!! :hail::hail::hail: :lol2:

We are hoping to make a trip up to ride K-Trail (and Clayton) area sometime in April.
Can any of you share some good gps tracks/routes for it?

Thanks in advance.

Or email them to me if you dont want to post here. Email

We will be on a couple xr400's, a dr250, and a KLR650 (all plated) so any and all tracks including trail or roads welcome.

I rode River Road West on my KLR three weeks ago, and while there were challenges, it was very doable. There were six of us, five on heavy dualsports (650s and 800s) and one on a KLX250. The ride leader elected to take Black Gap as a shortcut, and it took the six of us over 3 hours to wrestle those bikes thru 8.6 miles of ****! But yeah, you should be great on River Road.

I rode River Road West on my KLR three weeks ago, and while there were challenges, it was very doable. There were six of us, five on heavy dualsports (650s and 800s) and one on a KLX250. The ride leader elected to take Black Gap as a shortcut, and it took the six of us over 3 hours to wrestle those bikes thru 8.6 miles of ****! But yeah, you should be great on River Road.

Wow, you must of really had some beginner riders. It's a semi-rough four wheel drive road, but really pretty moderate in the overall picture. Riding it from the South is the easier way too. Black Gap on my 950 is 30 minutes tops, if I am riding without stopping and exploring.

River Road, except for the sandy sections, you could ride a street bike on, which has been done plenty of times.

I've ridden both, the K-Trail is much more fun :-P

885727608_2YdBE-L.jpg

You'd have a good time on Old Ore or Black Gap on 250s but you'd have even more fun in Big Bend Ranch State Park.

1081918858_ZFmWC-L.jpg

Wow, you must of really had some beginner riders.

Not beginner necessarily, but new to off-road - it was my first serious trail, the guy on the other KLR had 2800 miles on his first bike, and one of the F800GS guys was on his first "dualsport", usually preferring a Hayabusa. So yeah, skill (or lack thereof) was a major factor. All I'm saying is it's a big bite for a first-timer - doable, but you'll remember it!

Not beginner necessarily, but new to off-road - it was my first serious trail, the guy on the other KLR had 2800 miles on his first bike, and one of the F800GS guys was on his first "dualsport", usually preferring a Hayabusa. So yeah, skill (or lack thereof) was a major factor. All I'm saying is it's a big bite for a first-timer - doable, but you'll remember it!

Ouch... first off road and everybody is on 400 - 500 lb bikes! :giveup:

Sounds like a lot of Adventure--a big group number on big bikes with little off road experience = :eek2:

The more time passes, the more fun you'll remember it being!

Back