• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bamboo Fun

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
Ok so I finally got my Christmas present over the weekend. Yes we are a bit late on stuff at our house this year.

So I hook this monster up to the iMac and get it installed. It looks really cool sitting on the desk and all.

JDawg walked into the office yesterday and asked to if I had figured it out yet. I shook my head and said I think I may be in over my head. He smiled and asked me if I wanted to take it back.

I am torn.......do I struggle to learn this thing or do I give up.

HELP :eek2:

Let's start with the basics.... What's a Bamboo?

......which means I don't have a clue how to help you.

That is the exact same thing Rachel is struggling with. She got it, thought it would be cake to use, and then figured out there is a pretty good learning curve with it. I've heard that they are pretty powerful tools once you get the hang of them.

And for those that don't know....
http://www.wacom.com/index2.php

are there online tutorials or a book for it? i have never had a bamboo but when i was doing other computer related learning i used a bunch of online tutorials

It's a tablet used as an interface for your computer in place of a mouse. Some tablets come with mice that can be used with tablets, but for the most part it's a pressure sensitive stylus on the tablet that controls everything. For CAD, Graphic Design, Photoshop and other creative, non-keyboard tasks they are amazing. The problem is they are completely counter-intuitive during learning curve nothing like the years of mouse interface most people are used to.

Sounds like you need to return the Bamboo for a magic trackpad.

Noah

Which one did you get? I've read about them, don't have one and never used one so I can't help you with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got an Intuos4 Medium for Christmas, I have played with it a little bit but really haven't any hardcore rendering/compositing to do (yet) so I haven't played with it much.

ah, waned one (wacom tablet) but the $ for a decent sized one was always cost prohibitive.

Only thing I can say is they usually have two modes. There's a mode that acts like a mouse in that you can move the stylis over then lift it and keep moving. I hate that mode. There's a mode that allows the points on the pad to be equivalent to the points on your screen. I like that one.

Also, practice moving the stylus around with your finger holding it just skimming the surface. It should show the pointer moving around without doing anything because it isn't contacting it. This took me the longest to figure out and get the technique down. The other hard thing was for me to remember that the other side of the stylus is by default the eraser in photoshop. I kept reverting to thinking of it as a mouse and clicking on the eraser tool instead of just flipping it like a pencil.

Otherwise, it'll be pretty intuitive once you get used to it. I'd keep it if I were you. I hardly ever use mine anymore but when I get the opportunity I sure am glad I have it.

Attachments

• bamboo.jpg
    bamboo.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 151
Back