• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #49: RAILROADS

Bob Dahringer

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
OK gang, assignment #49 RAILROADS, allows a lot of lee-way for pic subjects; trains, stations, tracks, memorabilia, even train models are all OK, anything that says RAILROADS.

Open for submission until midnight Monday 14 Feb.

Have fun with this, camera phones, p&s or dslr's, or even film.... all shooters are welcome.

Use this thread to post examples and to have discussions. Please experiment as time permits so we can have plenty of photographs to think about. A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

All shots submitted in the ENTRY thread must be taken between now and midnight February 14th.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic! Are these on the right track? :rofl:

1044064699_SfSvC-XL-1.jpg

1044063997_xRqKJ-XL-1.jpg

1044058489_hecLv-L-1.jpg

1052506536_5hVeM-L.jpg

1052506793_TrfBk-L.jpg

A little B&W Film goodness:
1149166680_zXUk2-L.jpg

524450718_rBFVj-L.jpg

1026705210_ooEqk-L.jpg

Found another one I'm fond of....
596030580_xLpAx-L.jpg

I know I've got more in various folders that haven't been migrated to Smugmug yet. Maybe this will be the motivation to get them there.

Not my picture but in my 'homeland'. Close to my mother's family coffe plantation where we spent many days; crossing this was . . .:eek2:
A couple of years ago I saw the picture in the local newspaper and I contacted them for a copy of the file.

bsuro12-ELC08253-p.jpg

Ah.... the Durango-Silverton railroad. Shot this one a Winter many years ago:

1177275872_QRZgD-L.jpg

Durango and Silverton[CO]. Parents took my bro & I one summer vacation from Alb. Loved it. Would like to ride it again.

Is this a workable concept? The only reason I'm asking is, I don't know if 1) the concept (wide-angle, tight, in-your-face, vibrant) is that great, or 2) the fact that it was my Dad's train set when he was a child is what's drawing me in.

Thoughts? (and yes, this is a rough shot, ie: composition, background, lighting, post etc.)

1182767700_gijoC-L.jpg

1182767757_pXDUr-L.jpg

Last edited:
the fact that it was my Dad's train set when he was a child is what's drawing me in.

My first thought was that it was a Thomas the Tank Engine but changed when you said "dad". The 3-rail is clear now - I really like that lens you are using!

That's the Sigma 10-20mm f/4 on the nose of the D90. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I pretty much always smile with the results.

In the last photo, you can make out the plum of smoke from one of the trains on the cog railway working it's way up to the summit.

041-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

009-1-1.jpg

Back