• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Testing of the GoPro camera with Hico pie run

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
menbusahicopie.jpg

Me just getting back into riding after snapping my right fibula off (double fracture) at work last Feb...
Pulling the Turbusa out of mothballs for the past 2 years..

Here's a test of the GoPRo Wide angle camera that was giving me issues 2 yrs ago, I bought it in 2008 never got a chance to use it more then a few times it was always malfunctioning.
I think I finally got an understanding of it ( and me the source of the malfunction) and what it likes as batteries (Lith) etc..
I also found I had to put it on LO for the volume too much vibes, thinking I have an idea like some electrical tape inside the housing on the bottom and top, don't know for sure.
If anyone has one of these units and has a solution please share it.

So anyway feedback appreciated as always, will be using it this year to document some of my favorite roads and of course the pie runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2WO2XIowEA

Cool POV video. What is the little cylinder above the dash right in the middle?

Oh...ma...gosh! Those doo dads in that first video....holy smoke! I bet that thing is a handful. You never stop grinning do you?

Yea, that's one of those things where you really want to give one a go, but you know you can't handle it. Plus, you don't want to spend the rest of your life hating every weak bike you throw a leg over. It'll never be the same again.

Ya each person is different, knowing ones limits speaks volumes.
I have several bikes all for a purpose, each it's own.
That bike was purchased in 01 its a 2000 model, I built the turbo system initially in 2005 because I was told I could not do it..
then upgraded it in 07.
At any rate the bike had purpose to be ridden at the Tx Mile, I have yet to make one.
I have ridden for 30+ yrs and had over 40 bikes.
No matter what bike you're on, knowing that your right hand can be your best friend of worst enemy is a must.

Ron

Ya each person is different, knowing ones limits speaks volumes

There are limits? You sure? Perhaps that’s been my problem.

BTW: I like the mounting of your camera. Mounted on the bike instead of your helmet gives the viewer more of the riders POV and seeing the tach and speedo makes it more realistic. I would like to see you do some twisties. I think your camera mount would look good because one could sense the leaning of the bike. I have tried mounting a camera to my helmet and it lost a lot of the experience of the leans because one tends (as is proper) to keep their head in alignment with the road and the viewer misses the thrill of the lean.

Do some twisties (safely) and repost.

Hey ya wana race? See, I don’t know my limits. Hey now that you have moved to Italy, you ain’t that far. Let’s got riding! Give me a ping. Just tell me where we are going so that I can meet you there about an hour or so after you arrive. I’m not about to keep up with that rocket.

Also, placing on the helmet puts the camera higher up. The higher the camera the less of a feel you have for the speed. If you can get the camera low to the ground then the speed feeling is huge. My camera system I've mounted all over the bike and rider and getting it low on the side where you can see the suspension is one of my favorite places to mount it.

A couple of my old videos....

Nelson Ledges, horrible track surface, lots of suspension movement, even on a rider who is dead slow out there. One mounting location in this video.
http://www.leanangle.com/vids/NLOneLap.wmv

Here's one where I moved the mount around between sessions and edited it together. One of my favorite videos I've done so far. I really ended up liking the view pointing back at me from under the screen. Really gives a view of leanangle and rider movement and my position, good or bad, plus you can see forward in the reflection of my visor.
http://www.leanangle.com/vids/msr081806.wmv

Anyway, just some food for thought as you play with your new toy.

I've looked at stock busa's in the shops and that's just a whole lot of trouble in a small package. No way I need to run a turbo one. I'd like to give one a whirl at Texas Mile though. That'd certainly be fun.

Ideally I was going to run 2-3 of them at one time but that's a pain in the wazooo..

I have played with several cameras from Sony Hi8 to Sony dig cams, to bullets cams, now the GoPro Wide angle I bought in 2008? maybe longer and basically forgot about it cause of the issues I had run into with it.

I bought the thing when they sold it as an Offroad pkg, it has the large suction mount 9thing will NOT budge) tried it at 200+ and offroad in the jeep, never budged.
It came with several sticky mounts 2 flat, and 2 curved for helmets, plus diff inserts to run it on the mounts in side or forward/rearward directions, very versatile.

I have a fixed Sony cam I Broke at deals gap mounted whilst I chased Bobby on his turbo charged busa through deals gap, he was stretched to 68" but smoked me through the curves.

here's the vid:

http://www.busafied.com/videos.html

Click on the left side of the Monitor when it comes up &
select PAGE 1, then to the right it says Deals gap videos, select the one that says "ME CHASING BOBBY"

I need to mount the different sticky mount one down low on the ride side fairing so you can see past the air filter and one on tail to get rearward shot, maybe on the SWINGARM?

Thoughts?

Oh and Bob once the weather straightens out I am game.
My ankle was killing me for 2 days after the Hico run and for me that ride was only 1.5 hrs one way, so I have to keep it in short burts.
Dr. said NOT to overdo it when I feel the pain that is too much...
So I need to take more frequent breaks he suggests.

Going to go watch some of Jasen's videos now brb//

Jasen something I found out in 2001, when you realize you are hot coming into a corner on the busa it's too late, you are BEYOND hot, the busa feels like a Cadillac at any speed, fals sense of being slow when your actually moving sublight...

I was out on a ride with a group I used to ride with and was actually gettgin caught up in their pace instead of mine as I have learned over the yrs to avoid like the plague..
I came in super hot and had to STAND on the inside peg, barely made the corner, could NOT scrub enough speed to keep my apex, but pulled it out by standing on the inside peg and practically laying off the bike to the inside of the corner with all my weight on that peg.
I could NOT believe I did not lowside or worse..
I realized at that moment the Hayabusa is probably the most dangerous bike in the world, because of the false sense of security you get with her, she is a PIG beyond words, but can with excessive amounts of money be made to contender on the curves..
My 99 gixxer 750 was probably the best bike I have ever owned, still kicking myself for letting it go.

Ron

Last edited:
Great Vids!!!

I felt like I was there!

But I still have you beat! I took out a gas pump at Deals Gap! Long story.... But if you ever return, don’t tell them you know me. They may still be looking for me for the repair cost.

I understand about the short burst. I too am having the same problems, but my injury was much less severe than yours. Thank goodness it was my right ankle that isn't used that much, but still it is a stain and at the end of the day I am hurting. **** ankles!

Great Vids!!!

I felt like I was there!

But I still have you beat! I took out a gas pump at Deals Gap! Long story.... But if you ever return, don’t tell them you know me. They may still be looking for me for the repair cost.

I understand about the short burst. I too am having the same problems, but my injury was much less severe than yours. Thank goodness it was my right ankle that isn't used that much, but still it is a stain and at the end of the day I am hurting. **** ankles!

I am truly glad it is my right ankle as well, left I would be turning the jeep into an auto and would be installing electric over air shifters on all my bikes ($$$$$$).

LOL gas pump, weirdest thing seen and have pics somewhere was dude rode up in underwear on his bike think it was a bandit.
2nd coolest was Yellow gold wing dude who does videos while you ride do a wheelie up deals gap from the store on his new wing with dealers tasgs...

I made that video in 2003, broke my 2nd Sony Digi cam, quit buying them after that one..
My Last visit there was 2005, need to make a return trip.. used to go every September.

Once I found out about the 3's in 2005 I quit doing Deals Gap, much closer and more fun for me.
Started going the hill country twice a yr till my wife passed in 2008, had just started building her the 7/11 (Frankenbike) shortly before she passed, then I pretty much quit riding.
Started riding again in 2009 but work had me super busy, so I started working the 7/11 project I started for my late wife.
Broke my ankle Feb 2010, so that stopped everything...
Finished 7/11 one pc at a time late last yr.
De-mothballed the Busa few months ago, fixed katana too.
So i got 3 rides for the pie runs, pending my ankle and Dr's to allow me to..

man I am rambling.. :lol2:

BTW: That is a true story, I realy did take out the pump at deals gap plus I made a contribution to the "Tree of Shame" of a brand new windshiled. I am currently on windshiild #3, hence the name "scarface". I got tired of buying new windshields.

1158407594_Phwdi-M.jpg

1158411437_WHpwG-M.jpg

I think we need a full compilation of BeemerBob's antics.

I don't know that that is possible. It was not until I had a mid-life crises at age 60 that I discovered that my adventures were out of the ordinary. I did not begin recording my misadventures until I completed Route 66 last year. You may my view my (mis)adventures at www.BeemerBob.com .

At age 60, I came to realize that my life was boring and I began a quest to correct that and went and bought a motorcycle. At age 62 I found that I could start drawing social security (I wish to take this moment to thank all of you that are still paying into social security for my benefit).

Now at age 63, I’m having a frigging ball!

Well, I can count at least three interesting non-boring antics I've seen on here now. :mrgreen:

Back