• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electrical Glitch

Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Floyd
I hope someone has some info on a problem I've been having, and maybe a lead as to some electrical grounds.
I have an erratic neutral light. When I go into neutral, I have no neutral light. I've checkec connections behind cover, and have a good switch.
The kicker is that when I go into neutral I don't have the light until I start to put the kickstand down. All I have to do is partially lower it and the lamp comes on. Since they both tie into starter circuit (in gear, no start unless kickstand is up) I'm wondering if they share a common ground or connection.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.. :giveup:

Check your switch plug for signs of corrosion.
Check your ground connections and make sure they are good including the chassis ground.

99.9% it will be the switch it did it on a friends swaped out switch and cured it.

thanks, love info like this. This is what makes this forum so great.

There's just no way that we have enough information to make an intelligent suggestion for the repair of your problem. We don't even know what kind of bike this is and there are more ways to wire a circuit like this than I care to think about.

You need a wiring diagram or service manual for your bike. The clue is the kickstand. My guess is that with that piece of information and a wiring diagram the solution would be know within 5 minutes or so.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring.

Because I know NOTHING 'bout electrical, and it's gonna be expensive to bring it into a shop.....

I would first try this:
Spray the HAIL out of everything around that kickstand switch/connection with WD-40, work the stand up & down, degrease it with S100 and water, and then spray the heck out of it with WD-40 again. At least it'll be cleaner to look at & study when somebody wants to get up close & personal to inspect it or tug at the connectors.

Be sure and remove all traces of WD-40. Go to a good electronics store and get some DeoxIt D5[no, i don't have stock in the company] and follow directions on can. Use eye protection and do in open air. As has already been said, make sure the connections[slip-on/slide-on] are CLEAN AND FREE OF CORROSION. Good luck, keep us informed. I would also suggest covering painted surfaces and all else you don't want to get marred while using cleaning agents.

Last edited:
Thanks all, looks like I'll tear into it. Probable switch..just odd that it's in neutral and all I do is just move the kickstand. Then it shows neutral...It's a Bandit 1250 so I didn't think to give more info on the bike :sun:

I had the exact same issue with an erratic neutral light on my GSF1250 that would frequently only come on when I lowered the side stand. I have a GiPro ATRE which stopped showing 5th and 6th gear (showing "0"), and I was confident it was the gear selector switch.

I ordered part number 37730-18H01 and the O-Ring 09280-26007, which fixed the issue. The switches haven't a tight seal and get crap in them. You may be able to clean it with WD40 or contact cleaner, but they aren't terribly expensive.

I Googled the part number and looked for the best deal to get one to NZ.

I have a brief discussion and parts diagram on my blog: http://kewwibike.blogspot.com/2010/12/gear-position-indicator.html

It's very easy to replace.

I had the exact same issue with an erratic neutral light on my GSF1250 that would frequently only come on when I lowered the side stand. I have a GiPro ATRE which stopped showing 5th and 6th gear (showing "0"), and I was confident it was the gear selector switch.

I ordered part number 37730-18H01 and the O-Ring 09280-26007, which fixed the issue. The switches haven't a tight seal and get crap in them. You may be able to clean it with WD40 or contact cleaner, but they aren't terribly expensive.

I Googled the part number and looked for the best deal to get one to NZ.

I have a brief discussion and parts diagram on my blog: http://kewwibike.blogspot.com/2010/12/gear-position-indicator.html

It's very easy to replace.

I appreciate the info.. guess I'll go to my local dealer and get one. I was messing with it yesterday, and could make it flicker while moving the gearshift, so it leads me to believe you've nailed it. Thanks to all !!

My apologies for not being attentive. I'm viewing the forum in a different manner than I used to and I now seen the new posts regardless of where the originate from. I forget that we have a dedicated Bandit forum.

Having a service manual and wiring diagram is still a good idea though. A lot of problems can be identified by just looking at the diagram and not even touching the bike.
Good Luck,
Mike

My apologies for not being attentive. I'm viewing the forum in a different manner than I used to and I now seen the new posts regardless of where the originate from. I forget that we have a dedicated Bandit forum.

Having a service manual and wiring diagram is still a good idea though. A lot of problems can be identified by just looking at the diagram and not even touching the bike.
Good Luck,
Mike

Thanks Mike..
I agree that I should have a wiring diagram..someday :eek2: I'll spring for one :trust:
Yesterday I took the neutral switch out and sprayed cleaner in it, let it sit, blew it out and redid it again. It now works about 80% of the time, so all of you that told me "it's the switch" well, you were right :giveup:
I checked at BikeBandit and one is $77 so I'll also check at my dealer and go wherever is cheaper.
Taking a ride tomorrow up along the west coast (Fla.) It'll be in high 70's and low 80's with no rain forcast...I love Florida winters..now if I can only make some hills...
Thanks to all

Try using Dielectric Grease on all of the switch contact points before buying a replacement. It just might do the trick.

Thanks Mike..
I agree that I should have a wiring diagram..someday :eek2: I'll spring for one :trust:
Yesterday I took the neutral switch out and sprayed cleaner in it, let it sit, blew it out and redid it again. It now works about 80% of the time, so all of you that told me "it's the switch" well, you were right :giveup:
I checked at BikeBandit and one is $77 so I'll also check at my dealer and go wherever is cheaper.
Taking a ride tomorrow up along the west coast (Fla.) It'll be in high 70's and low 80's with no rain forcast...I love Florida winters..now if I can only make some hills...
Thanks to all

You just HAD to put that little quip in about WARM WEATHER RIDING, didn't you?:giveup:

Thanks Mike..
I agree that I should have a wiring diagram..someday :eek2: I'll spring for one

check you email.

I've been having to bend the tab on my sidestand in or order for it to trigger the safety switch. Well, really, I'm just putting it back in the original position. I guess riding in the mountains is starting to get the best of it.:rider:

Try using Dielectric Grease on all of the switch contact points before buying a replacement. It just might do the trick.

+1

Two items every person who works on bikes should have, but most don't is a tube of dielectric and a can of silicone spray. I always smear a light film of dielectric grease on any electrical connector or contacts when possible, and I always spray rubber parts like hose connections, and rubber grommets with silicone spray before taking them apart or putting them back on.

My turn signal switch was always hard to operate from new, and finally it quit working altogether, so I took the switch housing off, and carefully popped open the turn signal switch and sprayed it with contact cleaner, then applied a thin coating of dielectric grease to all the moving parts and the contacts and put it back together, and it worked again, and is buttery smooth now. :rider:

On the dielectric grease issue, this particular switch does not appear to be the kind you can take apart and grease. The photos from the other forum show it broken apart just to see the ugly inside.

Any suggestions on using this grease on this switch?

BTW - I just talked to Suzuki on this - as in the factory support guys.

There is no documented issue with this switch, but the evidence that this switch itself gets dirty and false triggers is out there.

Brian at Suzuki Tech Support (714-572-1490) suggested that I contact the forums and ask people to call in and register this issue as it may end up generating a recall or replacement. So, if you feel inclined, please do so.

Phil

Back