• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #50: SMELL

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
:clap: Assignment #50! :clap:

Hard to believe we have been playing for this long. I am happy that I am seeing a noticeable difference in the quality of my photos, and these assignment exercises is a part of that. Which is after all the point of this right M38A1?

I so badly want to do another numerical themed assignment, like #45, but I will not. So for this one, why don't we all get out and compose an image that captures a smell. What ?!@#$, did he say SMELL?

Yep! SMELL. You know how certain songs when you hear them on the radio today, will take you back in time to when you heard it when doing something fun from way back when? Think about it, what pops in your head when you hear Stairway to Heaven or Magic Carpet Ride? To this day when I hear Aerosmiths Sweet Emotion.... well.... thats better left unsaid in public...;-)

So anyway, have you ever looked a photo and smelled it? Maybe it is a photo of bread coming out of the oven, can you smell it? What if it is a photo of fresh cut grass, can you smell it? What about a kid on a two stroke dirt bike with smoke puffing out the exhaust, can you smell it? Got the idea?

Get creative everyone, and most importantly, have fun with this, camera phones, p&s or dslr's, or even film.... all shooters are welcome.

Use this thread to post examples and to have discussions. Please experiment as time permits so we can have plenty of photographs to think about. A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

All shots submitted in the ENTRY thread must be taken between now and midnight February 28th.

All forum posting rules apply.

Here are some examples that I have in my archives that I think meet the SMELL it requirement.

496864592_QtAoH-L.png

718454380_wmP5D-L.jpg

718311899_APzGi-L.jpg

:rofl:
827752148_BUMnP-L.jpg

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL The picture of the cows brings back memories of the vivid smells of the stock yards coming into Abilene or Liberal in the Summer. Was thinking of the only lingering smell bringing a smile to my face on my 150 mile ride yesterday was the rice mill and the smells of freshly milled rice in the air . ;-)

Is it me or does the moon shot look oblong?

Continuing with the food theme, I'm thinking anything with 'movement' would add to the smell-i-ness factor. :rofl:

558735609_JQc4Y-L.jpg

931213240_UaUNS-L.jpg

Is it me or does the moon shot look oblong?

C

I think it not being quite in the full moon phase did that. Was sitting in my chair sipping coffee and watching it at 4AM today. Very bright.

i don't have one, but a nice shot of a 2-stroke smokin' up the hill would make a nice "smell" shot. :)

Thanks Duke for the coffee shot..... You just blew one of my concepts. :giveup: :rofl:

Back to the drawing board on this one.

558754109_jkfJi-L.jpg

Thanks Duke for the coffee shot..... You just blew one of my concepts. :giveup: :rofl:

:rider:

Don't take my coffee shot seriously. You can still execute your concept, as my shot would be disqualified anyway. I can't believe that no one has called out my fake steam coming off the cup that I added in PS?

For the life of me I just couldn't capture the steam that WAS there with my limited ability. I changed it to a black background and got closer, but was never successful.

I used hot lights small f/stop long exposure and I used stroblights big f/stop and short exposure, and every combination you could thing of. I even put the cup in the microwave until it was boiling, still no joy!

I rode all over the place and just could not find a place or thing that tickled my fancy as a good story to SMELL. Especially after seeing Voni's picture. That brought back so many memories of nights at the campfires at Rallies across the country.

Yeah, me too.... This one just got away from me.

I had wanted to do the coffee shot, but the well had been emptied on that one. Then I thought of looking for a nose and do a close-up of it but just couldn't find the right one with enough character. So I figured I'd shoot some garlic all nice and pretty. Big mistake was I put my head on the pillow and that was all she wrote.

Back