• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1985 Yamaha XJ 550 to a chopper/bobber

Reaction score
I normally don't show bike projects but this one has come quite a long way. About 2 years ago I bought a XJ550 with intention of chopping it and testing my fab skills..

Well life stalled the build for quite a while ( new son was born, and other "life" events always got in the way ) Well today I got back on the project and thought I would share what I have done. I have quite a few pics, but these are just a very small few to show what was done.

To start, the frame was chopped off right behind the engine and a new one built using DOM tubing, slugs at the frame joints ( old to new frame ) and gussets all around.

anyway....

Start of day 1: bike all together.

Before1.png

End of day 2. Rear swing arm supported and cut getting ready for the stretch. most parts removed:

0622091657a.png

End of day 6. Yup LOTS of work over the 4 days:

IM000012.png

quick shot of the pipe joining and gussets on day 6:

0705091257.png

Around day 10: lots cleaned up, primer on to keep rust at bay.

01.png

Then it sat for quite a bit ( this is when life hit, funny how this happens ) I was finally able to get back in the garage and start putting a few things back on, Testing fitments, figuring out how the wiring will run. LOL carbs needs a SERIOUS rebuild. etc. etc. I have to build the exhaust and a whole slew of other small things. I am fixing what needs to be fixed. But the end goal is more of a rat rod chopper..

IMG_20110219_161011.png

And for good measure, the Kat and the yami side by side:

IMG_20110219_161128.png

anyway just thought I would share. :rider:

Where or what type of back fender is that?

I have a Honda 450 CL Project in mind for a similar treatment.

Sweet start to your build.

Hopefully the thread serves as more of a motivator now that you've let the cat out of the bag. We expect progress...

Thanks all
Ya been real busy getting the bandit 1200 engine into the Katana. And I still need to mod the swingarm on that to fit the wider tire... but I did get a seat designed for the chopper. But need to be redone to flow with the bike.

The rear fender is from a first Gen goldwing. Lol got it free :)

Back