• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Project Bike Advice

Reaction score
Right now I do not have all the details. Here is what I do know.

1) '78 or '79 KZ900? I checked and the 900 was last made in '77. If by chance it is an orginal Z1, I will buy it in any condition.
2) No idea when it last ran
3) Tank and body work repainted
4) No idea if the eng is locked up or not
5) Been out side, but under a tarp
6) Guy was asking $400, but I said that was way to much. I'm thinking $200 tops if the engine is free.
7) I have not seen it for myself yet, but plan on going to look at it this weekend.
8) If I decide to take on this project, I plan to make it as original as possible.
9) I have the slills, tools and experience to do anything on this project.

Any thoughts?

I would make a exception to the original as possible and go with a electronic ignition. and as Russ said, take lots of pics!

Right now I do not have all the details. Here is what I do know.

1) '78 or '79 KZ900? I checked and the 900 was last made in '77. If by chance it is an orginal Z1, I will buy it in any condition.
2) No idea when it last ran
3) Tank and body work repainted
4) No idea if the eng is locked up or not
5) Been out side, but under a tarp
6) Guy was asking $400, but I said that was way to much. I'm thinking $200 tops if the engine is free.
7) I have not seen it for myself yet, but plan on going to look at it this weekend.
8) If I decide to take on this project, I plan to make it as original as possible.
9) I have the slills, tools and experience to do anything on this project.

Any thoughts?

This is a lot about what you want and want to do, but I think the design change Kawasaki made from 77 to 78 was the worst they made in the entire range of the Z1/KZ bikes. They went from what I believe was a very sleek, tear drop tank to some box like thing that had no appeal (to me) at all. If you have your heart set on the bike go for it. If not, you may want to hold out for a Z1. I had two '76's, wish I still had them today.

Well, no need for pics...

......turned out to be a total bust, '84 KZ550 shaft drive.

When I told the dude what it was he was like, "Oh no, its an 1100!". I told him he was dead wrong and to look at the casting on the block, 0.553L. He was still in disbelief and said to check the manufacture tag, KZ550 EF. He wanted $500 for it but quickly dropped to $200.

Turns out the guy who owned it died and his widow cannot find the title. So getting a title would be a pain. But here in Never Never Land I here it is not all that hard. It looked worth fixing up if someone needed a beginer bike for their wife or teenager. But in reality, its still a guttless '80s 550.

Back