• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pics from my (new to me) SX10 IS

Reaction score
Bought this camera from a nice guy on this forum. For me it's a step up to basically a point and shoot camera with a nice lens (35mm optical zoom equivalent of 28mm to 560mm).

These are a couple of pics that I like. They are both of a golf course near where I live. To me, your eyes kind of move around the picture taking it all in. So I think the composition is interesting.

Let me know if you agree.

twigs2.jpg

This one has a more depth of field effect:

twigs.jpg

Last edited:
The images are very sharp and have nice contrast. Looks like the camera will do nicely.

I had to look up what an SX10 was, as I had not heard of it before. This is it right?
0228_canon-sx10-is-review.jpg

How does it do when you are zoomed all the way to 560mm :eek2:? How about a comparison between a subject at 28mm and the same subject at 560mm?

The images are very sharp and have nice contrast. Looks like the camera will do nicely.

I had to look up what an SX10 was, as I had not heard of it before. This is it right?

How does it do when you are zoomed all the way to 560mm :eek2:? How about a comparison between a subject at 28mm and the same subject at 560mm?

Yes that's the one dixonduke. Thanks, I think it's going to be fine, although it is big and bulky.

Will try to get some pics showing the zoom capability. It's enormous though, but at full zoom things do become somewhat limited, from what I've read (I think f-stop wise).

I've always enjoyed photography, and may be moving to Arizona soon. The camera would be an asset there, so much natural beauty.

these show the zoom capability. This is just the optic zoom, you can of course zoom in further digitally. Because the megapixel is so large digitally zooming does look okay to a certain extent.

(resized these to not take up more then needed space to show the effect)

From the balcony:

first.JPG

first1.JPG

Looks like you'll be able to do a lot of nice peeping, really nice.

I have a couple of questions. The four AAs in the camera last how long? and for lack of a better term, is this a high speed, low drag point and shoot? Thinking about getting a DSLR, but if this works about the same, simple is good.

Two things jump at me: The saturation seems really flat; did you set the camera up this way? The photos look a little overexposed. I like what you were trying to do; and you certainly have potential pursuing it, but I have to say that I'm not deeply impressed with the work the actual camera did. And I'm surprised. Though I do find Kodak and Sony PNS algorithms more pleasing to my particular tastes.

I have a couple of questions. The four AAs in the camera last how long? and for lack of a better term, is this a high speed, low drag point and shoot? Thinking about getting a DSLR, but if this works about the same, simple is good.

My experience so far, and from the reviews I've read, the 4 AA's should last quite a long time.

Because we don't have any actual "camera on 3 hrs a day, 100 pictures per day" type of data... well the reviews and my experience are subjective obviously.

The zoom is quite fast, and some reviews indicated its speed being the best.

Use to have an SLR, back in the day, a Nikon F4 body. And some of the accompanying Nikor Lenses. That was a long time ago. I went for this camera because of the lens. It's probably got more capability then what I'll ever need ;)

Two things jump at me: The saturation seems really flat; did you set the camera up this way? The photos look a little overexposed. I like what you were trying to do; and you certainly have potential pursuing it, but I have to say that I'm not deeply impressed with the work the actual camera did. And I'm surprised. Though I do find Kodak and Sony PNS algorithms more pleasing to my particular tastes.

Haven't done anything (as far as I know) that would affect the saturation regarding the camera. Although I did use the "auto correct" of the software. That *may* be what you're noticing re overexposed and saturation.

Others have commented in a different thread they thought the contrast and sharpness were excellent.

I don't know, I'm just a hacker having some fun :) lol

thanks for your comments though, it's appreciated.

my wife has the sx10 and I have an sx20 we both love them. we got ours by being in a canoe accident in big bend. We lost 2 sx5's that we loved so sent them back to Canon with a note on how we destroyed them. Canon said they would repair them for a little over 100 apiece. A few weeks later these cameras came from them. I sure hope we don't do that again as this seems to be the last really high end point and shoot that takes AA batteries.

Haven't done anything (as far as I know) that would affect the saturation regarding the camera. Although I did use the "auto correct" of the software. That *may* be what you're noticing re overexposed and saturation.

Others have commented in a different thread they thought the contrast and sharpness were excellent.

I don't know, I'm just a hacker having some fun :) lol

thanks for your comments though, it's appreciated.

Actually pretty good! :clap:

And here comes the "But", I agree with Johnny Monsoon. Your overexposed and that's not your fault. Are you using the green box or the auto mode? When you shoot in the green box mode, the camera chooses your f/stop and exposure time for you and the camera is easily fooled by high lighted areas and lower lighted areas and the best most cameras can do is "Average" the exposure. Now take that light colored wheat looking bush with the darker background of the golf course. And add in the tree to the right. The camera is confused. :doh:

There is no camera made that is smart as us and has the vision we have. We know it's hard to understand, but a camera doesn't take great images, photographers do. And I aint preaching, I'm still new myself but I hope it helps all of us to bounce this around and learn from each other.

Ill post my take and I hope I don't get flamed for this.

When your shooting images, just don't take pictures and hope they turn out well. Have a purpose, an intention and a focal point. Ask yourself what is the intention of this shot? What am I trying to tell others of what I envisioned?

And you can't do that in the green box mode. Youll need to learn about depth of field, exposure and lighting and the ability to tell the camera what you want it do rather than it guessing for you.

I like your shots and my guess you are interested in improving your ability so I hope I didn't come across as over critical and some kind of snob, I'm new myself and hopefully I can pass on some stuff I just learned.

A book that is highly suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0817439390/?tag=twowhetex-20

Actually pretty good! :clap:

And here comes the "But", I agree with Johnny Monsoon. Your overexposed and that's not your fault. Are you using the green box or the auto mode? When you shoot in the green box mode, the camera chooses your f/stop and exposure time for you and the camera is easily fooled by high lighted areas and lower lighted areas and the best most cameras can do is "Average" the exposure. Now take that light colored wheat looking bush with the darker background of the golf course. And add in the tree to the right. The camera is confused. :doh:

There is no camera made that is smart as us and has the vision we have. We know it's hard to understand, but a camera doesn't take great images, photographers do. And I aint preaching, I'm still new myself but I hope it helps all of us to bounce this around and learn from each other.

Ill post my take and I hope I don't get flamed for this.

When your shooting images, just don't take pictures and hope they turn out well. Have a purpose, an intention and a focal point. Ask yourself what is the intention of this shot? What am I trying to tell others of what I envisioned?

And you can't do that in the green box mode. Youll need to learn about depth of field, exposure and lighting and the ability to tell the camera what you want it do rather than it guessing for you.

I like your shots and my guess you are interested in improving your ability so I hope I didn't come across as over critical and some kind of snob, I'm new myself and hopefully I can pass on some stuff I just learned.

A book that is highly suggested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0817439390/?tag=twowhetex-20

Hey Gary, yer fine, no worries. For me, it will be a re-learning experience, it's been a long time.

but it's fun and I enjoy it, when there's time ;)

I'll revisit this later, and thanks for the book recommend, looks pretty good. just checked and yeah, set on green mode Auto.

Since I'll be in Arizona soon, gonna need to work on getting the best pics I can :)

I'll agree they look a tad bit overexposed. Do you recall how the day actually was compared to the resultant images? How far off were they from one another?

The overexposure can easily be fixed via a couple approaches to include 1) post processing software and decrease the exposure a third or half stop at a time to see what overall happens, 2) go into a mode other then Auto and start playing around with shutter speed/apreture, or 3) look for an Exposure Bias or Compensation feature and simply dial in a bit more or less exposure to more closely match what's really there.

Overall though, I'm impressed with the sharpness/clarity at those monster focal ranges....

All of the points you guys have made are helping, thanks. So, I went back to the original picture (without the software "auto correct"). Just have the full zoom one from the 2 showing the ability of the zoom lens...

I think it looks much better... what do you guys think?

second.JPG

All of the points you guys have made are helping, thanks. So, I went back to the original picture (without the software "auto correct"). Just have the full zoom one from the 2 showing the ability of the zoom lens...

I think it looks much better... what do you guys think?

second.JPG

Much better, but I would crop out the bush to the right.

Back