• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camera Bags

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Hello, my name is Duke and I have an addiction to.... Bags.

What do you all use?

My newest addition and current favorite is the Thinktank Streetwalker Harddrive. Which is a backpack bag that will also hold my 15" Macbook Pro.

The construction is first class. Every stitch and the zippers feels like they will last a million miles or better. It is a small'ish to medium sized gear bag in my opinion, but is almost like Marry Poppins duffel when you start to load it up.

I got it from Adaroma for $179.00 Free Shipping (No Tax).

Thinktank Site

Here is mine (beside my Kata DR-467I).

1206026538_GyYDT-L.jpg

My Kata backpack would hold my gripped D90 with the 18-200vr attached, the Wide Angle and 35mm prime lenses in its padded compartment, and the flashes would stuff in the upper "pocket", and carry my 15" Macbook Pro with ease. However as I am collecting more lighting and more lenses I wanted to be able to carry MORE.

Now, this is not a "real life use" example, because I don't travel with ALL my gear all the time, but there are times that I wish I could carry just a bit more than the trusty Kata Bag would permit. 2 years of collecting camera swag all fits in the Thinktank.

1206026789_9ct8f-L.jpg

1206027118_54Ph2-L.jpg

Itemized list, again just to show its capability. I do not carry this much ever. Just wanted to show it off.

Nikon D90 + Battery Grip with 35-70 f/2.8D (with hood) attached.
105mm VR Macro
18-200mm VR
35mm 1.8
Tokina 11-16mm
Sigma 50-500mm
SB-600 Speedlight
SB-900 Speedlight
Flip Video Camera (just to show space available)
A couple of Flash Gel packs
Various lense filters
(2) AA Rechargeable Battery Wall Chargers
Ziplock Baggie with a bunch of AA Batteries
Nikon Battery Charger
Baggie with lense cleaning cloths
Rocket Duster & Brushes
Wired & Wireless Camera Remotes
A couple of Flash Diffusers
Waterproof Cover
15" Macbook Pro + Corded Power supply
(2) 1tb External Hard Drives

The only downside is it will not fit in the pannier of the GS-ADV like the Kata Bag would, by being about 1" to long.

Very Detailed (Much better than I will do) review of the Thinktank

So, your turn now, what is your favorite bag?

I used to have a Tamrac backpack about the same capacity of yours shown there. I'm probably most mad about it getting stolen along with my defective D70.

I also have a nice sling bag from Tamrac that I used more often than the big one. I like the slings because they stay on your back like a backpack but you can slide em around front when you need to get into them instead of having to take them off. Very handy when you are climbing around on rocks and stuff and don't need a camera swinging from around your neck but you do need it to be handy.

Seen in use here with my camelbak...

IMG_5275.JPG

I have never thought of a sling bag. I can see the benefits of it though.... yes.... I think I can even justify a need to give one a try!

I had a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home bag (Sholder bag) for a while, but never fell in love with it.

P.S. Nice Photo! Is that Silverton, Co down below?

Mine is an older model, but here's a nice video about them.

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm

I picked mine up with some Tamrac credits I had while working at the camera shop and having checked out and played with about every bag we had. I've been very happy with it. Just need to get another camera for it sometime.

I've got a Tenba Messenger. Don't love it so much. It'll fit quite a bit, but I'd rate the construction pretty poorly. The padded area of the strap has come apart on the ends, exposing the padding inside. Honestly, when I feel like I need to bring the kitchen sink I just bring my Pelican. I used to even strap it to the back seat of the SV!

I've pondered getting another bag, something small. Think Tank comes up often, so I may have to give one a shot. Lately I tend to travel with the intention of shooting one of my medium format cameras more than my digital, and the addition of that folding camera is something of a game changer.

What I think I'd want, based on how/what I shoot most often these days, would be the ability to bring the following along:

- 5D Mark II + battery grip + 50 1.4 mounted.
- My small flashlight (for focusing in low light)
- 1x 285HV + spare batteries
- Agfa Isolette II + a box of film.
- CF cards
- Spare batteries for Canon + charger

That makes up about what I feel is necessary at any given moment. If the 5D could be replaced with my Mamiya C3 or my Pentax 67 for various occasions, that would be ideal. For the most part the Tenba does this all. It just doesn't do it especially well.

Just got back from Best Buy picking one up. And a tripod just cuase it was pretty. :eek2:

Canon 200dg to hold my new 7D.

Attachments

• 514PTJH36CL._SL500_.jpg
    514PTJH36CL._SL500_.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 185
I just got rid of two bags myself, felt pretty good.

Now we're down to the backpack, small day bag, and the black mamba. She holds all; camera, zoom lens, battery charger, video cable, filters, and the kitchen sink.

I like Lowe Pro stuff.

LowePro backpack that can hold 2 bodies, 3 lenses, flash, and various stuff.

Lowepro bag that just holds a body and lens and a flash

Lowepro rolling bag that holds all my kit for a wedding.

All are at least 5yr olds and have held up well but I'm not shooting as musch as you'll are. I just shot a kid's birthday this past Sat. and the backpack came with me.

Sling bag would be too much weight on one shoulder for me.

Sling bag would be too much weight on one shoulder for me.
I only use the sling bag when I'm brining along a minimal amount of equipment like when climbing around on rocks and stuff. I would admit that the huge sling bags would be heavy but with just the camera and bare necessities I don't even notice it's there.

Back