• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Miles per tank

Tasi

Reaction score
Just for the **** of it one day i tried to see how far i could get on one tank
of fuel .Filled up on the center stand and ran it till it stopped .
Total miles covered at normal legal speed was a surprising 274 miles until
it stopped .Thats 443 kls .Anyone silly enough to try and beat it ?
This was on a 1250Bandit (09 ) naked.The bike not me.:eek2:

This is something my dad likes to do on any new bike he gets so he generally knows exactly how far he can stretch a tank of fuel before needing to stop. I've been meaning to throw two MSR bottles in my bags and do it on my FJR.

200 on both the GPZ and Night Hawk:rider:

There sucking fumes at 200. I have never run out but sure have been lucky. Each time I pushed them to the 200 mile mark each bike took exactly what the manufacture said the tank held.

On my 1250S , I've seen 217 once and pulled in for fuel and it took 4.8 gallons in the 5 gallon tank. I've ran out at before at 200 miles but had extra fuel onboard. Depends on wind and temperature for me.

Tasi - Can you tell us how you did that test? Meaning, did you go riding all in one day and stay near gas stations, did you carry a spare bottle, did you have a chase car??

Kinda curious.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Filled up the night before on centre stand .Now here is the trick ,in the
morning at home add more fuel ,i found i could get in another litre.
Maybe because the fuel had cooled overnight.It kind of settles and
you wonder where its all going. Left early so it was cool and just rode at
traffic pace,nothing real slow just sightseeing pace.Started the bike and
didnt turn it off till it stopped. Near the end i was saying "please stop "
sore bum,hungry,hot,tired but it kept on going .Carried 1ltr of spare fuel
on the back seat ,no bags or flappy cloths. 275 miles, sound a lot better
with 443 kls .Hate that fuel guage it tells you to get fuel too early
so you ignore it .Buy the time the last thing flashes you think ,how long
has that been on.:doh:
The things you do with a bit of spare time.Anyone willing to try and beat it ?

Naked bandit so you might do better on the faired model.

I've done a bit over 250 miles on one tank and I'm sure I could have gotten more but didn't want to risk running out without a fuel station near by...Done 240 a few times as well...Usually I fill up at about 220 or so to be on the safe side.

Given the funky gas we hafta run here in Kalifornia, I know that I am likely to see my low-fuel indicator blink at around 120 miles, 50 miles later BOTH of my low-fuel indicators start to blink, 20 miles later I'll run out of gas.

190 miles on an '08 with full Givi system, my 245 pounds, BOTH prior to AND after my performance mods.
If I'm at a higher altitude, my mileage improves. If I fill up with Nevada gas AND ride home via higher altitudes, I can boast similar results as those posted by youz other guyz....

I have never ran it out of gas, but I can easily go past the 300 mile mark. over 7 gallons of usable fuel.

I have never ran it out of gas, but I can easily go past the 300 mile mark. over 7 gallons of usable fuel.

Where did you find a 1250S Bandit tank what holds that much fuel or do you have an aux tank? Just wondering.

Never went until it quit, but I usually get 54-55MPG on my 1200Bandit. Miles per tank isn't a great measure of fuel mileage. I once owned a modified Yamaha with an 8+gal fuel capacity.

I consider range the most important thing in what I do. I like at least near 200 miles if not more. Playing around in the desert west makes you want more at times. Now, on my KLR, it's a non issue. ;-)

Have you done anything special to get that kind of mpg out of your bike? I cruise 30 miles round trip on the highway everyday doing about 80 mph actual speed (90 indicated), and I'm only getting like 32-38 mpg. I've got my tires inflated to the proper pressure, and I keep my chain lubed. What's your secret?

Have you done anything special to get that kind of mpg out of your bike? I cruise 30 miles round trip on the highway everyday doing about 80 mph actual speed (90 indicated), and I'm only getting like 32-38 mpg. I've got my tires inflated to the proper pressure, and I keep my chain lubed. What's your secret?

No secrets - just a lot of variables here.

I ride fairly spirited but not reaming it to death. I am located at 900 feet altitude. I have a Speedo Healer with which I have the odometer set exactly to the GPS (speedometer is off by a couple MPH at 60). I have a 17 tooth front, tires set right, etc, etc, etc. I have the full stage 2 mod with stock header.

I get 33 mpg average.

jonathan,
As a fellow California resident, using the same gas..... outa my '08 1250 I find myself getting the same gas mileage as you; generally logging in at 38 mpg. With my mods, I am able to get better mileage outa the bike at higher altitudes, even riding more aggresively and at faster speeds. It has something to do with the air box mods fooling the ECU into actually running more lean.... opposite what one might expect given my near perfect (albeit a little rich) air/fuel ratio at sea level..... or some'n like that.

As a reference , my fuel mileage figures from different towns I was in last summer on a trip. Bandit, Tank bag, Givi side and Cooscase top box. Yosh can was the only modification to the bike at that time.
This is an older guy just touring and not speeding a whole bunch or playing Johnny Road Racer.

Sealy, TX 41.9
New Braunfels, TX 40.3
Junction, TX 42.7
San Angelo, TX 42.7
Lemasa, TX 49.7
Arteasiz, NM 48.2
Alamogorto, NM 47.4
San Lorenzo,NM 48.0
Reserve, NM 54.3
Quemado, NM 53.9
Thoreau, NM 55.2
Cortez,CO 55.0
Red Mesa, AZ 50.1
Kayenta, AZ 51.6
Page, AZ 50.8
Kaibab,AZ 56.0
Flagstaff,AZ 52.9
Gallup, NM 46.4
Alburcurie NM 46.9
Hillicothe, TX 43.2
Ft. Worth, TX 44.3
Liberty City, TX 43.7
Natchatochis, LA 45.6

Altitude really makes a difference. In FLorida, I generally get about 35 mpg (47 tooth rear), that with moderate riding town and road (on road only about 40-41). When my son and I went to the NC/TN mountains, even flogging it in the corners I averaged 45. With extended highway it was 48. Only mods I have are 47 tooth (slightly better acel than with a 17 tooth front, and less chain wear) secondaries removed, and a speedhealer. I run Michelin road 2s and generally 38 psi both ends(no bags or extra weight ...except myself :eek2:

Altitude really makes a difference.

+1. Altitude makes a huge difference. Around Austin/Hill Country, it's rare that I see much more than 45mpg. The same type of riding in Big Bend, or in AZ/CO or in the Smoky Mtns where I'm at 5,000' or more will net me 50+mpg everytime. I've seen as high as 56-57mpg puttering along in NC where speed limits kept me at or below 60mph and I was at elevation.

Jonathan - Speed is definitely what is killing your MPG. If you did that same route, at 65mph, you'd probably see 45mpg... The Bandit isn't terribly aerodynamic. Do you have luggage?

I think I've hit 250mi on a tank a time or two, but I never carry extra fuel, so I've never run it completely dry. 270+mi is impressive.

trey

Last April, I took a trip to Key West, Fl. Coming back, I lost my laptop computer with all my pictures and track logs due to not securing my top box and packing the computer wrong. I didn't notice it till about 130 miles down I-10. Was no use in going back and look for it since I was averaging between 70 and 80 mph for the time. I did keep GPS mileage and fuel stops in my notebook for most of the trip. Here is a run down of the mileage I did then. This is all GPS miles and not the bike with the speedohealer percentage added.
Walker, La 41.5
Mobile Bay 45.2
Freeport, Fl 49.7
Madison, Fl 47.8
Point Verda, Fl. 46.5
Melbourne, Fl 47
Miami, Fl 45
Saddle Keys 51.3
Florida City, Fl 49
Immokalee, Fl 50.8
Orange, Fl 48.7
Daysville, Fl 49.7
?? , Fl 41.6 On I-10 till home
Crestview, FL 44.5
Gulfport, Ms 42.5

just a couple weeks ago I left from irvine california to elk grove california on highway 5 sent to 99 the temps high thirty's low 40 most of the way I got about 51 miles per gallon using arco and costco gas .
on the way back on highway 5 about 10 miles per hours faster average and buying loves and ta truck stop gas the temperature was in 60s I got about 43 miles per gallon

Man you fuel injected guys are lucky! My ZRX 1100 gets about 35 mpg here (3200ft elev.) and gets worse the higher I get (mixture gets richer). I can feel a huge power difference when I ride down into the hill country or other places with lower elevation, and significant power loss when I ride up into the mountains. It's still plenty of power, but you can really feel the effects the elevation has.

Oh and just for grins, the furthest I ever got on this bike was 172 miles on a tank. I actually ran it out completely about a mile out of a town (I was on a trip). Leaned the bike all the way to the left to get to the last few drops, and sputtered my way to the gas station. I had been sweating bullets for the last 35 miles of no towns and sitting on reserve!

I got close to 280 miles on 4.8 gallons on my ninja 250 once, and that was without running out so I'm not sure how much farther it could have gotten.

Heard in some cases those Ninja 250s can get something like 75 MPG. If that's accurate I'd guess somewhere around 350 miles lol.

I am hard pressed to get 170miles a tank. :(

Mark

When traveling across country, I'm looking for gas at 100 miles. If I stop to take a break in the hot weather at 80 miles, I'll top off. You just never know out west. Years ago I had to knock on doors and buy gas from ranchers or whom ever. Just because the modern tech of my GPS says there is a gas station at X miles, does not mean it is still happening. Too many have closed down and the data base is not up todate. And, once in awhile, a new one springs up and you say "Wha Hoo" . :lol2:

Back