PDA

View Full Version : Low-end GPS ??

Desert Skies
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
My Magellan 315 didn't survive a 60MPH encounter with the highway (don't ask) and I need to replace it. I don't want an expensive color unit with bells and whistles out the wazoo, just a grayscale unit that does tracking and has map download capabilities. I don't need to have it generate routes or give me turn by turn. Three units I am considering at this time are the Gamin GPS V, Magellan Sport Track Pro and Explorist 400. Anyone that would like to offer his or her experiences with any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DS

CycleCat
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I've upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP 60C and have the old GPS for sale. It's a Garmin eMap with 8 and 32 MEG cards and a protective cover. $150.

Greyscale screen, one of the biggest screens on a pocket size GPS. Not waterproof. Looks as good as new. I'll even send it preloaded with a bunch of Texas maps. :chug:

Desert Skies
10-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Sounds good Chris. Does it have PC cable and a way to mount on the bike?

CycleCat
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Yeah. It's got a cable. You'll have to buy some Garmin map software before it'll do you any good though. But like I said, I can pre-load it with a huge chunk of Texas data already loaded. Just tell me what you want.

I made a homemade bracket. I don't know if it'll work on your bikes or not. Garmin makes a bicycle handlebar bracket that could work but it doesn't look too sturdy and it prevented me from using the silicone cover. Although still preventing use of the cover, a RAM mount is definitely better.

Here are a few pics of it on my bike:

http://cyclecat.smugmug.com/photos/8360215-M.jpg

http://cyclecat.smugmug.com/photos/39627265-M.jpg

Desert Skies
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the offer Chris. After some returns on the other boards, I thing I will add a little to the $150 and get the GPS V. H3ll of a deal on your unit though...

CycleCat
10-14-2005, 09:17 AM
No biggie. My dad says he wants to buy it, but he's been saying that for almost a year and still hasn't pulled cash outta his pocket. :roll:

Jack Giesecke
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I just stick my emap in the map pocket of my tank bag. Have a map holder on the Wing's "tank" where it rides. I don't have any of the fancy download software or cards or anything in it. It still shows down to state highways. I have software that I can get coordinates off of. I can use that to find coordinates of an address before I leave home and manually enter it into the emap. It works surpisingly well and makes finding an address a whole lot easier. AND, I can use it in the boat, on the trail when hunting/hiking, where ever. It only uses two AAs, so I don't even bother with any external power. Lasts all day in continuous use.

Have to be careful with it, though, cause it isn't waterproof. I haven't wanted to "upgrade", have no need.

birdwh
10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
My .02 cents, I have the Gamin GPS V and it does the trick. $250 new with the city select software, adapters, mounts, etc. May be even cheaper now.