• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sport touring tire?

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Nappier
The time has come to consider new tires.
I've poured over endless reviews on the net each pointing in different directions. So I thought I'd throw the question out to you all.
What sport touring tire is the best?
I know it depends.
Well I like to commute and hit the twisties hard.
What experiance have you had?

I really like the Michelin Pilot Road 2. It's a dual-compound tire that is softer on the sides than in the middle. I have a PR2 on the rear of my Buell and after 2000 miles it looks almost new.

I'm going to try the Pirelli Angel ST's this time around. I've heard lots of good things and loved other Pirelli's that I've tried.

It's a bit like asking what brand of beer is best. Plenty of people will offer a definitive answer, but proof will be unavailable.

I really like the Michelin Pilot Road 2. It's a dual-compound tire that is softer on the sides than in the middle. I have a PR2 on the rear of my Buell and after 2000 miles it looks almost new.

western-civilization.120115234_std.jpg

PR2 are some of the greatest tires known to western civilization. I might eventually try the PR3 just to compare.

RB

For me on my Bandit:

Stock lasted around 5k.
Rower Pilot 2CT around 6k.
1st set of Road 2 were about 9k with 3 track days.
2nd set of Road 2s were almost 9k but too many hooligan riding.
3rd set of Road 2s....see the pattern?

I ride about 65%-75% interstate commuting and the rest riding the N GA MTNs.

But as stated above, we all have varied opinions and it depends on your budget. The Angles are good, the B021s are good but no one has convinced me that they last longer, grip better, or provide the confidence the Road 2s do. I'm really tight on money and won't run anything else.

-Joe

PR-2s when I had the FJR. Great grip and long miles are a combo that is tough to beat. Mounted three sets while I had that bike. about 10K on each of the first two, and sold the bike with nearly new tires on it. I would have every reason to have confidence in the PR-3s that replaced it in the lineup.

Had good reviews from the Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring Radials ive put on customers bikes.

Just put a couple sets of Continental Conti Motion-Economy Sport/Sport Touring Radials on a couple customers bikes. Hasnt been long enough to get feedback on the wear patterns and life of the tire yet though. For the price, you could buy two sets of these for one set of high dollar tires so that might be a something to consider if they last reasonably long.

Last edited:
I ran the Pirelli Angel STs on both the VFR and the SV and loved them. My 180mi/day commute consists of one section of 149 (popular sportbike road through the forest) and they served flawlessly for getting high mileage per set and still being predictable and fun once I hit the curves on the way home.

I had a set of PR 2 on my sv and they held a predictable line in the hill country, Which is a great proving ground. I've never tried any other sport touring tire though so my experiance is limited. My money isn't supper tight but that being said I have a wife and three young dughters so I can't be buying new tires every 3k miles. I just sold the sv and bought my wifes brothers 99 kawi ZX9R he liked to drag race so it has an over sized back tire on it. That wont do for my style of riding. I commute and like to hit the twisties.

Michellin's are confident inspiring tires almost to the end of their life. ZX-9 I,d go with a pilot road2 or the new 3. Check out www.motosport.com for some good price package deals shipped to your front door.

PR2 ...... i had read all the comments about these tires but reading everything that was posted did not prepare me for the difference these made to my 1250 Bandit. These tires have to be the best upgrade i've done to my ride.
:rider:

Another big fan of the PR2 here. I've had them on my Bandits, FJR and they are going onto the C14 in about a month. I've tried Avons and Dunlops but have gone back to the PR2s. I was wanting to try the PR3 but could not find a set at the time I was ordering. Most places were out of the rear in my size.

Since the Road 3 is replacing the Road 2 I figured it'd be more but my buddy on an BMW RT1200 went with a 3 because it was $30 less than the Road2. Since I got him to try the Road 2 I made a believer out of him (but he didn't like the road noise) and said the Road 3 doesn't make a road noise so he's a REAL happy camper. His 3rd set, my 4th set was just put on.

Since the Road 3 is replacing the Road 2 I figured it'd be more but my buddy on an BMW RT1200 went with a 3 because it was $30 less than the Road2. Since I got him to try the Road 2 I made a believer out of him (but he didn't like the road noise) and said the Road 3 doesn't make a road noise so he's a REAL happy camper. His 3rd set, my 4th set was just put on.

You are on your 4th set of PR3? I did not know they have been out that long. Where are you buying the PR3? As stated above, all the places I have check have been out of stock on the rear for the C14.

You are on your 4th set of PR3? I did not know they have been out that long. Where are you buying the PR3? As stated above, all the places I have check have been out of stock on the rear for the C14.

Now you Know why there out of stock

my apologies, I should have been clearer - my 4th set of Road 2s. I've yet to buy the Road 3 but I will as soon as this new Road 2 set wears out in a month and a half or so.

I've taken to Shinko on the SV, cheap, but effective. Now, though, you gotta understand, I'm a guy that ran Cheng Shins on my GL1100A. :lol2: Hey, I've road raced and won on Kendas. There's some cheap stuff out there that works, don't all have to cost 500 a set.

I wasn't fond of the original PRs, but I hear the PR2s is like night/day compared to those.

I ran a set of Avon Azaro's for ~12k mi on the rear, front was cupped :doh:
Put on a set of Avon Storms (need to calculate mileage on that set) and am just about to spoon on a set of Storm 2s.

I've enjoyed the Avon's and have had great service from them. Plenty of life, predictable, sticky grip and great in the rain. :thumb:

Back