• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

broken ignition key

Reaction score
Key broke off in ignition :tears:

So far I've tried using a pick set, forceps, and have JB welded several thing to the key stub with no luck.

A lock smith worked on for about 45 min and gave up!

Anybody have any crazy/good ideas before I have to replace the ignition?

Superglue? If your next step is to replace the ignition anyways, what do you have to lose?

(Thats not rhetorical, BTW. There may be very good reasons not to try superglue. Caveat Emptor.)

I once saw a guy use a battery charger like a welder. He grounded the bike with one cable and clamped a piece of wire in the other. He touched the wire to the key and after it arced a couple times and the wire stuck, he cut power to the charger and used the wire to extract the key.

It was not a bike with electronic ignition.

If in doubt about the safety of your ignition, use super glue. Better yet, super glue gel. I would think a dab on the end of a paperclip would accomplish the same feat. Baking soda will instantly harden superglue... just drop a tiny pinch in the slot after making the connection.

I was about to suggest about the same thing, but with an actual stick welder. I remember somebody working for a welding supply place saying they actually had welding rods designed for bolt extraction. Gotta be careful not to get slag in your mechanism, though.

Unplug the wire harness from the switch and then get nasty with it you wont hurt any thing , if you cant get it out you have to raplece it any way. good luck . SEYA

txmedic said:
How about a piece of solder and a wire instead?

The metal of the key is not a type that takes solder well unless you get it real hot. By then you may be melting stuff you don't want melted. He'll most likely end up with loose solder "pellets" in the key slot.

I lack the equip and guts for the welder solution. I tried the wire + solder trick before I posted to no avail. I then tested it on the key stub and as Cyclecat says it doesn't take solder very well. I tried various glues and epoxies w/no success I've given up on the removal and have begun disassembly. Those theft-deterrent bolts that shear off are a pain in the rear (obviously they were designed that way!) I'm hoping I can get the key out once I have the barrel out. Otherwise I got to rekey the tank and seat look too! I only paid $800 for the bike so I'm not looking to invest $200 in keys/locks.

I hot wired it for now. I've got about 100 miles left before I run out of gas :lol:

Thanks for all your inputs.

Get the numbers off the key and have a new key made for the seat / tank and just use the stub for the off and on. I would take it and shake it upside down until it fell out. :lol: No I mean take the ignition switch off and tap it until come out. The battery and thin wire well work at this time too. two thin blades (x-acto) and wedge it out buy working the thin edges.

Back