• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #52: Eggplant (Creative)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
TexTom and I were talking at one of our Thursday M&G's about some fun, creative assignments he's had his students do over the years. Eggplant came up and I've been mulling this around a bit. Your saying "Eggplant? What in the world is interesting about eggplant"?

Well, lots of things. Did the chicken come before the egg? Was the egg first? Was there literally an egg plant? How about that vegetable called the eggplant? Does it look like someone you know? How does it grow? Are there interpretations of Eggplant we've not yet discovered?

This assignment is for everyone to enjoy, and most of all, have fun with. Your objective this time around is to present a single picture with the title of "Eggplant". You can let your creative juices flow until they run dry, as creativity will be key in this assignment. Along with creativity, I'll be looking for some finer technical aspects like proper focus, composition, exposure, lighting, depth of field and so forth.

And the cool part? Other than the general forum posting rules, there are no rules for this. Want multiple exposures? Do it! Want multiple layers in Photoshop? Do it! Want to merge other images into your submission? Do it! Full-blown creativity license is granted for this one, so let us see what you can come up with and use all the tools at your disposal. By the way, the sample below was a straight shot with just a little post of shadows, saturation and a square crop. So you can crank out just about any interpretation without a lot of post if you go that route.

Use this thread to post examples and to have discussions. Please experiment as time permits so we can have plenty of photographs to think about and ideas to bounce around. A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

All shots submitted in the ENTRY thread must be taken between now and midnight Monday March 28th.

All forum posting rules apply.

I know there's creative types out there and I know there's point&shooters. I sure would like to see you put the 'fun hat' on with this one. Heck - just post some ideas or workable concepts here and let's see where it goes.

Here's one I shot this evening to get you thinking... I present "Eggplant":
1217739378_thPw7-L.jpg

Last edited:
Man as I was reading your assignment (before I looked at the picture) that is eggsactly what came to my mind. :)

Good... the juices are already flowing. I've had a lot of fun just thinking of fun shots to create with this. One must really think about it almost like a paid-for-studio-shot.

So everyone put on those hats and start thinking then simply execute the idea through the lens!

So here's one of Tom's students creations..... yes, it's using post-processing techniques which are allowed this time around. If you're struggling with this, really think OUTSIDE the box. Or consult the googles/flickr searches ;-)

Eggplant:
1219686237_Gognr-L.jpg

Photo ©Leanne Brawner

Eggplant?
img1300315308648-1.jpg

It really makes it hard when I have to have a motorcycle in the shot. Oh ya eggplant doesnt help.

You're on the right track.....

...and nothing says you have to have a motorcycle in the shot for this assignment. :deal:

The leaf thing is supposed to be a baseball hat.
I look much younger and better than that in real life.
TexTom

:eek2:

I didn't know that was YOUR face in the shot. Yeah, I can see the resemblance now. :lol2:

See, you can hardly tell it looks like a person at all.:wary:
Heheheheheheh
TexTom

...I'm off in search of 'ornamental eggplants' as I believe they are called...

Come on you creative types.... It's just an eggplant or an interpretation of what you think eggplant is. The Mrs. has said I'm having too much fun with this one thinking of all the variations of eggplant to photograph.

Next up, I'm thinking eggs..... Now get cracking! :rofl:

Here's another one I did just playing around to keep the juices flowing:
1226000482_v95wG-L.jpg

Come on you creative types.... It's just an eggplant or an interpretation of what you think eggplant is. The Mrs. has said I'm having too much fun with this one thinking of all the variations of eggplant to photograph.

Next up, I'm thinking eggs..... Now get cracking! :rofl:

Here's another one I did just playing around to keep the juices flowing:
1226000482_v95wG-L.jpg

I like this! Maybe a little light on the eggplant to make the color really come out.

Back