• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Michelin Commander

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Anybody out there used the Michelin Commander tires? I'm supposed to go get one put on the rear of my V-Star 650 tomorrow. Hopefully will last longer than the Dunlop that came on it.

From what I recall, the Commander didn't come in too many sizes so finding folks that have experience with it is like hen's teeth. I think it may have been discontinued so check the build date on the tire. Anything less than 5 years should be fine.

My Voyager had a brand new set of them on it when purchased. So I have not ridden that bike with any other tires to compare.

Ride, noise and handling - above average
Wear after 5,000 miles - very good
Tracking the tar snakes, road grooves and expansion cuts - below average

_

Well after the first couple hundred miles I'd have to say the ride and handling on this tire is very good. Definitely an improvment over the stock Dunlop. Time will tell on the wear.

I commute, typical year is 12K maybe more maybe less. This year looks like a 24K if i keep this job. So it is tire time, front tire to be exact. My current Commander was balanced for maybe 60 mph and I can't run 80 and 90 when I need to. You gotta get away from some folks, make a space. But this is about the Commander.
Alas the Commander line is no more, I have been on a hunt for a replacement front. I really like the Michelin Commander, stick wet or dry, cold or hot. Felt them slip one time on a hot and greasy tar snake, they recovered nicely.Once when it was raining and the road section had that greasy slick look.:eek2: I made it so, Now I look and I can only find a few odd sized rears across all the interweb shopping sites. :huh2: It can mean only one thing, they have been discontinued. I found nothing on the Michelin site that indicates they still make them and nothing for cruiser/touring.
I went and found a Dunlop Elite III to mount on the front. I sure hope it is as good as a Michelin. I have not run Dulops in 30 years, they did not work when the road got wet back then, scared me away. Tried the Metzler 880, work real good, last longer than the expiration date. They get to hard and lose adhesion and you still have half life in tread, thats good wear, but I don't do multi cross country trips., Pirelli , good and sticky, to short of life. Avon I have not tried on this Voyager. I can't find an intelligent review of Avons as of this posting.

Looks like I'm a dingbat who cant read tire wear correctly. The front needed it, but the rear is still good to go. Since I bought both, I have a spare rear for when the time comes about 7k miles down the road.

The new Michelin on the front feels fantastic. I dont remember the OEM Bridgestones ever feeling this good. I out about 30 miles on the new front so far.

Back