• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clear coat ?

Tasi

Reaction score
With polished wheels and engine cases is anyone coating them with a clear coat ? I did once but the covers went a bit milky .
With out a coating water stains are a problem unless you keep the polish up .
I dont mind polishing but wonder if there is a better way.

Eastwood makes a good bare metal clear coat however you run the risk of a slight dulling and yellowing over time with any paints. Your other option is to powdercoat them with a clear. Not all clears are created equal, just like with the paints, and some will give you more gloss but they shouldn't yellow or discolor like a rattle can paint.

At 38,000 miles,
I'm still living with my scratched up, chipped, funky looking (thank you snot-nosed, "it's not MY bike", kids who don't give a danm hired by the local stealerships) OEM wheels.

Heck, you might say that my wheels have that 'two tone' look goin' on.....

I RIDE, it's what I do.
:rider:

I stripped and polished my wheels a while back and just wipe them down with pledge or honda spray wax... The problem Ive had in the past with clear coating parts is they always seem to yellow after a while. Powdercoating while very durable can chip and then what do you do to repair it. I would rather have the option of using a little mothers polish once in a while to bring back any lost luster.

POR15's GlistenPC is supposed to be nearly indestructible and won't yellow.
That said, I'm having terrible luck putting it on the wheels of my VFR.

I'm going to have them dipped in something to get back to bare metal and anodize the suckers.

POR15's GlistenPC is supposed to be nearly indestructible and won't yellow.
That said, I'm having terrible luck putting it on the wheels of my VFR.

I'm going to have them dipped in something to get back to bare metal and anodize the suckers.

Anodize dies are organic, and the sun will bleach the color depending on how much time its exposed to the sun.

Anything I've ever bought anodized turned purple or some other crazy color after 1-2 riding seasons. I'll only powdercoat or paint.

What do OEMs coat wheels with then?
My wife's FJ Cruiser has aluminum wheels and they aren't painted, I just assumed they were anodized.

What do OEMs coat wheels with then?
My wife's FJ Cruiser has aluminum wheels and they aren't painted, I just assumed they were anodized.

I can't ever recall seeing factory anodized rims on any motorcycle, so your wife's rims are either just bare aluminum, or they have a clear coat sprayed on them.

As to your other question about just wanting to get your parts clear anodized to protect them, yes you can easily have that done, and obviously since clear anodizing does not also dying the parts with a color, you don't have to worry about the sun bleaching the clear anodizing. Some anodize colors tend to fade quicker than others when exposed to the sun for long periods of time. :rider:

Anodizing aluminum involve these steps.

Cleaning and degreasing
Etching in a caustic bath
Deoxidizing
Anodizing the aluminum
Coloring / dying (not required for clear anodizing)
Sealing

That clutch cover you have MM do you have any coating on that .
Thought about doing mine but looks a nightmare to keep looking good
by hand due to its shape .Or is it chromed it sure is shiney.

I can't ever recall seeing factory anodized rims on any motorcycle, so your wife's rims are either just bare aluminum, or they have a clear coat sprayed on them.

As to your other question about just wanting to get your parts clear anodized to protect them, yes you can easily have that done, and obviously since clear anodizing does not also dying the parts with a color, you don't have to worry about the sun bleaching the clear anodizing. Some anodize colors tend to fade quicker than others when exposed to the sun for long periods of time. :rider:

Anodizing aluminum involve these steps.

Cleaning and degreasing
Etching in a caustic bath
Deoxidizing
Anodizing the aluminum
Coloring / dying (not required for clear anodizing)
Sealing
I looked at anodizing them myself, process doesn't seem TOO complicated, but I don't have the equipment to do something as large as a wheel.

Back