• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SoCo Sunday

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
South Congress Avenue in Austin has been transformed in recent years from a seedy street with hookers, no-tell motels, and slumping businesses to a hip, thriving, eclectic shopping area with a cool name, SoCo. It was such a nice afternoon that my wife, Connie, and I decided to do some window shopping and people watching in the SoCo. I thought I would share a a few pics from our afternoon.

As soon as we got to South Congress Avenue my wife turned to me and said, "Richard, I love you so much!"
1222726172_AWeGS-XL.jpg

"Honey, that is so nice of you to say," I replied, but "I love you more."
1222727772_q4eU8-XL.jpg

This was Connie's first visit to South Congress so I made sure to explain the rules to her. I sure didn't want her getting arrested or anything like that.
1222734570_LUfcB-XL.jpg

Connie promised to be good, so we set off to see the sights.

We had eaten recently and Connie felt the need to freshen up a bit. Luckily the Trident gum folks were standing by with samples of their new Vitality gum. Take all you want. Chew all you take.
1222732315_Vyg9q-XL.jpg

The Mr. Bojangles one-man band was putting on an impromptu concert. And he sang, "Mr Bojangles dance"
1222732312_JbrZc-XL.jpg

We stopped at the store Mi Casita and they had this big-headed fellow keeping watch over the front door.
1222733776_PUNuv-XL.jpg

Of course, Connie had to carry her little dog, Max. He's so ferocious that she mostly carried him so as not to frighten everyone away.
1222728925_FAfxy-XL.jpg

Later on we ran into Marmaduke. Luckily Max was nice to him long enough for me to get a picture.
1222734507_E4mPs-XL.jpg

South Congress Avenue - so close, yet so far out. If you haven't visited yet, you should go check it out. (Yes, I took this photo at another time. This is the Austin Motel, an Austin institute.)
555337109_bPrGb-L.jpg

Last edited:
oh, what a fun day!! And, I'm sure it's nice to the security of such an intimidating guard dog to protect you!

....always enjoy your pics, Rich! Thanks!

Here's a pic last Sunday of me and my son Matthew riding near downtown Austin, on the Town Lake Pfluger Bridge:

SAM_1658.jpg

JM

Nice pics, Rich. Good thing Max backed off of that Marmaduke dog -- you might have had a lawsuit on your hands ;-).

Stuntman Jeff

I'm up and down that section between Oltorf and Riverside several times a day. Lotta lookin' to be done there. Today I saw a bunch of scooter trash hanging at the Exxon at the corner of Congress and Riverside. You should have seen it when SXSW in full swing:eek2: But being the professional driver I was :zen:
Took one of the elderly dialysis patients down through that and sixth street, she was about grumpy as an old lady could get when I started but after the little sight seeing trip she was smiling. Most fun she has had in years just to watch the going ons.
Go! It has its moments.

Back