• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

More help (from) for wife - hill country

Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting really stoked for my hill country trip in 10 days.

Any good tree canopy covered roads to suggest??

Also I hear you guys have been having a draught - is there still good tubing to be had??

any "must do" photo ops to make my moto friends jealous??

THanks

Hopefully those that have spent time in the hill country can offer some advice, I've spent exactly 0 miles on the bike in the hill country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the best riding in Texas in the Hill Country is what is called the "Three Sisters". Plan to stay in Kerrville or there is a motorcycle friendly place in Leaky. Some others can probably give you some good advice on places to stay. Below is a picture of a route around the three sisters, plus a Garmin route if you have MapSource 2011.2

Three%20Sisters.jpg

Three Sisters Route (Mapsource 2011.2)

You should stop by Gardner State Park and visit the Lone Star motorcycle museum.

You should stop by Gardner State Park and visit the Lone Star motorcycle museum.

I think you meant Garner State Park and I agree! And the Lone Star Motorcycle Musuem is in Leaky.

The Museum is in Vanderpool, if you don't have reservations already Garner may already be booked it is the busiest park in the Texas park system.

Tubing is still going strong in New Braunfels but we do need rain

You can get a day pass to Garner. It's a nice place to go for a swim to cool off, then back on the bike to warm up. That water is cold!

The route home along US39 is a mellow, tree shaded run along the river. There are homes all along it, so the speed limit is low. The general store in Hunt makes a nice stop; they serve food in addition to selling drinks and snacks. Sometimes there is a band playing on the weekends.

My wife and I are going up to ride the sisters this weekend, pretty much the exact route jfink mapped out. We'll be staying in Camp Wood.

The route home along US39 is a mellow, tree shaded run along the river. There are homes all along it, so the speed limit is low. The general store in Hunt makes a nice stop; they serve food in addition to selling drinks and snacks. Sometimes there is a band playing on the weekends.

The restaurant in the store used to be open only once a week for Pizza but now they are open every night with a larger menu. If you are interested in a very nice, upscale restaurant that most every "couple" will appreciated, try Elaine's Table right across the street in Hunt. It's a little expensive, very elegant dining but you will feel very comfortable in blue jeans. And there is a country western band almost every weekend in the summer at Criders just west of Hunt 3 or 4 miles.

My wife and I are going up to ride the sisters this weekend, pretty much the exact route jfink mapped out. We'll be staying in Camp Wood.

I'm headed to Hunt tomorrow morning. I will be doing the route Joe posted on Friday with a little side leg up to Junction then back down 377 along the Llano. The stretch from Junction to 41 is mostly overlooked but is a nice little ride.

The Broken Spoke in Leakey makes a nice watering hole for a burger and fries.

Maybe well see each other out there. I will be riding the bike in my Avatar.

Oh, and watch for Trooper Sanchez who will be out soliciting funds for Real county. DAMHIK... :doh:

Hopefully those that have spent time in the hill country can offer some advice, I've spent exactly 0 miles on the bike in the hill country.

You're kidd'n, right?

.....If you are interested in a very nice, upscale restaurant that most every "couple" will appreciated, try Elaine's Table right across the street in Hunt. It's a little expensive, very elegant dining but you will feel very comfortable in blue jeans......

:tab Highly recommend this place. Very good food. The back room overlooks the river. Blue jeans and bike gear are welcome. MAP

There is also a "Photo Op" just outside Hunt. A scale model of Stonehenge with some Easter Island type statues scattered around the property. MAP

There is also a "Photo Op" just outside Hunt. A scale model of Stonehenge with some Easter Island type statues scattered around the property.

Well, you are not going to believe this but ... they have moved Stonehenge ... prolly some alien conspiracy. The owner of the property has it listed for sale and I believe the "museum" in Ingram now has the structure. Still worth stopping and seeing. On the main drag out of Kerrville on the left going towards Hunt.

Stonehenge In Ingram

You're kidd'n, right?

+1 on that.

Tony, we need to figure out how to get you out there sometime. Maybe when baseball season is over and when you have a normal weekend off.

Back