PDA

View Full Version : Kawaski KLX 250 thread.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't think so. I was trying to get a friend of mine to buy it.

But he did get his new Orange thang right.

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
But he did get his new Orange thang right.

Yeah, he did. Now he thinks he's high and mighty. :yawn:

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
You rolling to the Moscow area with the fella's scoutin the Eastex 450.

If I can finish this Job up , I might be up for trailering there , dang sure not gonna ride there from here. I will leave that up to Bullet , That's his neck of the woods anyway.

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
You rolling to the Moscow area with the fella's scoutin the Eastex 450.

If I can finish this Job up , I might be up for trailering there , dang sure not gonna ride there from here. I will leave that up to Bullet , That's his neck of the woods anyway.

Bullet and I were gonna ride up to SHNF, then onto Bastrop. Come join us. I'm riding up from LC.

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Bullet and I were gonna ride up to SHNF, then onto Bastrop. Come join us. I'm riding up from LC.

When , on the 27th 28th part of the month ?

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:38 PM
When , on the 27th 28th part of the month ?

This coming Saturday.

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
This coming Saturday.

Would not be finished yet , what about the end of the month , whats up with then.

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
yeah, end of the month. We gonna be scouting from SHNF towards Louisiana.

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
yeah, end of the month. We gonna be scouting from SHNF towards Louisiana.

Hmmmm , BTW , did you ever get yourself a new shoe.

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm , BTW , did you ever get yourself a new shoe.

Yeah, I got a Shinko 244 - "Golden Boy" :trust:

thebigman
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I got a Shinko 244 - "Golden Boy" :trust:

Yea Right , You went with a 606.

Alex4218
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Yea Right , You went with a 606.

Oh no no, I'm wearing the Shinko. The rear does pretty good, it's the front I don't care much for.

thebigman
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh no no, I'm wearing the Shinko. The rear does pretty good, it's the front I don't care much for.

I'm out , I'll hollar Later.

SwampFox
08-10-2011, 10:26 PM
... I'm wearing the Shinko [244]. The rear does pretty good, it's the front I don't care much for.

Please give a Shinko 244 tire report after a few hundred+ miles.

Alex4218
08-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Please give a Shinko 244 tire report after a few hundred+ miles.

I'll get you a report by end of this weekend.

Alex4218
08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Silver Bullet and I rode from Houston, to New Waverly, College Station, then on to Elgin and Bastrop yesterday, riding mostly County Roads. My total mileage was 482 miles back to League City.

Shinko 422 tires work very well on the pavement, and dirt county roads. No issues at all with rear tire. Front tire does well except for anything loose such as sand.

In a couple of weeks, we plan to ride eastbound from SHNF to Louisiana scouting backroads. :rider:

Clark
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
KLX250S 09 and up Gas Tank 3 gallon, Just received my new gas tank from IMS and installed this afternoon. Fit perfect, went real easy! Bike still looks stock and the shrouds fit back on no problem. In the instructions, IMS says drill new holes for the top mounts on the shrouds, but mine lined up perfect with the original holes! I just can't believe how easy the install was and how stock the bike looks, Great product, and I'm real happy about increasing my tank size 50% !
I thought you guys might be interested !

kojack06
08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
What color IMS tank did you get and can you post a picture? Thanks

KLX250S 09 and up Gas Tank 3 gallon, Just received my new gas tank from IMS and installed this afternoon. Fit perfect, went real easy! Bike still looks stock and the shrouds fit back on no problem. In the instructions, IMS says drill new holes for the top mounts on the shrouds, but mine lined up perfect with the original holes! I just can't believe how easy the install was and how stock the bike looks, Great product, and I'm real happy about increasing my tank size 50% !
I thought you guys might be interested !

Alex4218
08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm getting the IMS tank soon!!

ceddec
08-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm getting the IMS tank soon!!

You need to with those 482 mile days on a KLX. :eek2:

Clark
08-25-2011, 06:16 AM
I just installed my second one on my wifes KLX250SF. Went on very easy! Instructions say to drill another hole for the top mount on the shroud, but mine aligned up perfect with the factory holes. Fit is perfect, absolutely no complaint! If you have any questions - Clark 254-289-8406

bikedork
08-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Has Bikedork sold his machine ?

nope bigman, not yet. but it is for sale. $2800 firm to the first taker. and don't listen to alex....my head was big waaaay before i drank the coolaid. :lol2: i gotta say though, that orange 450 screams like a raped ape on crack and comes with a nice cushy mattress to do it on. :rider: i was messing around at my GF's family ranch i look down, yep that was me, doin 70 across the back 40......in shorts.....no shirt but at least i had my helmet on. :suicide: (ear muffs kids) and i'm pretty sure i was 8 into a 6 pack. the only piece missing was me sayin "watch this" to completely use up the last of my luck. the only thing that really comes to mind is a famous quote by forest gump "stupid is...as stupid does" go ahead.....i can take it :biggun:

Alex4218
09-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I just installed my second one on my wifes KLX250SF. Went on very easy! Instructions say to drill another hole for the top mount on the shroud, but mine aligned up perfect with the factory holes. Fit is perfect, absolutely no complaint! If you have any questions - Clark 254-289-8406

What kinda distance are you getting with your new tank?

Alex4218
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Only 2 KLX's can ride from High Island to Sabine Pass during a Tropical Storm!!

iridered2003
09-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Only 2 KLX's can ride from High Island to Sabine Pass during a Tropical Storm!!there should be ALOT of beach with this low tide and north wind cranking. ride on.

Hellwig
09-04-2011, 09:09 AM
great ride! Pesky rain. mechanical issues. high winds cant stop couple of jarheads. Lets do it again.

Hellwig
09-09-2011, 09:34 PM
nope bigman, not yet. but it is for sale. $2800 firm to the first taker. and don't listen to alex....my head was big waaaay before i drank the coolaid. :lol2: i gotta say though, that orange 450 screams like a raped ape on crack and comes with a nice cushy mattress to do it on. :rider: i was messing around at my GF's family ranch i look down, yep that was me, doin 70 across the back 40......in shorts.....no shirt but at least i had my helmet on. :suicide: (ear muffs kids) and i'm pretty sure i was 8 into a 6 pack. the only piece missing was me sayin "watch this" to completely use up the last of my luck. the only thing that really comes to mind is a famous quote by forest gump "stupid is...as stupid does" go ahead.....i can take it :biggun:

STILL GOT THE BIKE FOR SALE?

kojack06
09-11-2011, 06:04 AM
What kinda distance are you getting with your new tank?

Any chances this tank fits pre-2009 models?

Alex4218
09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Any chances this tank fits pre-2009 models?

IMS has tanks listed on their website.

kojack06
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks. I checked IMS and found none for the 2007. I did find that Clarke offers a tank for the 2007 that is 2.7 gallons. I think I am going to buy one. I rode the KLX about 230 miles today north of Lampasas and around Lometa. The stock tank is too small and I was constantly topping off because I was worried about being short.

Alex4218
09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone have any pictures on their new IMS tank for the 09 KLX?

bikedork
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Nope. But missed a good opportunity for a pic of a BRP upside down. Bwahahahahaha

Alex4218
09-16-2011, 07:11 PM
At least thats the only BRP I've seen out riding hard!

All the other BRP dudes just stay home.

Rman of 237
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM

All the other BRP dudes just stay home.Yeah right!:loco: :lol2:

XR-HIPPIE
09-17-2011, 11:29 AM

All the other BRP dudes just stay home.

yeah right :loco::lol2:

Jack
09-25-2011, 09:39 AM
What's up all. New KLX rider checking in. :rider:

Picked up what seems to be a dirt cheap leftover 09 250SF two weeks ago as my first street bike after a long dirt riding hiatus. I love it so far, suits me perfectly for my commute and is a blast to ride around back roads. It's got way more grunt stock then I was expecting for a street geared 250 thumper.

Quick question regarding a maintenance item. I've been looking at stands lately and can't decide if I want to go with a standard rear stand or a center hydraulic stand, something like THIS (http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBMSA&Product_Code=F0002-000&Category_Code=rear_stands) or THIS (http://www.discountramps.com/hydraulic-moto-stand.htm).

My only concern with the center stand is changing oil. I remember the old one I had was a little funky to get to the oil drain plug. It required some inventive ways to get the oil out without getting it on the stand! Any recommendations for the weekend warrior mechanic who does all maintenance from chain cleaning to valve adjustments?

Thanks!

Alex4218
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
What's up all. New KLX rider checking in. :rider:

Picked up what seems to be a dirt cheap leftover 09 250SF two weeks ago as my first street bike after a long dirt riding hiatus. I love it so far, suits me perfectly for my commute and is a blast to ride around back roads. It's got way more grunt stock then I was expecting for a street geared 250 thumper.

Quick question regarding a maintenance item. I've been looking at stands lately and can't decide if I want to go with a standard rear stand or a center hydraulic stand, something like THIS (http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBMSA&Product_Code=F0002-000&Category_Code=rear_stands) or THIS (http://www.discountramps.com/hydraulic-moto-stand.htm).

My only concern with the center stand is changing oil. I remember the old one I had was a little funky to get to the oil drain plug. It required some inventive ways to get the oil out without getting it on the stand! Any recommendations for the weekend warrior mechanic who does all maintenance from chain cleaning to valve adjustments?

Thanks!

I'd go with the 2nd choice.

Clark
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I just use the side stand, plug is in a position, so all the oil comes out.
Great set-up works fine. For all my other maintenance I use a K&L twist up stand, works great, has a rubber top on it!
I use it for my Veryses, KLX-S and SF, and other street bikes!

I have had it for years, works great !

The new IMS tank is great on the newer KLX's, fits good and gives you
the stock look! I couldn't be happier ! Range around 155 -170

KamLeeR
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Love my KLX! Picked up a used 09 with 100 miles on it last year. Stole it! A little heavy, but my true trail bike. Only thing done to bike, drill air box and FMF pipe. Fun , realiable, and cheap to maintain. Gotta love green!

Electrified
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Anyone know anything about lowering a KLX? My wife wants to DS with me but I need something a little shorter for her. She doesn't like the XT 250 or the CRF 230L. She sat on a KLX 250SF but my options for converting to a DS are limited.

KamLeeR
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Ever thought of making her some specialized boots? My friend is 5'3" and rides a 2008 KLR 650. She had 3" soles added to her dualsport boots. Better to raise the rider than lower the bike.

PM if you would like more info and her name.

Clark
10-26-2011, 02:22 PM
My wife is short and she DS's a KLX250SF. We shortened it with a Kouba link and also lowered the front forks alittle. It sits about the same as a DR200.
Works very well. She really likes the fact that she has a sixth gear, can keep up on the highway, etc !

Clark
10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Also for DS tires on the KLX250SF, I'm running Shinko 244, they come in 17 inch. Look great, wear great and seem to make the suspension very plush !!

Electrified
10-26-2011, 02:32 PM
My wife is short and she DS's a KLX250SF. We shortened it with a Kouba link and also lowered the front forks alittle. It sits about the same as a DR200.
Works very well. She really likes the fact that she has a sixth gear, can keep up on the highway, etc !

We wouldn't have to do anything to the suspension on the SF as far as lowering it. She can sit flat footed on a stock SF. I was a little concerned that the suspension would be a little harsh in DS use because it has been stiffened for its' intended purpose. I haven't talked to anyone personally that has DS'd and SF so it is good to know it can be done with reasonable results. :clap:

Electrified
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Also for DS tires on the KLX250SF, I'm running Shinko 244, they come in 17 inch. Look great, wear great and seem to make the suspension very plush !!

What size Shinko's did you put on and did you have to make any other mod's to the bike other than the one's you mentioned above?

Electrified
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM

I like the pic of the bike but do you have any with the DS tires on it??:rider:

kojack06
11-02-2011, 04:52 PM
OK, here is an oil change question. I changed the oil for this 2007 KLX250 that I just bought. I replaced the oil filter also. When I took the oil filter out, a small spring came out withthe filter. The spring was lying on the bottomof the filter chamber. The owner manual says nothing about this spring. When I got everything drained and the drain plug back in, I installed a new filter and placed the small spring in the receiving end of the filter(the one with the rubber gasket), and placed the oil filter chamber on the filter and put everything back together. Do other owners use the spring? Thanks.

c_m_shooter
11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
OK, here is an oil change question. I changed the oil for this 2007 KLX250 that I just bought. I replaced the oil filter also. When I took the oil filter out, a small spring came out withthe filter. The spring was lying on the bottomof the filter chamber. The owner manual says nothing about this spring. When I got everything drained and the drain plug back in, I installed a new filter and placed the small spring in the receiving end of the filter(the one with the rubber gasket), and placed the oil filter chamber on the filter and put everything back together. Do other owners use the spring? Thanks.

Yes you need the spring. I lay the bike on it's side so it stays put when changing the filter. Others use grease or bend the end of it to make it stay.

kojack06
11-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Do I have the spring in the proper end of the filter? I was worried that it may have gone in the back of the filter, next to the side of the filter chamber next to the engine.

Hellwig
11-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I installed a new filter and placed the small spring in the receiving end of the filter(the one with the rubber gasket), and placed the oil filter chamber on the filter and put everything back together. Do other owners use the spring? Thanks.

If I remember correctly the spring goes between the filter and the cover you remove to replace it, correct me if I am wrong here fellas, I have only been into mine once. It sounds like you put it on the other end of the filter? (In other words with the filter out of the bike insert filter hole side facing in, then spring behind and then cover) maybe your filter is different?

I do remember there is an indentation in the cover for the spring, and I put a dab of grease on it and the spring to hold it in place while I placed it and started bolts. To me that is a little easier than laying the bike over.

Just my 2 cents. if you put the spring next to the opening of the filter I think it would force oil to bypass the filter all together.

Chime in folks if I am wrong here.

Smiley
11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I just recently purchased a used 2009 KLX250s. I've been working on it and made some changes that I feel will improve the overall fun factor of the bike. I decided to forego the IMS tank and added some Rotopax cells. I've added a bash plate, high rise pro-taper bars and a Scotts stabilizer. A couple of racks have been added and I have a plan for carrying gear for some ADV rides. I upgraded the seat and have yet to check if the dyno-jet kit has been installed. I've done a couple of 200 mile+ rides on it and am having a blast on it. I look forward to riding with some other KLX riders soon. JMS

c_m_shooter
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Do I have the spring in the proper end of the filter? I was worried that it may have gone in the back of the filter, next to the side of the filter chamber next to the engine.

The spring goes in first, there is a place for it. Then the filter, then the cover. You can look up the diagram on bike bandit to see.

Clark
11-03-2011, 06:26 AM
The spring goes in the case side, I guess the best way to say this is that there is three little tabs inside the case. put the spring there, then put the filter, with the rubber on the housing, you have in your hand, then screw the two screws down evenly !

The spring keeps the filter rubber grommet tight with the housing, so you don't loose oil pressure !

Hellwig
11-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I apologize for my lack of memory on the issue. Thanks for jumping in gents.
As I remember (see above) it is pretty self explanatory when you get in there and see it. I looked at the BB site and remembered the porting in the cover..

I hope I did mine right. Maybe I should check.

Nah, I did it right.:pound:

kojack06
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks all!!

kojack06
11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, leaned my bike over on a short stool, remved the filter and installed the spring correctly. Leaning the bike over is the ticket. Thanks!! Took my wheels to Ed the tire changer in Holland and had new D606s installed. They are a manly DS tire and this is my first experience with them. Removed the old foam filter and installed a new Unifilter. Will put my Dynajet kit in the carb, modify the airbox and put the FMF pipe and header on this week. I also have a new skidplate to go on as well. What are opinions on skidplate foam? Does it help to quiet the plate any or primary to keep mud from packing in?

Alex4218
12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I see no one has been riding KLX's in the cold weather. Must be because they're hard to start while the weather is cold. I know mine is.

iridered2003
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I see no one has been riding KLX's in the cold weather. Must be because they're hard to start while the weather is cold. I know mine is.now, if you were on a 650L, you wouldn't have that problem:rofl::rofl::rofl::giveup::giveup::giveup:

how's it going alex?:clap::clap::clap:

SilverBullet
12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
now, if you were on a 650L, you wouldn't have that problem:rofl::rofl::rofl::giveup::giveup::giveup:

same same
EFI is the ticket baby, I'm loving it!

Red get that little Kawie running and lets ride!

_

iridered2003
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
same same
EFI is the ticket baby, I'm loving it!

Red get that little Kawie running and lets ride!

_i'll put me some dirt/street tires on that sucker and its on.:rider::rider::rider::rider: not sure if i will be able to keep up with the big boys???:rider::rider::rider:. getting ready to pull the motor apart and replace a seal in it. rotary valve motor. do that and replace the carb ,tires and rear shocks and it will be ready for the road.:clap::clap: i cant wait. im thinking around april/may to be done.:trust::trust::trust:

Smiley
12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I see no one has been riding KLX's in the cold weather. Must be because they're hard to start while the weather is cold. I know mine is.

Mine is running fine. Riding on Sunday. - Cheers!

Alex4218
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
now, if you were on a 650L, you wouldn't have that problem:rofl::rofl::rofl::giveup::giveup::giveup:

how's it going alex?:clap::clap::clap:

How come you Island boyz never leave the rock?

iridered2003
12-02-2011, 05:06 AM
How come you Island boyz never leave the rock?its a sandbar, not ROCK:sun::sun:

Jack
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Mine is my only means of transportation, so I ride it regardless of what is happening outside. It hasn't been a problem to start so far, either when I'm leaving for work at 5 in the morning or going home. It starts on the first try every time (with choke of coarse). My only mods are a jet kit and air filter. But I guess we will see how if fairs this mon/tues when it's supposed to be in the 20s.

Friday was a fun ride to and from work. Cold + Rain. Snapped a photo when I was getting ready to head home in the afternoon. :)
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/txpeterm/Scoot/photo.jpg

Rman of 237
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Mine is my only means of transportation, so I ride it regardless of what is happening outside. It hasn't been a problem to start so far, either when I'm leaving for work at 5 in the morning or going home. It starts on the first try every time (with choke of coarse). My only mods are a jet kit and air filter. But I guess we will see how if fairs this mon/tues when it's supposed to be in the 20s.

Friday was a fun ride to and from work. Cold + Rain. Snapped a photo when I was getting ready to head home in the afternoon. :)
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/txpeterm/Scoot/photo.jpgIf possible you really need to chain that thing to a pole!

Jack
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
If possible you really need to chain that thing to a pole!

I've thought about it several times, but locking it up comes with some drawbacks. The only place to do that where I work would be a bench table near our outdoor break/smokers area where the bench and outdoor ashtray are already chained down to a pillar. I have theft insurance, and my bike is sitting in front of several multi directional security cameras right by the front entrance. The previously mentioned area where I could chain it down out be out of direct sight of the security cameras. :doh:

The easiest theft deterrent I could think of is a hiviz brake disc lock with lanyard attaching to the grip so it can remain in direct view of the cameras. But even then a determined thief(s) could easily just pick my barely 300lb bike up and load it regardless.

Alex4218
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
My KLX has a wicked powerband!!

SilverBullet
12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
My KLX has a wicked powerband!!

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2735266974.html

http://images.craigslist.org/5V35W05S03m33p13lcbc411e7daf379a51c0f.jpg

_

bikedork
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
i removed my power band to strap my tool kit down with. it was worth the loss of a little power to keep from losing my tools. i was thinking of getting another one. "they" say the orange one's add like 10 HP.

Rman of 237
12-05-2011, 04:00 PM
"they" say the orange one's add like 10 HP.A common misconception, orange powerbands only work on orange bikes. Another thing folks seem not to understand (and I mean no disrespect here) is that powerbands in the darker colors of the visible spectrum such as red reap better results than say... those of blue. Green powerbands however reside somewhere in the middle so as opposed to stock, extra green will only produce mediocre results.
Needless to say, you can't install a red powerband in a green bike or vise versa, the engine will reject it.

bikedork
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
oh, well in that case i better spray paint it green first. thanks for the advice. :nana:

Rman of 237
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
oh, well in that case i better spray paint it green first. thanks for the advice. :nana:Use industrial grade paint with a 'flex agent'!!

:nana: :rofl:

bikedork
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
after this i'm really going to have to check the torque on my counter steer and pay close attention to my heads up display. i don't even want to get started about the fore/aft balancer settings and hp control module.

SwampFox
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I received an email from Aerostich promoting their electric Warmbib that draws 30 watts, 2.5 amps. Can a KLX250 handle this without discharging the battery when running down the hiway? Especially if one remembers to turn it off at idling speeds (like I do on the Sportster with the heated jacket liner)?

bikedork
12-06-2011, 06:48 AM
I received an email from Aerostich promoting their electric Warmbib that draws 30 watts, 2.5 amps. Can a KLX250 handle this without discharging the battery when running down the hiway? Especially if one remembers to turn it off at idling speeds (like I do on the Sportster with the heated jacket liner)?

there are conflicting reports, and it depends on what year model you have. pre 09 they are saying 155w, post 09 210w total output. id say you are safe to pull 30 watts as long as you keep your rpm's up (hwy driving) and don't have to many other draws on the system. just throwing a guess with a lot of fat built in you are probably pulling about 70-85 watts as is including engine use, headlight and tail light.

SwampFox
12-06-2011, 07:21 AM
there are conflicting reports, and it depends on what year model you have. pre 09 they are saying 155w, post 09 210w total output. id say you are safe to pull 30 watts as long as you keep your rpm's up (hwy driving) and don't have to many other draws on the system. just throwing a guess with a lot of fat built in you are probably pulling about 70-85 watts as is including engine use, headlight and tail light.

Hmmm..... Look's like it might work OK with my '07 KLX, as long as I remember to turn it off once the rpm's slow. I'm thinking the extra warmth would sure be nice on morning hiway runs when temps are in the 30's-low 40's ( sure is on the other bikes).

bikedork
12-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Hmmm..... Look's like it might work OK with my '07 KLX, as long as I remember to turn it off once the rpm's slow. I'm thinking the extra warmth would sure be nice on morning hiway runs when temps are in the 30's-low 40's ( sure is on the other bikes).

i would bet as long as you aren't running your high beam and no other accessories you would be fine leaving them on. i would guess you are still pushing over 100 watts at idle not to mention your engine isn't using as much of the power for spark. kind of the rule of thumb, take the stator output from the owners manual and usable power is in the 75% range of that number. i'm at work or i would look it up for ya. i have an 06 which is the same bike.

Alex4218
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I think I figured it out. My stock KLX battery is not holding a charge. Anyone have issues with stock KLX battery?

bikedork
12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I think I figured it out. My stock KLX battery is not holding a charge. Anyone have issues with stock KLX battery?

figured what out? my stock battery was junk. the cheapy battery at cycle gear was junk. i got the high end cycle gear battery now with lifetime warranty and its been flawless even with the short i had.

Hellwig
12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I have an idea Alex, you could sell your golden boys to raise money for new dunlops and a battery, you should be able to get enough with cash to spare. Then you would not have an excuse for why you fall in the trails all the time, plus it would lighten your load by not having to lug that 8 pound battery charger everywhere we go.

Just sayin'.

Smiley
12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I spoke too soon. My 2009 KLX250s was running and starting great. A little cold natured but it ran fine after choking it for about a minute and a half. It sat the last two weeks due to work and weather. Last night I tried to start it and it just turns over. Not even a hint of firing. Fuel is full. I tried petcock positions open and reserve. It has a new battery.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rman of 237
12-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Turn the idle screw in one turn and see what it does.

SilverBullet
12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
I have an idea Alex, you could sell your golden boys to raise money for new dunlops and a battery, you should be able to get enough with cash to spare. Then you would not have an excuse for why you fall in the trails all the time, plus it would lighten your load by not having to lug that 8 pound battery charger everywhere we go.

Just sayin'.

Ouch! hahaha
Also wouldn't need to sneak the bike inside the hotel room to plug in that 8 lb charger either. hahaha

_

Smiley
12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Turn the idle screw in one turn and see what it does.

I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks.

Alex4218
12-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I have 2-3 record for falling in the trails, so I am not "falling all the time". Last two rides I fell zero and ya'll began tp panic with me right on your tails!!

bikedork
12-16-2011, 06:46 PM
i wouldn't call it a panic. more of a huge surprise. :biggun:

bikedork
12-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I spoke too soon. My 2009 KLX250s was running and starting great. A little cold natured but it ran fine after choking it for about a minute and a half. It sat the last two weeks due to work and weather. Last night I tried to start it and it just turns over. Not even a hint of firing. Fuel is full. I tried petcock positions open and reserve. It has a new battery.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mine is really hard to start after a couple weeks as well, usually just a couple of blips of the throttle while cranking gets her moving. if you bike is normally cold natured you need to look at your valve gaps. thats a sign they are getting tight.

bikedork
12-16-2011, 06:59 PM
hey have you guys seen these babies?
http://http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/index.html

they aren't cheap, but modular and water tight.

i just ordered a pirelli MT43 trials rear tire for the KTM http://http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/1963/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-MT-43-Pro-Trials-Tire-Review.aspx

people be ravin' bout dees! i guess i'll be the test dummy.

Smiley
12-16-2011, 09:02 PM
mine is really hard to start after a couple weeks as well, usually just a couple of blips of the throttle while cranking gets her moving. if you bike is normally cold natured you need to look at your valve gaps. thats a sign they are getting tight.

I'll look into this b-dork. The bike only has about 1200 miles on it. I've owned many Kawi's and the valves have never been a problem. My last KLR had 65K on it and the valves were still dead on.

Hellwig
12-16-2011, 11:41 PM
hey have you guys seen these babies?
http://http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/index.html

they aren't cheap, but modular and water tight.

i just ordered a pirelli MT43 trials rear tire for the KTM http://http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/1963/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-MT-43-Pro-Trials-Tire-Review.aspx

people be ravin' bout dees! i guess i'll be the test dummy.

I like the bags, a little expensive compared to sealines but the strap mounts look way more friendly. Where did you see how to glue /add straps? That saddle bag mount looks like the way to go for lots of crap, say if you were camping!

Alex sure is defensive. I think Dave needs to have a talk with him!

bikedork
12-17-2011, 12:24 AM
i think the holidaze are getting to him. :loco:

this is one of the companies you can buy parts from, i'll need to do some research and search again to find the supplier.

http://http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1080

seal line is another dry bag company. i've seen the attachments like the wolfman but i can't remember where. back when i was kayaking a lot i was always looking at gear. google is your friend. :moon:

kojack06
01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
For all KLX fans, just received my Feb edition of Dirt Bike magazine and they have a nice little piece on the KLX and the very few basic mods they made to get a nice around town and basic off-road bike. They went for lowest cost since they belive putting too much money into this bike defeats the purpose of it. They added a DG slip-on muffler after removing the stock(keeping the std header), rejetted the carb, and added Kenda DOT approved knobbies. Added 1/2 inch of preload to the forks and cranked the preload down on the rear. I don't think they mentioned mods to the airbox. They like the bike for what it is.

swoody126
01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I like the bags, a little expensive compared to sealines but the strap mounts look way more friendly. Where did you see how to glue /add straps? That saddle bag mount looks like the way to go for lots of crap, say if you were camping!

Alex sure is defensive. I think Dave needs to have a talk with him!

A COUPA GOOD PACES TO CHECK OUT, FOR ATTACHING D-RNGS, STRAPS & STRAP ATTACHMENT POINTS WOULD THE LOCAL TRUCK TARP MFGR/REPAIR FACILITIES & THE FOLKS THAT SELL THE HYPALON RUBBER RIVER RAFTS

THEY BOTH USE THE SAME TYPE OF MATERIAL IN THEIR INDUSTRY

& THEY BOTH ATTACH ATTACHMENT POINTS TO THEIR PRODUCTS

THE RAFT FOLKS USUALLY HAVE GLUE ON ATTACHMENT PARTS ON HAND, ALONG W/ THE MAGIC GLUE

& IN REGARD TO WATERPROOF, I BET THE STUFF THAT HOLDS AIR IN WOULD KEEP THE WATER OUT

SHINY SIDE UP

SwampFox
01-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Update: Last Friday the 13th I ran the WarmBib on my 2007 KLX250S for 4+ hours riding from Shreveport, LA to Umpire, AR, without issue. I did turn-off the Bib when putting thru a town, but I just left the power on at stop signs. I did ride another 3 hours without the Bib prior to parking for the night.

Saturday morning was a cold 23* and I waited 'til temp was 36* before starting the bike without issue.

i would bet as long as you aren't running your high beam and no other accessories you would be fine leaving them on. i would guess you are still pushing over 100 watts at idle not to mention your engine isn't using as much of the power for spark. kind of the rule of thumb, take the stator output from the owners manual and usable power is in the 75% range of that number. i'm at work or i would look it up for ya. i have an 06 which is the same bike.

Alex4218
01-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I run high beams when I'm riding on the road during daylight and never had an issue. I also run Hella lights, but I don't know what the wattage is on that.

Wish I had a bib though. Frio!!

SilverBullet
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
...Wish I had a bib though...

Nah not needed. I've seen you eat before and not too bad.

_

Alex4218
01-20-2012, 11:01 PM
I must say, the KLX is a tough bike!

This morning at Jones Creek, just north of Freeport, I was riding with a bud and I came into a turn a little fast. The turn was a wet with a nice coating of mud. As soon as I saw the hazard, I thought immediately to myself "this is not good." As I predicted in my mind, my rear wheel began to slide out. I quickly let off gas, hoping the bike may grab some traction in the rear wheel. But I ended up doing my first high side, and my first chance of getting a pavement sample. Good thing I was not hurt.

The mighty KLX only received scratches to the plastic on right side and exhaust pipe. I picked up the pick, fixed my mirrors and rode to Shiner, Texas and back. The KLX took a lickin and kept on tickin!!

Tuff Enuff!

Rman of 237
01-21-2012, 05:00 AM

This morning at Jones Creek, just north of Freeport, I was riding with a bud and I came into a turn a little fast. The turn was a wet with a nice coating of mud. As soon as I saw the hazard, I thought immediately to myself "this is not good." As I predicted in my mind, my rear wheel began to slide out. I quickly let off gas, hoping the bike may grab some traction in the rear wheel. But I ended up doing my first high side, and my first chance of getting a pavement sample. Good thing I was hurt.

The mighty KLX only received scratches to the plastic on right side and exhaust pipe. I picked up the pick, fixed my mirrors and rode to Shiner, Texas and back. The KLX took a lickin and kept on tickin!!

Tuff Enuff!Dang Alex, sorry to hear about your getoff, glad you're still tickin'. We were looking for ya out here yesterday, guess y'all ran out of time.

kojack06
01-21-2012, 06:08 AM

This morning at Jones Creek, just north of Freeport, I was riding with a bud and I came into a turn a little fast. The turn was a wet with a nice coating of mud. As soon as I saw the hazard, I thought immediately to myself "this is not good." As I predicted in my mind, my rear wheel began to slide out. I quickly let off gas, hoping the bike may grab some traction in the rear wheel. But I ended up doing my first high side, and my first chance of getting a pavement sample. Good thing I was hurt.

Tuff Enuff!

Glad you are OK.

Alex4218
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks Rman and kojack.

Rman, yesterday was full of surprises. Starting issues, thick fog, the high side, and got a little side tracked on route just southeast of Halletsville. So we never made north of Shiner. But free beer made it worth it.

SwampFox
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
... yesterday was full of surprises. Starting issues, thick fog, the high side, and got a little side tracked....

Whew! Glad you're OK, Alex.

Alex4218
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks Swamp Fox.

XR-HIPPIE
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM

This morning at Jones Creek, just north of Freeport, I was riding with a bud and I came into a turn a little fast. The turn was a wet with a nice coating of mud. As soon as I saw the hazard, I thought immediately to myself "this is not good." As I predicted in my mind, my rear wheel began to slide out. I quickly let off gas, hoping the bike may grab some traction in the rear wheel. But I ended up doing my first high side, and my first chance of getting a pavement sample. Good thing I was not hurt.

Tuff Enuff!

who's wipe-out was better your's or mine.?
a little mud :lol2:
WHAT no :photo:.?

glad yer ok ALEX :thumb:

Alex4218
01-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks Lon.

And I never take pics, I just ride.

who's wipe-out was better your's or mine

Your wipeout was better. :)

SwampFox
01-23-2012, 07:23 AM
OK y'all, I'm ready for a new front tire for my 2007 KLX250S. I've been pleased with the Dunlop 606 on the rear for the past 2,000 miles mated with the OE Dunlop 605. I've read various posts and reviews, and still don't have a good idea re: the front tire.

My D-606 is about 40%, and will likely with replace with another 606, but open to other options.
Any suggestions/advise re: the front tire.

Rman of 237
01-23-2012, 07:39 AM
OK y'all, I'm ready for a new front tire for my 2007 KLX250S. I've been pleased with the Dunlop 606 on the rear for the past 2,000 miles mated with the OE Dunlop 605. I've read various posts and reviews, and still don't have a good idea re: the front tire.

My D-606 is about 40%, and will likely with replace with another 606, but open to other options.
Any suggestions/advise re: the front tire.The Pirelli MT-21 is an option. It's quite common to run the 606 rear and the MT-21 front.

kojack06
01-23-2012, 08:48 AM
I like the tire you have or the Michelin T-63 on the front(I havnt tried the MT-21 yet but certain it is good). Often, I'll run a semi-knobby on the back. The guys here on this site educated me about mixing tire types on a DS and it works well for me. When I know I'm going to spend most of my time on dirt rods than I'll run the knobby on the rear

bikedork
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I like the tire you have or the Michelin T-63 on the front(I havnt tried the MT-21 yet but certain it is good). Often, I'll run a semi-knobby on the back. The guys here on this site educated me about mixing tire types on a DS and it works well for me. When I know I'm going to spend most of my time on dirt rods than I'll run the knobby on the rear

i've been running the Perelli MT-16 (DOT) on my klx for 2 years. its a great tire on and off road. i just installed one on my KTM 450 EXC.

SwampFox
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
For my front tire I've looked at: Shinko 244, Kenda 270, Dunlop 606, Perelli MT-21 and Perelli MT-16. As of now I'm leaning towards the MT-21 front staying with the 606 rear. I too had not considered mixing brands of dual sport tires until reading thru various threads. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hellwig
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM
For all you bi-radial people out there I just thought I would let you know real men dont mix their peas and carrots. Alex is using the golden girls and apparently cannot get enough of them or at least cant wear them out. I am rolling the severely balding 606's and for what its worth being the rookie pilot (yeah been reading Dakar) I am, they rock!

Roll on mighty KLX'rs! You too Dork... aka Toolman (KTM sellout).......................................... .................................................. .........................and no I am not jealous, I dont mind leading a KTM.:lol2:

Alex4218
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Whatever tires you look at, avert your eyes from a pair of Shinko 244s "Golden Boys". These tires do not match up with our region of the Earth. These tires may do well in the Desert (no sand however) or rock. Golden Boys, especially the front tire has not impressed me at all. And yes, they aren't wearing down fast enough. Mounted 244 front in April 2011, Rear July 2011. My stock 605 in the front was better.

I've had a T-63 on the rear and I liked it. I think that tire gives the 606 a run for the money. But I've never had 606. So I think that will be my next rear tire.

SilverBullet
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I've had a T-63 on the rear and I liked it. I think that tire gives the 606 a run for the money. But I've never had 606. So I think that will be my next rear tire.

I've been very pleased with my T-63 rear also. I think of all full knobby tires it has the best on road performance, especially in the wet/rain (weak point I've read about the D606). It has been good in the dirt so far under all conditions sand, mud, dirt and gravel. Not great, but good if you air it down properly. Probably the D606 is better off road but at almost double the cost of the $55 Michelin I can't justify it. Currently I have 1,700 miles on my 140/80-18 rear and it is about half gone. Not bad for a FIM tire and considering my riding and that my bike is 30+ lbs heavier than a KLX.

I've never run a T-63 on the front based on less than stellar reviews for that tire. I run a Pirelli Scorpion Rally front and have been extremely happy with it. At $65 also quite a bit less than a D606. Ok now you see the trend, I'm a cheapskate, haha! Well yes but I put on a lot of miles so need to economize where I can. But I won't economize if it sacrifices my safety. These are both quality DOT tires and the T-63 actually has a higher "S" speed rating than the D606.

_

kojack06
02-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Any ideas, suppliers, etc for a better luggage rack for an 07 model? I really like the Pro-Moto products but they don't offer a rack for an 07 model.

SwampFox
02-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Any ideas, suppliers, etc for a better luggage rack for an 07 model?....

:coffee:

Smiley
02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Any ideas, suppliers, etc for a better luggage rack for an 07 model? I really like the Pro-Moto products but they don't offer a rack for an 07 model.

http://www.cycleracks.com/

I've got one of these on my KLX. Mine is an '09 but the picture on the link for KLX on the left appears to be an '07. These are large racks but the thing I like about it is that it protects the side covers, exhaust and turn indicator lights in the event of a bike drop. They also make pannier backer plates that keep soft luggage off the side covers and exhaust. These clip on. They are pre-drilled for rotopax components. I use these to carry two one-gallon rotopax containers. This is a small company. You just call them up and they will send you what you want to try out. Hope this helps.

kojack06
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Many thanks!

Alex4218
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I like that pro-moto rack.

Smiley
02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I like that pro-moto rack.

Promoto Racks are nice. It all depends on what you want to carry. The thing I like about Cycleracks is that you can carry more on the bike than it can handle. The protection of the side panels etc... is also something that I like. Yes, when you first look at them, they seem a bit dorky looking. I have been a hard core dirt biker and like a clean look but I have found the Cyclerack products to meet the needs of dualsporters. These guys ride and design gear for riders. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :-P

Hellwig
02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Has anyone here used the Michelin T63 and and the Dunlop D606 either front or rear? Ive got a 606 now and looking for a cheaper alternative. As for the 606's I love them but for nearly $200 shipped/pair and as fast as I am wearing the rears out just checking options.
Thanks

ceddec
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

OK, same issue here. Did the idle screw thing work? Any other ideas? SunKissed suggested putting in Lucas Oil carb stuff in the gas which works for her carburated bikes. I bought some and have the battery charging back up. Any other thoughts?

KamLeeR
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Very typical of the KLX. Mine does that all the time when its cold.
Put it in the sun for 30 minutes, or put heatlamp close to case.
Full choke, crank for a few seconds. Do this three or four times. Wait 5 minutes and reapeat. It will crank , just make sure you had it on a battery tender before trying.
I crank the throttle a little when it starts to get it above 3000, the second jet will kill it if not. Once above 3000 rpms, push the choke in and hold steady 30 seconds or so.
Their a pain in the rear, but once warmed up their ready to rock and roll again!

SwampFox
02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
ceddec, for some reason I've had to, sometimes after sitting a couple of weeks, drain some gas out of the carb thru the drain by the 3mm hexhed brass plug accessed from the right side on my 2007 model. After draining a a couple ounces of gas with the petcock "on" it'll crank up without much issue. :shrug: I am now running the carb dry if I do not plan to ride within the next week.

By the way, re: tires: I have ordered a MT21 front to try with the D606 rear already on the bike. I understand this is a common pairing.

ceddec
02-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, we have a running bike again. :thumb: I charged the battery since I'd been trying off & on for a week. This was followed by the KamLeeR method while I installed SAE whip for the battery tender. After about 5 cycles of this over a half hour or so she caught and acted normal warming up. After that she started and ran just fine even after cooling down.

I think SwampFoxmay might be on the right track about the gas & carb but I don't know enough to know why.

GaryHarris
02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I miss that bike. :doh:

kojack06
02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
We told you not to sell that bike!!!

GaryHarris
02-12-2012, 11:52 AM
We told you not to sell that bike!!!

Yea I know, but between the broken collar bone and $60 a month storage, I had to let her go. I'm not done yet. :trust:

ceddec
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
She's doing great Gary. She started right up this morning as pretty as you please and I took her out for a spin acting like she hadn't given this recent grief. I definently need to run her at least once a week but work and travel combined with recent weather are making it difficult.

GaryHarris
02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Them KLX's are cold blooded Dennis. lol

SilverBullet
02-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Yea I know, but between the broken collar bone and $60 a month storage, I had to let her go. I'm not done yet. :trust:

Collar bones eventually heal. Now you're probably healed but no bike. The waiting would've given you time to get those new tires installed.

And why pay for storage? You can get $100 deductable theft insurance for less than $10 a month. If you're still worried, then chain it to a pole with a cover over it. That way it's still handy for riding everyday. If it gets stolen you get a replacement, save your receipts and don't get emotionally attached.

_

SwampFox
02-24-2012, 06:52 AM
... I...ordered a MT21 front to try with the D606 rear already on the bike....

Had Wednesday off so I took a 120 mile loop riding several blocktop and gravel parish/county roads. The MT21 front is noticeably less skittish on the strewn gravel over the hardpack base common in our area. But I don't know if it because the MT21 is a better tire for gravel, or it simply has more tread depth. Either way, I'm pleased thusfar. Also, after scuffing 'em, the MT21 handled a couple of dry-road curves without issue, at least as fast as I care to ride.

Here's a pic of The Last Stop Before Texas -- looking west across the state line road at miles and miles of Texas.

Clark
02-24-2012, 07:32 AM
I also shut off the petcock, and run the engine awhile, and use some of the gas in the carb, if the bike is going to be sitting in garage for a week or two. This seems to cure the hard start problem. My 09 KLX 250-S seems to be more afflected than my wifes 2010 KLX 250-SF, hers seems to start right up, no problem. Matter of fact, hers comes off choke faster, warms up sooner. I think they fixed the carb thing in 2010 !

IvanFZ1
02-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Them KLX's are cold blooded Dennis. lol

Had all intention of leaving mine in it's stock set up, but the hard starts were starting to bug me. So i ordered a jet kit, 128 main, 3 down on the clip and 3 turns out as per instructions for stage 2. The bike starts instantly and only needs the choke for a few seconds. I couldn't be happier.

Alex4218
03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
We need a KLX convention. :)

kojack06
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Just got back home after riding Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at Big Bend NP and River Road all the way to Pinto Canyon. It was first time I had a smaller bike there and I forgot how fun a 250cc DS bike can be off-road. We had a blast until the bad weather came in late Thursday afternoon. It was difficult keeping a bike on 170 back to Terlingua with the wind. The KLX was a hoot on Black Gap Road. I am going to get the Seat Concepts seat for my 2007 though-I can't take the stock seat anymore for those great rides up Medera Pass.(Has anyone any experience with Seat Concepts?

Smiley
03-10-2012, 06:36 AM
(Has anyone any experience with Seat Concepts?

I have installed a Seat Concepts system on my '09. It is great. I've done several 200 plus mile rides on the bike since I installed it. It is a major improvement and pretty affordable.

SilverBullet
03-10-2012, 06:51 AM

The convention for green lovers starts next Friday in Anaheim CA and then another again in July in San Diego. haha

http://comic-con.org/

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/the-green-lantern-comic-image1.jpg

http://www.incredible-hulk-library.com/superhero-library/Img/Characters/hulk-from-the-movie.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/S2xpsKNes7I/AAAAAAAALlc/IUvvAQijCKY/s400/wallpaper-batman-the-brave-and-the-bold-riddler-3.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070818181447/marvel_dc/images/thumb/e/e6/Poison_Ivy_0022.jpg/180px-Poison_Ivy_0022.jpg

Ok last and this one not a comic either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jgYN3JBslms/TvGhS3thlLI/AAAAAAAACkY/NBs_oDOeWZc/s1600/green_giant.jpg

_

kojack06
03-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I have installed a Seat Concepts system on my '09. It is great. I've done several 200 plus mile rides on the bike since I installed it. It is a major improvement and pretty affordable.

Thanks! I put a Sargent seat on my DR650 and it was one of the best accessories I purchased. I thought I'd try Seat Cocepts this time.

kojack06
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Just a question for board members. I ordered the service manuals from Central TX Powersports for my 2007 KLX250S. I got Kawasaki part #99924-1165-03 for the KLX250R/KLX250 and the supplement Kawasaki part # 99924-1240-57 KLX250 D-Tracker that shows it covering the 2007 KLX250H7F. I think these are the correct manuals but wanted to check here with people who know more than I.
Thanx!

Smiley
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks! I put a Sargent seat on my DR650 and it was one of the best accessories I purchased. I thought I'd try Seat Cocepts this time.

We're running in a parallel universe Kojack. I have a Sargent on my F800gs. I like that seat a ton.

Multisurface Rider
03-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Tell me more about your bike with the 351 kit compared to the 250. Is it still realiable, gas milage before and after?

Thanks

kojack06
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, just ordered a 2.7 gal Clarke tank from ProCycle. The stock tank was waaaaay too small for BB and my makeshift 1 gallon can on the rack wasn't cutting it. I figure the Clarke tank with a one litre cannister of extra petrol should make a world of difference.

SilverBullet
03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Tell me more about your bike with the 351 kit compared to the 250. Is it still realiable, gas milage before and after?

Those questions are for Alex to answer but Hellwig can probably give a good rider report as he recently rode Alex's bike and has a bone stock KLX250 to compare it to. Alex's bike is mucho tricked out and he did many mods in serial over a long period of time so I think harder for him to compare performance back to stock.

@Alex4218
What's up with that Shorai battery IED? scary chit

_

Hellwig
03-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I dont know about the mileage and all that, Alex will have to report on that. My bike is jetted, no snorkle, with a evo big gun r full pipe. Also to set the record straight, this KLX is my first ever motorcycle. That being said, I have ridden it now for about 10 months and have logged around 4500+ miles. I love the bike and intentionally bought a 250 to learn on and have had a ball on it, in street and trail. Lately I have been thinking a little more grunt would sure be nice in the trails, especially clearing obstacles etc.. (and I want to ride a wheelie once in awhile, which as you probably know is possible to do on the stocker but not exactly easy, anyway, I have been after Alex for awhile to let me test ride his to feel the difference in the 351 versus my stocker.

Other day he let me jump on it, and I rode it on the highway and on some dirt. Immediately, I felt the difference in the throttle, which I was taking it easy with. It felt like it was picking the weight off the front suspension effortlessly, and definitely gathered speed faster up to around 70 where i cruised down to store for fuel. Then I turned around and headed back, accellerating pretty hard through all 6 gears and I was pretty impressed with the difference.

On the dirt, I slowed it down and played for a minute, pulling several wheelies with throttle only and it was effortless. I was a little chicken to get crazy and try 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies, since I am still a little green at this. My bike I have to basically compress the front suspension and then really get in the throttle to raise the front end, a real pain if you mistime it or are going too fast.

My questions are these: this upgrade is right at $1000 if you splurge and get the pumper carb from B&B. Does it make sense to drop that into a (I paid $2400)$2400 bike or should I just buy a 350-650cc bike and sell mine to make up the difference?

I like my bike, but I dont really know anything different. Honestly, I think I would love any bike at this point. Another point, for $1000, I could probably buy a decent 2 stroke to play in the woods with, and then keep the 250 for DS jaunts.

For that matter, I am already finding the desire to own a larger more roadworthy steed, that I can put down some miles with (versys, strom, monster, I dunno)

What a quandry. Anyone else want to chime in here?

SilverBullet
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Well you said you still like your bike so sounds to me just keep riding it for now. Once you're bored, not happy with it or otherwsie need more grunt you won't have to ask here you'll just go out an buy a new bike or upgrade. Keep in mind any new ds bike with significant more power will also add more weight. That is unless you go the plated dirt bike route. For that your riding mix will tell you which direction your ds compromises should lean to. Also seat height on other bikes might cause you to spend some extra money.

I suggest you try to test ride a 400, 450, 650 sized bike now while the ride on Alex's bike is fresh in your mind. That will make the $1,000 upgrade decision more clear for you in the future.

_

Alex4218
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks

Well, the bike definitely changed after making it a 351. Power was complexly a huge plus. I remember the break in period, the bike felt like a stallion wanting to be opened up. The bike can be ridden on the interstate with comfort, safety and stability now.

However, the first issue I noticed since making it a 351 was the starting from an electrical perspective. Seems like depending on where the stroke of piston was, it would cause the battery (stock battery) not to have enough juice to start and caused the Odometer Trip Meter and Clock to reset. In December of last year, I bought a Shorai Battery. This battery really rocked. But cold weather starts taxed the battery and eventually would drain the battery as well and I had the same Odometer reset issues as before. Just like week I fried the Shorai Battery, seems if battery is completely drained, it is not a good idea to put a charge on it.

I sent an email to Bill Blue about this issue a year ago and he stated he had never heard of a KLX having the issues I was having with his 351 kit.

I also have the Mikuni Pumper Carb, which works well too. First time I rode with the carb on, I was pulling wheelies without doing anything. Warning -Throttle response is immediate compared the stock CV carb. However after having the carb for a year, seems it gets dirty easier than the stock carb. Perhaps it is due to the smaller jets and more of them.

Overall, I love my bike and it is definitely unique. If you go 351, prepare yourself for immediate smiles with the performances. But also prepare for some headaches due to some unique issues for a unique bike.

Multisurface Rider
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, the bike definitely changed after making it a 351. Power was complexly a huge plus. I remember the break in period, the bike felt like a stallion wanting to be opened up. The bike can be ridden on the interstate with comfort, safety and stability now.

However, the first issue I noticed since making it a 351 was the starting from an electrical perspective. Seems like depending on where the stroke of piston was, it would cause the battery (stock battery) not to have enough juice to start and caused the Odometer Trip Meter and Clock to reset. In December of last year, I bought a Shorai Battery. This battery really rocked. But cold weather starts taxed the battery and eventually would drain the battery as well and I had the same Odometer reset issues as before. Just like week I fried the Shorai Battery, seems if battery is completely drained, it is not a good idea to put a charge on it.

I sent an email to Bill Blue about this issue a year ago and he stated he had never heard of a KLX having the issues I was having with his 351 kit.

I also have the Mikuni Pumper Carb, which works well too. First time I rode with the carb on, I was pulling wheelies without doing anything. Warning -Throttle response is immediate compared the stock CV carb. However after having the carb for a year, seems it gets dirty easier than the stock carb. Perhaps it is due to the smaller jets and more of them.

Overall, I love my bike and it is definitely unique. If you go 351, prepare yourself for immediate smiles with the performances. But also prepare for some headaches due to some unique issues for a unique bike.

Great info on a great bike. Thanks

Hellwig
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Good write up Alex.

Since riding with you a bit, and seeing some of your unique issues, I have thought about it a bit. I am only throwing in my 2cents here, but FWIW, I do not think your electrical issue is 351 kit related, I may be wrong. I think you have some electrical problems for sure but I am just about willing to bet they are due to shorting, bad ground or something else.

I am skeptical of the pumper being more susceptible to gumming than any other as well. This crapanol gas we have now is probably more to blame than anything with that facet of your woes. I hear startron additive is good for storage, seafoam and I guess the Berrymans or some other fuel additive may improve longevity with gunkiness in the veins of your Mikuni.

Yall have fun at the beach tamale!

kojack06
03-13-2012, 06:41 AM
I bent my LP and bracket at BB last week. What rear fender set-ups and turn signals are folks running?

SwampFox
03-13-2012, 06:51 AM
...This crapanol gas we have now is probably more to blame than anything with that facet of your woes....

I took a short ride on mostly parish/county oil-top/gravel roads last weekend, stopping for gas at the C-store in Grand Cane and, behold, no ethanol gas. After riding about 20 minutes, my idle speed had crept up to 3,000 rpms.
Coincidence??

Alex4218
03-13-2012, 07:22 AM
I bent my LP and bracket at BB last week. What rear fender set-ups and turn signals are folks running?

I took off my stock fender and LP holder back when in 09. As a matter of fact that was the very first mod I did to my bike. I put on the Edge Tail Light. Its an LED light. I also got the DRC Edge Taillight Controller, which allows you to program your brake light pattern pulses and program blinker patterns. I removed my stock blinkers.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/images/products/3wcYtH8AAAEAABeGmkMAAAAE-11803.jpg

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/images/products/3T8mrX8AAAEAAGEtRN4AAAAB-09994.jpg

At night the light works well, but I have been informed by some other riders the light is difficult to see during the day, especially the blinkers. So on main roads I still use hand signals. But I never ripped of the LP during hard rides like I have some people due with the stock fenders.

Only LP issues with this set up is:
1. Texas LPs are wider than the Edge bracket, so I had to drill a hole in the plate to match up holes.
2. Vibration for LP increased and began to crack, so I found some rubber gasket material and inserted that in between the Edge bracket and LP and remounted it. Works well now.

Hellwig
03-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, a mild left side drop in the woods a few weeks ago rendered my change drum holder (aka shift star) minus one of the pins that the shift lever engages to change gears - which renders the klx inoperable(gearless). I had read some time back on the kawi forums about that being a weakness in the 09 KLX, so I figured that was the problem. After a 4 mile tow from a buddy back to the truck (thank goodness I drove the truck) and getting bike home, I tore into her and sure enough the only damage was the change drum holder(KAWI # 13901-1856) missing a tooth. I ordered the part and received it today (12 days later) along with a new gasket and shifter shaft seal since i was in there. Topped her off with fresh oil, and installed a new 13 tooth front sprocket in place of the stock 14.
Went out in the back yard for a spin and I could tell the bike was a little peppier but best of all was the easier smoother shifting! Well that and no leaks etc.. from my repair. The replacement part is actually an older design from the pre 09 KLX and some older KLX 650s.
I figured since I hadn't run across a post mentioning it here on TW, I would share with yall in case you hadn't heard about it before. Also worth mentioning is the fact that this part is not kept in stock at any of about 30 Kawi dealers in Texas and LA that I called, and I was told no dealers stocked it. This also equated to no after market resellers having it either, although they list them on their sites - they all had to order from a Kawi dealer, mark it up and then ship to me, thus the two week wait.
I incorrectly assumed since I had heard of the problem being relatively common with this bike, that it would be easier to obtain. FAIL!
Anyway, went for a quick ride this evening (about 80 miles) and all is well with the world again. I was even a little surprised at being able to clutch the front end up with relative ease. Of course, my rpms are up probably 5-6000 minimum and at 75 mph indicated I am running 8500 rpms or so. If I run closer to 80mph indicated the headshake begins to become pretty noticeable and faster than that, pretty squirrely. Anyone else see the same results in the top end performance with a 13t front? Oh, and I also hit my rev limiter in around fourth gear the first time I opened her up on the highway, which was a first for me, I assume because it was at redline.
All in all, I guess its a decent trade for more low end. I have read where a few people have reported running a 13 front and as large as a 45 or 49 rear sprocket (14/42 stock) for serious grunt work, but I am not sure I want to give up 1st and 6th gear just to pop up the front end that easily.

Alex4218
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Rman, lets hit the SHNF with your KDX!!

Rman of 237
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Rman, lets hit the SHNF with your KDX!!Hey, when did you get the KDX? I don't remember you getting one. Or maybe I forgot.:doh:

Heck yeah lets ride, maybe we can organize a KDX/KLX :mrgreen: day at the Sam. My next 2 weekends are full (SuperCross :rider: then work :argh:) but mid April's good.:flip:

kojack06
03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
If my new "Seat Concepts" seat comes today, my KLX should be in the Hill Country tomorrow for 2 days of action!

kojack06
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
If my new "Seat Concepts" seat comes today, my KLX should be in the Hill Country tomorrow for 2 days of action!

My seat came. Quality appears to be very good. Am anxious to install and test tomorrow.

SwampFox
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM
My seat came. Quality appears to be very good. Am anxious to install and test tomorrow.

:popcorn:

Alex4218
03-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey, when did you get the KDX? I don't remember you getting one. Or maybe I forgot.:doh:

Heck yeah lets ride, maybe we can organize a KDX/KLX :mrgreen: day at the Sam. My next 2 weekends are full (SuperCross :rider: then work :argh:) but mid April's good.:flip:

April will be a pretty busy month for me. I'll have to let you know. But I am riding up there this friday. :rider:

SwampFox
04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
I installed a new fork seal in the right fork of my 2007 model yesterday without much issue.

kojack06: How's the Seats Concepts seat?

kojack06
04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Forgot to update! Its a great seat! They put it on my existing seatpan for abot 180.00. The seat feels like the Sargent on my DR albeit that its physically smaller. Rode 150 miles one day without any issues UNLIKE the stock seat last month riding from Terlingua to Pinto Canyon. The seat is also all black whic I believe looks sharper.

IvanFZ1
04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Really bummed out. After a 600 mile two day ride at the Texas Adventure Challenge, and within a quarter mile from the finish something in the bottom end broke ( rod bearing ? ) and tore a small hole in the case. Oil level was fine, don't have a clue as to what caused it. Pulling the engine tomorrow and taking it to a friends shop for rebuild. Less than 6K on the odometer.

Smiley
04-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Really bummed out. After a 600 mile two day ride at the Texas Adventure Challenge, and within a quarter mile from the finish something in the bottom end broke ( rod bearing ? ) and tore a small hole in the case. Oil level was fine, don't have a clue as to what caused it. Pulling the engine tomorrow and taking it to a friends shop for rebuild. Less than 6K on the odometer.

Sorry to hear that, Ivan. I am very interested in what happened. Keep us posted.

Alex4218
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM

What year is your KLX? Sorry to hear about what happened.

IvanFZ1
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
What year is your KLX? Sorry to hear about what happened.

It's an 09, bought new in May 2010. Engine sitting on the garage floor, going to the shop on Tuesday.

SwampFox
04-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Drats!!! It's quite rare to hear of catastrophic engine failures with KLX's.

Alex4218
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
It's an 09, bought new in May 2010. Engine sitting on the garage floor, going to the shop on Tuesday.

Hmmmm, I own a 2009 which I bought new in August 09. I wonder if this is a common occurrence in 09 KLX's.

Smiley
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm, I own a 2009 which I bought new in August 09. I wonder if this is a common occurrence in 09 KLX's.

Alex, It looks like you have done the big bore kit on yours. I hope the reliability was not compromised with that upgrade! I have not heard of any problems with these motors. I only have about 2K miles on my '09 but have run it pretty hard. I agree, I hope this is an isolated incident. Sorry it happened to Ivan!

GaryHarris
04-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Never heard of it.

Alex4218
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Never heard of it.

Never heard of the 2009 KLX?? Why it's the bike that made the Kaysel Run on 5 par-secs. Only a few men and women can handle it. :rofl:

IvanFZ1
05-01-2012, 11:04 PM

I doubt it, or we'd have heard about it by now. I think it's probably an isolated defect, i'll let you guys know what broke as soon as it's torn down. I'm not one to buy extended warranties on anything, but i wish i'd have made an exception on this buy. We all know what they say about hindsight.

GaryHarris
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Never heard of the 2009 KLX?? Why it's the bike that made the Kaysel Run on 5 par-secs. Only a few men and women can handle it. :rofl:

:rofl::lol2:

IvanFZ1
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Got a call from the mechanic working on my engine Friday. Went to see him on Saturday and he showed me what had gone wrong. The right side counter balancer bearing had completely disintegrated and scattered metal all through the engine. Lots of damage, to include the piston and cylinder, r/s case, oil pump, balancer and a few other parts. Not sure what i'm going to do now.

Alex4218
05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Got a call from the mechanic working on my engine Friday. Went to see him on Saturday and he showed me what had gone wrong. The right side counter balancer bearing had completely disintegrated and scattered metal all through the engine. Lots of damage, to include the piston and cylinder, r/s case, oil pump, balancer and a few other parts. Not sure what i'm going to do now.

Was it said what caused this to happen? I'm wondering if this is common for 09 klx250s.

SilverBullet
05-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Sorry to hear that.
Sounds like the most cost effective will be to look for a donor engine and swap it out. With what you listed above it will be well over $1,000 for a repair.

_

IvanFZ1
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Was it said what caused this to happen? I'm wondering if this is common for 09 klx250s.

No obvious cause, that we can determine. Hopefully not something common to all.

kojack06
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
What about warranty, etc?

IvanFZ1
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear that.
Sounds like the most cost effective will be to look for a donor engine and swap it out. With what you listed above it will be well over $1,000 for a repair.

_
You're right, probably would be the smartest way to go. Only problem is theres only two engines available on E-bay, one with oil pump failure and subsequent damage to the top end and maybe other parts. The other is a good engine off a wrecked SM, but they want 1800.00 for it.

I'm going with my mechanics advice. Flush it real well, repair the case, recoat the cylinder and replace the piston, oil pump, balancer and main bearings.

I'll probably trade it in, as i'm really disappointed and no longer have confidence in it's reliability

SilverBullet
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
$1,800!! Well tighten that lefty loosey. You could practically buy a complete bike for that.

What years of engines will drop right in for you? Motard model is same engine? I'll do some searching. How much is your mechanic's repair estimate?

_

IvanFZ1
05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
$1,800!! Well tighten that lefty loosey. You could practically buy a complete bike for that.

What years of engines will drop right in for you? Motard model is same engine? I'll do some searching. How much is your mechanic's repair estimate?

_

The SM motor is exactly the same, not sure which model year motors will drop right in. I've given my mechanic the go ahead to rebuild it, i trust this guy so i told him to replace any parts that he would replace if the bike was his, i'll find out soon what the cost will be. Thanks for the offer to help, i appreciate it.

IvanFZ1
05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
What about warranty, etc?

I've had the bike for two years, so no warranty. It's hard enough to get those guys to do anything for you, even when you're within the warranty period.

cruiser99
05-17-2012, 10:43 AM
You should buy this for $1,500 and you get the sm wheels. It's in Houston.
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/parting-out-2006-d-tracker-37938/

I think he posted on this site in the past. The engine should be the same.

SilverBullet
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
You should buy this for $1,500 and you get the sm wheels. It's in Houston.
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/parting-out-2006-d-tracker-37938/

I think he posted on this site in the past. The engine should be the same.

That is one bike I was going to point him towards before he advised the repairs had already been started. I test rode that bike last month, it runs great and is very clean. $800 for a complete running engine is a decent price also. I was thinking about buying it for my son but TXDOT wouldn't give him the original Japan title back so I had to pass.

_

danimal
05-18-2012, 11:29 PM

My condolences, Ivan....:tears:

IvanFZ1
05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
That is one bike I was going to point him towards before he advised the repairs had already been started. I test rode that bike last month, it runs great and is very clean. $800 for a complete running engine is a decent price also. I was thinking about buying it for my son but TXDOT wouldn't give him the original Japan title back so I had to pass.

_

Theres still time, mechanic's been overloaded and hasn't started yet. Told him to hold off until i could look into this. Sent a PM and hope to hear from the seller tomorrow. Still not sure if the 06 engine will drop into the 09. anyone know?

SilverBullet
05-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Theres still time, mechanic's been overloaded and hasn't started yet. Told him to hold off until i could look into this. Sent a PM and hope to hear from the seller tomorrow. Still not sure if the 06 engine will drop into the 09. anyone know?

I believe the seller might know as he is very knowledgeable about the bike. He definitely knew about the interchangeability of the frame as that was one option I was thinking of to title the bike.

His TWT thread
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71249&highlight=d-tracker

_

cruiser99
05-19-2012, 09:06 AM
On that forum they were debating about the D-tracker's 29 hp specs. I wonder if that is true, since most of the KLX250's I have seen online show 18hp - 20hp on the dyno. That 2006 model has a carb, and the newer D-tracker's have FI.

SilverBullet
05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
On that forum they were debating about the D-tracker's 29 hp specs. I wonder if that is true, since most of the KLX250's I have seen online show 18hp - 20hp on the dyno. That 2006 model has a carb, and the newer D-tracker's have FI.

Probably 29 hp at the crank. Hp is listed that way in some countries. Here in the US it is spec'd backwheel hp (bhp) but usually listed as hp only. 29 hp at the crank would be approx 20 hp at the backwheel. I rode this bike and it runs great but no way it has 29 bhp.

_

Hellwig
05-25-2012, 08:03 AM
the klx continues to be a reliable bike despite a few isolated incidents posted as of late. It has been reported to be able to withstand multiple drops, incessant flogging as well as long distance summer touring with minimal although necessary routine maintenance.

I heard a rumor that two recently completed a 3 day 1000 mile trek across back roads of texas. A route suppposedly so diverse, it began on the shores of Bolivar Peninsula, continued through pine forests of east texas, twisty mountainous (ok, hilly) regions of central texas ,the brazos river basin and back again. A route so challenging not even a klr, a husky nor even a fearsome ktm dare attempt it.

Its probably been done before, but I had never heard of it.

More to follow...

iridered2003
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
the klx continues to be a reliable bike despite a few isolated incidents posted as of late. It has been reported to be able to withstand multiple drops, incessant flogging as well as long distance summer touring with minimal although necessary routine maintenance.

I heard a rumor that two recently completed a 3 day 1000 mile trek across back roads of texas. A route suppposedly so diverse, it began on the shores of Bolivar Peninsula, continued through pine forests of east texas, twisty mountainous (ok, hilly) regions of central texas ,the brazos river basin and back again. A route so challenging not even a klr, a husky nor even a fearsome ktm dare attempt it.

More to follow...yea, but them BRP's will kick the crap out of the routes:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SilverBullet
05-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I heard a rumor that two recently completed a 3 day 1000 mile trek across back roads of texas. ... A route so challenging not even a klr, a husky nor even a fearsome ktm dare attempt it.

Sounds like a good single day ride for the Husky. What did you guys do the remaining two days? haha

_

Rman of 237
05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
yea, but them BRP's will kick the crap out of the routes:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol2: :lol2:

OLDERMXER
05-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Still not sure if the 06 engine will drop into the 09. anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Call Wild West Honda in Houston, Tx. & talk to parts legend Joe. I had a similar issue replacing a 08 KXF with a 06 engine. Joe was able to tell me. Pretty much if the frames are the same the engine will drop in.

cruiser99
05-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a good single day ride for the Husky. What did you guys do the remaining two days? haha

_

You must be a good roadside mechanic in order to change the oil 3 times and rebuild the top end on that husky in a day.:mrgreen:

SilverBullet
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
You must be a good roadside mechanic in order to change the oil 3 times and rebuild the top end on that husky in a day.:mrgreen:

borrowing from the old Oldsmobile commercial "this ain't your Fathers' Husqvarna" haha

3,000 mile oil change intervals
zero wrenching, zero repairs in 10,500 miles.
bike has been over on its side plenty and survived all my inflicted abuse without any damage or broken parts also.
doesn't get much better than that.

_

IndyRC
05-25-2012, 10:46 PM
borrowing from the old Oldsmobile commercial "this ain't your Fathers' Husqvarna" haha

3,000 mile oil change intervals
zero wrenching, zero repairs in 10,500 miles.
bike has been over on its side plenty and survived all my inflicted abuse without any damage or broken parts also.
doesn't get much better than that.

_

Man that day we were on the trails by me I kept wishing I was on something a little smaller than my 426, then I'd look back and see you on that big Husky and think better you than me lol

Alex4218
05-26-2012, 09:00 AM

More to follow...

I heard about these guys doing this 1000 mile Texas Trek. I heard these guys were members of an elite unit that will always display elements of Espirit de Corps. It doesn't surprise to me to hear these guys could undertake such an adventure. I hope to meet them someday.

Hellwig
05-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Er sprach von den Teufelshunden?

SilverBullet
05-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Er sprach von den Teufelshunden?

woof! woof!
where's the ride report doggies? no photos didn't happen, haha

_

Hellwig
06-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Oh, ok here goes:
THE PLANNING
It started out as the woodpecker loop and was painstakingly researched by someone with an awful lot of time on their hands. The route, later re-named the dead end loop because of all the closed private roads that had to be routed around etc.. If any of you have done much dual sporting in Texas then you understand. Anyway, I dont know how long this guy worked on this route but it was broken into three separate pieces for the sake of testing to work out as many of the kinks as possible(yeah right!) All in all, guessed to be around 700 miles long.

Different segments partially tested by a few different members on this forum and at different times, over the course of at least 6 months, probably longer. It seemed like forever. Originally there were supposed to be at least four or more riders for this journey, but in the end, I was the only sucker, EXCEPT FOR LEFTY, that didn't drop out. (The rest of you know who you are!)

THE RIDE- Day One
We had 3 days to conquer this beast in its entirety. The Klx's cranked right up and purred their approval as we saddled them with more junk than we probably needed. Yes Dork, you can see the saddlebags in the pics and I abused those bad boys, believe me.
Stands up at 7am on the beach at Bolivar for a quick breakfast in High Island at the little cafe by the exxon, which turned into granola bars, when we found the place closed on that gorgeous Tuesday morning.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22467&stc=1&d=1338619777

With stomachs growling, it was down the beach to Sabine Pass for a great start, then wound North through Beaumont (with a pass through Waffle House), to Moscow to visit an old historic site: Fort Teran on the bank of the Neches in Tyler county.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22468&stc=1&d=1338620102

There wasnt much to see, but the old dirt road there was rough (license plate bracket finally gave out, so in the saddle bag the flimsy thing went) and fun, and the fort marker is on top of a high ridge far above the Neches river with a pretty view. It was a steep walk to the river and back. Good thing the old guy and the master tool stayed home! It might have winded those two.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22470&stc=1&d=1338620102

Gassed up again in Chester and peeled off through Camden, skirting Livingston around the lake and Onalaska. Pretty scenery but no pics! Encountered our first closed road that was actually open. Somewhere on the western side of Lake Livingson, we got caught in a bit of a rainshower and rode soaked all the way to New Waverly where we caught Linner at the Waverly House. Decent food by the way, with a sweetheart of a waitress that even made us a fresh pot of coffee, which we finished because we were freezing. In the spirit of TWT'ers everywhere, I felt it necessary to sample the coconut cream pie and it was pretty satisfying, I must say.

Resisting the urge to tell Alex to take a flying leap when he suggested we continue on to College Station, we climbed back into our wet gear and rolled on.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22471&stc=1&d=1338620407

Soon, the wet dried up and darkness fell and we found ourselves in College Station for a few cold ones and a decent motel room. Good thing, cause my backside was beginning to disagree with the KLX seat after this 380 mile day.
Good ride so far, I hope I didn't disappoint with the report, and I will continue when I have time.....

Rman of 237
06-02-2012, 06:43 AM
:clap: :clap: ^^^^ :popcorn:

Hellwig
06-05-2012, 03:07 AM
An early wake up was planned and disregarded. After a field expedient license plate reattachment in the parking lot we were off to find rations at the local ihop for steak and eggs, pancakes, and coffee. After refueling, it was stands up around 11 am.22502

Shot out of town taking the back roads as possible toward Coupland with a lot of pretty farmland scenery along the way and maybe a couple turn arounds- dang google maps and gps never could quite sync up, resulting in a lot of roadside route deliberation while I blissfully shot pics from the shade when I could find it. I never could quite figure out why Alex refused to stop in the shade for these.22505

This was our worst enemy! (barbed wire, not the tractor!)

From Coupland, North into Hutto. (what is the deal with the cast concrete hippo’s everywhere in Hutto anyway?) The landscape was beginning to change into those slow rolling hills here and there. Dirt roads with as few asphalt highways as possible were the goal here, and the flight leader did a great job picking this route. (As an aside, this route was in planning stages since January 2011)22503

Hellwig
06-05-2012, 03:20 AM
We meandered on around the outskirts of Georgetown
Alex stopped in the sun again, what gives?
and on toward the Balconnes Canyonlands National Wildlife refuge. The hills were becoming more and more prolific, complete with twisties and more turn arounds.

We even found water.

Pretty area, landscape a little like a miniature Big Bend, except I never saw water in Big Bend Ranch or as much green.

After a break, we wound our way through the park and onward toward Marble Falls. Enroute we passed the Hidden Falls Adventure Park, I have seen mentioned here on TWT.

Hellwig
06-05-2012, 03:23 AM
We found Marble Falls and a crash pad for the night. I found the beers and the ice cold swimming pool. The smell of charred beef lured us into Docs Fish Camp and Grill for steaks which were decent.

The ride time today was rather short but the scenery and riding was top notch, riding only 180 miles and about 7 hours from CS with plenty of stops. A nice leisurely pace compared to the previous day.
More later…

Alex4218
07-18-2012, 01:41 AM
It seems the KLX is a dying breed. :giveup:

SilverBullet
07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Rode last weekend with bikedork and our trainees. His gf was riding his KLX250 and did very well considering the wet and muddy conditions. My son was riding my KDX200 for the first time and did ok until that 2 ft. diameter tree jumped into the trail and body slammed him, haha

After the trainees were finished for the day me and a KTM250 rider (Prothos) ripped around on our two smokes a little at a faster pace.

So Alex both your bikes were represented, too bad you couldn't make it. Make this rain stop so SHNF trails will open again.

_

Andrew T
07-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Could a mod change this from "Kawaski" to "Kawasaki"? Thx!

Hellwig
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Aw, c'mon Alex I haven't given up on the old girl yet. As a matter of fact, the klx is the only one up and running at the moment, not that i have had time or weather conditions to permit riding much lately. We need to get in some training before October. We've got a lot of ground to cover for that week. Oh yeah, i forgot you wont be there for a week. Anyway lets ride.

As far as the Kawaski in the thread title, for all the time I have spent reading and posting here, I never noticed that it was mis-spelled. Hmm, when we riding?

XR-HIPPIE
07-19-2012, 03:54 PM

..........:duck:.........

XR-HIPPIE
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Could a mod change this from "Kawaski" to "Kawasaki"? Thx!

MAYBE GARY drank to much (SAKI)

NOW that's FUNNY....:haha::lol2::rofl:

..........:nana:...........

GaryHarris
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Dang, I never noticed the misspelling. :doh:

Rman of 237
09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Page 2??!! Who let this thread get to page 2????:eek2: Regardless :giveup: :doh:, I've done several 'how to's on Hancock's XR thread so being a chronic insomniac with absolutely nothing else do right now I figured I'd bump this thread to the top by posting some how to pics. :photo:
Now most of you know by now that the KLX and the KDX are very similar in many aspects, for example they're both green:mrgreen: and they both share the basic subframe. That behind us now I'll give a little background here. This is the 2nd KDX that I've owned, my 1st was a '94 which I rode for many years and recently sold. My 'new' KDX 220 I bought from another member here and to be quite honest it's the 1st bike I've ever owned that I really didn't have to spend a dime on.:trust: Good buy!:clap: BUT :moon: since it's plated I wanted it to have a rack and extended fuel mileage so this is how to mount a KLX Happy Trails rack and a Kolpin 1.5 gal tank on a KDX.

For the life of me I couldn't find a pic of the KLX Happy Trails rack actually mounted on a KDX so I bit the bullet and just jumped in.:eek2: Now yes, the subframe is similar but it's not as similar as some folks say it is....(even the kind lady at Happy Trails claimed it was a bolt on, it's not!:argh:)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1470Copy.jpg

I was pulling my hair out here trying to understand how to get this thing mounted, nothing worked, nothing fit, but it was real close:trust:. Had to drill holes in the cross support(or whatever you call that cross member thing) but luckily there's plenty of metal to work with, tolerance wise. Happy Trails could easily mod this rack to specifically fit the KDX without any major retooling of the jig if they were so inclined.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1471Copy.jpg

Cool sunset by the way....:sun:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1474Copy.jpg

Had to take a razor knife and notch the fender....

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1476Copy.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1477Copy.jpg

There was no other way to do it!:scratch: I cut too much plastic but it was hard to gauge where to cut, you have to eyeball it from 8in away and hope for the best when you fit it all together. It's harder than it looks so if anyone want's me to give the measurements BEFORE you start cutting on the fender I'll be glad to do it. ;-)

Now on to the tank. My neighbor had a piece of aluminum laying around so I nabbed it and marked it off.. Used the Sawzall and the grinder to make a circle. Note "Never use a grinding wheel to grind aluminum!" That's what they taught us in school so do as they say, not as I do! :mrgreen:....:brainsnap

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1478Copy.jpg

Made sure it would fit.....

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1479Copy.jpg

Used the mount as a template, drilled the holes..

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1480Copy.jpg

Roughed it up heavily with the wire wheel, cleaned and painted with Rusto flat black..

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1481Copy.jpg

Baked it in artificial sunshine for a few hours.:sun:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1487Copy.jpg

The Wolfman tail bag still fits under the rack.:clap:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1482Copy.jpg

And there you have it, a Happy Trails rack for a KLX and a Kolpin 1.5gal tank installed on a KDX! :trust:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1488Copy.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1489Copy.jpg

Agman
09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Good to see you working out in your shop, Rman, and great photos, too.

Rman of 237
09-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Good to see you working out in your shop, Rman, and great photos, too.Thx but gee,:scratch: no one owns a KLX anymore?? :-(

Hellwig
09-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Still got one for now.

RollingJ
09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
That thing is going to handle like one of your red bikes now that you put all that weight up high...

This may be the most telling photo I have seen of your living arrangements...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/Rman237/Bike%20Pics/KDX%20220/CIMG1487Copy.jpg

You have to close that door or your RZ might get destroyed again... Raised in a barn and all...

TwoSmokeDS
09-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a plated KDX too! But no rack. Just using a 3.5 gallon tank. An extra 2 gallon auxillary tank would be very nice.

Go KDX!

You know about the rumors of the stock 220 piston grenading the engine, right? I didn't want to take any chances. I put in a Wisco piston and replated the cylinder. But my KDX was a real piece of lemon when I bought it.

What jet size are you running?

Rman of 237
09-14-2012, 05:38 AM
You have to close that door or your RZ might get destroyed again... Raised in a barn and all...A few months ago my brother left the door open and one of the cattle got in there and $hit all over the floor. :miffed::angryfire Had to leave it there a week to dry so it would be easier to clean up. :argh: :rofl: Luckily no bikes were knocked over that time and the RZ was spared.:zen:

Rman of 237
09-14-2012, 06:06 AM
I have a plated KDX too! But no rack. Just using a 3.5 gallon tank. An extra 2 gallon auxillary tank would be very nice.

Go KDX!

You know about the rumors of the stock 220 piston grenading the engine, right? I didn't want to take any chances. I put in a Wisco piston and replated the cylinder. But my KDX was a real piece of lemon when I bought it.

What jet size are you running?Don't get me ta lyin', I've pulled the carb once since I've owned it for a general cleaning but didn't note the jet sizes. Again I bought the bike completely tricked out from airbox to exhaust (Uni, Boyesen, full FMF) and it runs great so I'm pretty sure the jets aren't stock. Mind you, it hauls :moon:, it'll give the 440 a run for the $$.:eek2: My nephew's KDX has the 250 overbore kit so I guess that's in the future for mine as well. I wish I would leave well enough alone, it's a sickness I tell you, nothing I own is stock! :lol2: :doh:

SilverBullet
09-14-2012, 08:13 AM
As far as the Kawaski in the thread title, for all the time I have spent reading and posting here, I never noticed that it was mis-spelled. Hmm, when we riding?

I thought this thread was for the special "Made in Poland" bikes. Sound out the name as it's spelled above and you get Ka-was-ki, sounds very Polish to me. hahaha

_

Hellwig
09-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I thought this thread was for the special "Made in Poland" bikes. Sound out the name as it's spelled above and you get Ka-was-ki, sounds very Polish to me. hahaha

_

Its a wonder any of us ever even opened this thread! What were we thinking?

SwampFox
10-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Well, a poor decision on a detour today resulted in a low speed front slide that tweaked the left side of my handlebar on my 2006 KLX about 3/4". :flip: Can I bend it back without removing? Or best to order new handlebar? If so,which one? I'm new to changing handlebars. Being a short fellow I like the width of the stock bars, but wouldn't mind small rise.

RollingJ
10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Order a new set of bars and some new grips.

These (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/947/-/15022/Fly-Racing-Aluma-Steel-7-8%2522-Handlebars/handlebars) are inexpensive and pretty good.

I like ODI Lock-on Grips because they NEVER slip when wet, but I don't see them listed for the KLX250 (they come molded to a new throttle tube).

diontx
10-06-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/210/4945/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Handlebars-Fly-Racing-1010-Carbon-Steel-7-8-Standard-Handlebars.aspx

Heres another inexpensive handlebar

cruiser99
10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I finally did the first mod on my KLX250SF. I changed the front sprocket to a 13 tooth made by Sunstar. I bought an impact wrench and it made the whole process much easier. The nut on the front sprocket wouldn't budge with a breaker bar since the rear tire would spin even with the brake on and all my weight on the bike. I like the quicker acceleration with the 13t sprocket, and I turn about 500 more rpms in any gear. I was thinking about jetting the carb next but I have no experience with it.

SwampFox
10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, I ended up ordering a set of Pro Taper 7/8" CR Mid handlebars and finished the installation today. They are 1-1/2" wider than the bent stock bars (that had been cut a little to install the barkbusters). The new bars seemed OK on a brief test ride around the neighborhood and local parking lot. The mirrors sure seem wide now tho. It took some fiddling to get the Maier handguards to mount OK -- likely still not finished with that.

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=4618

TwoSmokeDS
10-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Can someone educate me on why the current 2012 KLX250 lost 2" of suspension travel, but the seat height remains at 35"? I am looking the the Kawasaki specs, and am puzzled.

bikedork
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, I ended up ordering a set of Pro Taper 7/8" CR Mid handlebars and finished the installation today. They are 1-1/2" wider than the bent stock bars (that had been cut a little to install the barkbusters). The new bars seemed OK on a brief test ride around the neighborhood and local parking lot. The mirrors sure seem wide now tho. It took some fiddling to get the Maier handguards to mount OK -- likely still not finished with that.

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=4618

you know you can trim any bars down...i use a pipe cutter makes it very easy and a good clean straight cut. you can get em at any home depot or harbor freight cheap. mind you, the closer your hands the quicker the steering and less leverage. important to know when the roots and rocks grab your front wheel.

SwampFox
11-05-2012, 07:06 AM
you know you can trim any bars down...i use a pipe cutter makes it very easy and a good clean straight cut. you can get em at any home depot or harbor freight cheap. mind you, the closer your hands the quicker the steering and less leverage. important to know when the roots and rocks grab your front wheel.

Just finished the first ride with the new bars, riding along with Kevlar Ryder John to the Hot Springs [AR] Ramble, including ~80 miles of forest/dirt roads roads, ~150 miles of county blacktop roads and ~320 miles of small state highways. It took a little time to adapt to the new bars on the state highways, but, just as bikedork sez, were better once on the forest roads. In hindsight, I would have preferred the CR Hi Bend, but OK as is. I will try to post a few after-the-ride pics later.

kojack06
11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I like the cr. Hi bars with risers on my klx

kojack06
11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Im getting ready to use Moto-Pro for my suspension. Any.reviews on the company?

kojack06
11-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Im trying to keep this thread going for us klx riders.
Just shipped forks and shock off to Moto-Pro for springs,rebuild and mods.
They should be back in two weeks.

Alex4218
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Im trying to keep this thread going for us klx riders.
Just shipped forks and shock off to Moto-Pro for springs,rebuild and mods.
They should be back in two weeks.

I'm interested in how this works out for you.

cruiser99
11-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a FMF powercore 4 exhaust coming in next week. I ordered the quiet insert for it. I also ordered a #138 main jet from the Kawasaki dealer. For now I will stay with with the stock #35 pilot. My kouba screw should also be here soon. I had to order two so if someone wants to buy the other one let me know ($20 plus shipping).

kojack06
11-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Should I get the long or short Seal Savers for the inverted forks?

Im also getting did of the under fender on my 07. What tail light and signals are members using?

TNC
11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Should I get the long or short Seal Savers for the inverted forks?

Im also getting did of the under fender on my 07. What tail light and signals are members using?
So, you're finally going to make the suspension work on that poor bike, eh?:mrgreen:

Several of the guys on the KLX forum have done the Moto Pro deal as well as Race Tech for the forks. I've even done the Race Tech Gold Valve mod on the rear shock. With either the bike transforms for off road use. I don't see how people ride the stock fork on any reasonably gnarly off road without the revalving. I've taken some pretty good trips in CO and UT with some of the regulars all riding their KTM's and such on some decently gnarly trails. Without the suspension mods, I'd probably still be laying out their dead somewhere.:mrgreen:

I rode with one of the ADV and KLX forum guys last August for several days on some rough routes in CO after the RMAR rally. He had the full Moto Pro mods to his KLX fork, and he loved it. Watching it work while we rode, I'd agree that it appears every bit as good as the Race Tech fork mods I have.

Kojack, I'm heading out to the Big Bend area at the end of this month for more KLX thwacking. You ever go out there?

kojack06
11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
So, you're finally going to make the suspension work on that poor bike, eh?:mrgreen:

Several of the guys on the KLX forum have done the Moto Pro deal as well as Race Tech for the forks. I've even done the Race Tech Gold Valve mod on the rear shock. With either the bike transforms for off road use. I don't see how people ride the stock fork on any reasonably gnarly off road without the revalving. I've taken some pretty good trips in CO and UT with some of the regulars all riding their KTM's and such on some decently gnarly trails. Without the suspension mods, I'd probably still be laying out their dead somewhere.:mrgreen:

I rode with one of the ADV and KLX forum guys last August for several days on some rough routes in CO after the RMAR rally. He had the full Moto Pro mods to his KLX fork, and he loved it. Watching it work while we rode, I'd agree that it appears every bit as good as the Race Tech fork mods I have.

Kojack, I'm heading out to the Big Bend area at the end of this month for more KLX thwacking. You ever go out there?

We just got back from BBSP last Saturday(I returned with a bad cold). Perhaps we can make it back the end of this month also. We are planning on another after Christmas.

kojack06
12-01-2012, 06:15 AM
The reworked forks and shock returned from Moto-Pro last evening. Reassembly today!

cruiser99
12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I installed the FMF Powercore 4 and rejetted the bike last weekend. I also pulled the snorkle. These mods with the 13t sprocket make the bike much more enjoyable. It actually pulls a little in 1st - 3rd. The bike is perfect for the city streets that I mostly ride since none of them are over 45mph. The exhaust is not real loud with the quiet core. I actually prefer it without the quiet core but I rather not piss off the neighbors in the morning. I rode the bike with the exhaust before rejetting and it pulled better in the upper rpms. The jetting just made it better through all the rpms.

inroads
12-13-2012, 08:01 AM
I have a KLX 250 TwoBrothers exhaust w/midpipe and PX1 quiet core insert + SW Motech skidplate for sale. Would like $225 for exhaust(in the box) and $75 for skidplate(no scratches) or $275 for all. Austin area 512-468-2468

KamLeeR
12-22-2012, 09:38 PM
KLX 250 gal here.

Any other folks around Valley Mills on KLX 250s?

Just rejetted, pulled snorkel, and drilled airbox. Already had FMF slipon. Helped a little. Thinking of bigger sprocket and new chain. 09 so cant go down on front sprocket.

KamLeeR
12-22-2012, 09:39 PM
KLX 250 gal here.

Any other folks around Valley Mills on KLX 250s?

Just rejetted, pulled snorkel, and drilled airbox. Already had FMF slipon. Helped a little. Thinking of bigger sprocket and new chain. 09 so cant go down on front sprocket.

Happy Holidays every one!

Hellwig
12-23-2012, 02:43 AM
i have a 13t on my 09 with no problems.

KamLeeR
12-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Well cool!

I was told different. Will look into it.

Thanks for letting me know!

cruiser99
12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
The 13t sprocket made the biggest difference in performance on my KLX250SF. The rear on mine is a 39 tooth whereas your S model I believe is a 42 tooth. It added about 500 rpms at any speed. I suggest an impact wrench to remove the nut because I couldn't get it off with a breaker bar by myself. The hardest part of changing the sprocket was getting the chain off.

Hellwig
12-23-2012, 06:12 PM
yes the rear stock sprocket is 42. I left that stock and had no trouble removing the chain and adding the 13t sprocket. you will however obviously lose top end.

M38A1
02-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm still considering one of these little fellows....

How are they on the highway? Will it do 65mph with a 160lb rider/gear fairly well? I want to try the little bike thing out (KLX250S), but have some concern in that department at the moment.

Alex4218
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM

How are they on the highway? Will it do 65mph with a 160lb rider/gear fairly well? I want to try the little bike thing out (KLX250S), but have some concern in that department at the moment.

On the highway, (not so much interstate) they handle okay. Headwinds and 18 wheelers will get you squirrely from time to time. But grip the tank with your knees and it'll straighten out. It will do 65 no problem, especially if you gear it high in the front, say a 15. I run 14/42.

SwampFox
02-14-2013, 09:14 PM

On the highway, (not so much interstate) they handle okay. Headwinds and 18 wheelers will get you squirrely from time to time. But grip the tank with your knees and it'll straighten out. It will do 65 no problem, especially if you gear it high in the front, say a 15. I run 14/42.

Yep, what Alex said. For comparison: Comfortable extended touring speed with my 13T front sprocket is 61mph by GPS. It will run faster, but fuel economy suffers, which is more an issue with range than MPG. I've found the KLX well suited for riding the 55mph state highways in LA & AR, and have completed a few 300 mile days. The new Seat Concepts seat that Santa brought me will surely help the longer rides.

SwampFox
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
... Comfortable extended touring speed with my 13T front sprocket is 61mph by GPS. It will run faster, but fuel economy suffers, which is more an issue with range than MPG.... The new Seat Concepts seat that Santa brought me will surely help the longer rides.

As for MPG, last Friday Oldtimer & I made an 86 mile highway run from Fairmount to Lillard, running at ~68 mph for ~70 miles. My KLX went to reserve at ~82 miles -- only 'bout 52MPG. Oldtimer's 13T FI CRF250L was only marginally better -- maybe 1/10th gallon less ethanol laced fuel consumed.

And, yes, the Seat Concepts is much more comfortable on extended rides.

kojack06
02-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I added the Clarke 2.7 tank for my 07 from ProCycle. The .7 increase in capacity doesn't seen like much but it takes away the worry.

TwoSmokeDS
02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Is the KLX real buzzy at 60 MPH?