• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawaski KLX 250 thread.

I spent 7 1/2 months building that KDX piece by piece and had a blast doing it and it was as fast as a stripped **** ape, but I didn't like it. Ill keep my KLX and stick to 4 strokes. :clap:

Some more pics of my new rig.
1243646359_PqPja-XL.jpg

1243645926_tLQTX-L.jpg

1243645780_bgRaS-L.jpg

I bought the same one last may. Added skidplate, handguards, softer grips and a rack and i absolutely love this bike. It takes a little work to stay close to the big boys on the hard surface roads, but in the dirt it's great fun. I've decided to leave the motor, gearing, suspension, and exhaust completely stock. It just works for me like it is. Have fun.

My first ride report on the new bike. It sucks, I should of bought a Hodaka. :rofl::mrgreen:

I'm thinking of going over to my U-Haul storage unit where my bike is, and spending the night with it. :scott: I spent 3 hours on it today and am totally in love with it! It took me awhile to get used to since the last bike I rode regularly was a mid 70s 2 stroke MX bike back in the early 80s.

At first the KLX seemed really heavy to me but at only from 0-10mph. After that it seemed to be pretty light and extremely easy to handle at 10 mph and up. But that's just me. I have never ridden a bike with electric start and blinkers before and I found I got used to it pretty quickly. Before the day was over I was trials riding over parking curbs at West Oaks Mall. The security guy in the white truck is probably still looking for me, but he couldn't catch me! :lol2::trust:

Besides some ditch crossings, I haven't done any dirt work yet. I don't trust these stock tires and have some D 606's on the way and will spoon them on before taking on the really dirty stuff. Also ordered some new riding gear including knee and elbo guards.

I've done a day at Marble falls and a couple of DS rides on those stock tires and was pleasantly surprised at how well they performed. My son uses 606's on his DRZ, and where he goes, i follow.

Sup bro?

I was just swapping e mails with my Daughter and am thinking about renting a beach house very soon down at Surfside. Ill PM you when that comes a reality.

This weekend will be spent on adding the farkles and doing the usual thing with new bikes like checking if the front wheel will fall off due to that 19 year old kid that built my bike.:giveup: :eek2:

Next weekend, I'm thinking heading down your way cept a little west and camping out. Duct taping a my rod on the bike and all. :trust:

SLP Saturday?

Saturday, the 23rd. Silver and I were gonna ride to Bastrop taking back roads from Galveston. Join us, we'll help you break in that engine. :rider:

"Didn't like...:brainsnap...it" huh?:scratch: OK, what am I missing here?

Although it was lighter than my KLX, it felt top heavy and handled weird. On tarmac, in the corners, it wanted to right itself and stand up straight. And then there was the noise. :giveup: I don't know if it was the KIPS valve or the pipe near the exhaust, but I hated that rattle sound. Plus it was time for me to get a 4T.

I bought the same one last may. Added skidplate, handguards, softer grips and a rack and i absolutely love this bike. It takes a little work to stay close to the big boys on the hard surface roads, but in the dirt it's great fun. I've decided to leave the motor, gearing, suspension, and exhaust completely stock. It just works for me like it is. Have fun.

Howdy Ivan and thanks. I think it's a great bike also. :clap::rider:

Some of my gear just showed up. Ill start with the loading ramp and some maintenance type stuff.
1252236456_8bvKv-L.jpg

1252236190_ossxk-L.jpg

Gear looks good. I don't go on duty without my ballistic vest and I don't ride without that gear. I am going to look into obtaining of the "dual sport" helmets. I really like wearing goggles and my Shoei off-road helmet when I'm back on the dirt-roads but find that it limits my side vision. My HJC full coverage let's easily look over my shoulder and see behind me on the road. Am going to start on my KLX mods soon(I just dropped 450.00 on maintenance on the pick-up. Anyone else had problems with warped brake rotors on F-150s?). Tires will be first. My recent purchase still has the original Dunlops on it and they have cracked sidewalls so they need replacemnt

Last edited:
Gear looks good. I don't go on duty without my ballistic vest and I don't ride without that gear. I am going to look into obtaining of the "dual sport" helmets. I really like wearing goggles and my Shoei off-road helmet when I'm back on the dirt-roads but find that it limits my side vision. My HJC full coverage let's easily look over my shoulder and see behind me on the road. Am going to start on my KLX mods soon(I just dropped 450.00 on maintenance on the pick-up. Anyone else had problems with warped brake rotors on F-150s?). Tires will be first. My recent purchase still has the original Dunlops on it and they have cracked sidewalls so they need replacemnt

I just noticed your in Temple. One of my first destinations is Inks Lake. I LOVE that lake and the roads around there should be a blast! :rider::trust:

Question about your vest. I have one, but it's more of a roost deflector for MX rather than anything else. At my age I'm worried about collar bone breakage. You recommend the ballistic?

LOL. Sorry, I meant my police balistic vest when I'm patrolling. I do have a ballistic motorcycle vest that I wear for pure off-road. I really like my First Gear air mesh jacket with Klim pants, Moose Racing gnee guards and my Garnier boots for dual sport riding. I like being able to simply unzip the jacket and take off the armor at a restaurant, etc.I can't remember the brand of my motorcycle ballestic vest.

LOL. Sorry, I meant my police balistic vest when I'm patrolling. I do have a ballistic motorcycle vest that I wear for pure off-road. I really like my First Gear air mesh jacket with Klim pants, Moose Racing gnee guards and my Garnier boots for dual sport riding. I like being able to simply unzip the jacket and take off the armor at a restaurant, etc.I can't remember the brand of my motorcycle ballestic vest.
whats a good pair of DS boots that you can wear all day or night and not kill your feet? would like something i can ride in or wear to church

I like this one. It has good reviews and seems to have good shoulder protection.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...Protective+Gear&webCatId=4&prodFamilyId=18776
I've used a similar Fox model for several yrs and have been very pleased with it. I'll have you know this thing is tough!!!!:thumb: It's taken some major punishment from me!!:eek2: :rofl:
There's a couple things I'd like to point out though, the straps that hold the arm guards to the shoulders are elastic and the elastic loses its stretchiness after a while and starts to hang down too far. All I need to do is sew a loop into the straps to shorten them some but I don't really know anything about sewing so I've been kinda putting it off.:roll:

CIMG5269.jpg

I got clothes-lined by a sawed off limb that yanked me off the bike a few yrs ago and broke the plastic clip thingy that attaches the shoulder to the back. I just superglued it back together and it's been like that ever since. I guess you could call this clip a "weak link" but I'm actually glad it broke. If it hadn't I might still be hanging on that limb somewhere.:lol2: You can see how the limb tore up the fabric padding on the shoulder.

CIMG5273.jpg

It's seen it's share of gravel too....:lol2: :doh:

CIMG5275.jpg

I wish I had pics of my old chest protector, that poor thing looked like someone took an axe to it!!:eek2: If anyone's interested I'll tell ya how it saved my life once! No joke!!
Wear 'em, they work!!!

Back