• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawaski KLX 250 thread.

Post some pics boyz! :trust:

Mines red. Got it yesterday.

1243645780_bgRaS-L.jpg

My first pic upload, let's see if this works

gccdt10_1378-1.jpg

This is an example of the maximum amount of stuff you can possibly strap to a KLX250.

Photo Credit: Calgary-Yogi

Well I ordered some stuff for the little red-un. So far I have coming a FMF Q4 pipe, the DJ jet kit, some Pro Taper bars, different grips, Acerbis hand guards, a couple of extra spark plugs and oil filters besides some new riding gear.

One thing I found that need to do is gear down. Any suggestions on that? My bike is a storage unit right and I read that the stock gearing is 13-42 to 14-42. I'm thinking it's 14-42 and I should get a 13t CF sprocket and am open to suggestions. I'm not to worried about going over 65 mph one the highway and would like to be able to idle at a snails pace in able to LUG over a log, whatever! :rider:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just purchased a used 2007 model and just got the tags and insurance taken care of. Its the very first Kawa I've owned. Mine only has 1300 miles on it and still orginal tires. My first impressions are a nice riding quarter liter DS bike with soft power. I like the fact it weighs far less than my DR650. I'm interested in the most basic of uncorking it like the jetting kit, basic airbox mods, and this time maybe an aftermarket exhaust. I realize a 250cc bike won't pull your arms off but I think there is a bit more there. One thing that I see immediately that I don't like is that the lower handlebar clamps are cast directly into the time of the fork clamp making it impossible to use risers. (Unless there are some out there I don't know about). I guess I'll have to buy higher bars. I'm have to do something about my forks and rear suspension. I didn't realize the bike was so softly sprung.The previous owner was a large man(taller and bigger than my 5'8", 215) and he had the preload maxed out. The rear is way too soft for me. Anyway, looking forward to sharing ideas and solutions.

I just purchased a used 2007 model and just got the tags and insurance taken care of. Its the very first Kawa I've owned. Mine only has 1300 miles on it and still orginal tires. My first impressions are a nice riding quarter liter DS bike with soft power. I like the fact it weighs far less than my DR650. I'm interested in the most basic of uncorking it like the jetting kit, basic airbox mods, and this time maybe an aftermarket exhaust. I realize a 250cc bike won't pull your arms off but I think there is a bit more there. One thing that I see immediately that I don't like is that the lower handlebar clamps are cast directly into the time of the fork clamp making it impossible to use risers. (Unless there are some out there I don't know about). I guess I'll have to buy higher bars. I'm have to do something about my forks and rear suspension. I didn't realize the bike was so softly sprung.The previous owner was a large man(taller and bigger than my 5'8", 215) and he had the preload maxed out. The rear is way too soft for me. Anyway, looking forward to sharing ideas and solutions.

Were on opposite sides of the spectrum. I think the bike is really heavy but has plenty of power and the suspension is great! But for me I guess that comes from that this is my first modern bike. My previous bikes were 2 strokes, air cooled, had drum brakes, 3" of suspension travel and weighed less than a 12 pack.

I'm the same weight as you and once I get used to the new bike, Ill prolly want stiffer suspension also. I'm all ears. :clap:

I guess the bike weight is relative to what it is being compared to. Compared to my DR650 it is lighter. Agree it is heavy for a 250cc bike when you consider what KTM bikes weigh. I'm 51 and rode the 2 strokes back in the day and have a KTM 2 stroke also. I became interedted in the KLX250 after meeting several riders at Big Bend that owned the bikes and swore by them. I'm surprised tere are not more of them since they are highly rated as a solid all-around basic performing bike by the web and traditional bike mag. I have to chuckle when I see mine in the garage. It is the famous neon Kawaski green-perhaps it is easier for people to see me!

I guess the bike weight is relative to what it is being compared to. Compared to my DR650 it is lighter. Agree it is heavy for a 250cc bike when you consider what KTM bikes weigh. I'm 51 and rode the 2 strokes back in the day and have a KTM 2 stroke also. I became interedted in the KLX250 after meeting several riders at Big Bend that owned the bikes and swore by them. I'm surprised tere are not more of them since they are highly rated as a solid all-around basic performing bike by the web and traditional bike mag. I have to chuckle when I see mine in the garage. It is the famous neon Kawaski green-perhaps it is easier for people to see me!

I was seriously leaning towards a Yamaha WR250R with all it's great reviews but when I started adding up the dollars, it didn't make cents! :rofl:

I am very glad I got the KLX over the WRR! :rider:

Where did you order jet kit and exhaust from Gary? Good news is that ProCycle, a first rate after-market company that handles a ton of stuff for DS and particularly the DRZ and DR, has one page currently for the KLX with a promise of more to come. ProCycle has yet to steer me wrong and have great service.

Last edited:
Where did you order jet kit and exhaust from Gary? Good news is that ProCycle, a first rate after-market company that handles a ton of stuff for DS and particularly the DRZ and DR, has one page currently for the KLX with a promise of more to come. ProCycle has yet to steer me wrong and have great service.

Hi!

I ordered the DJ kit directly from DJ and the exhaust from Busters dirt. The rest of my stuff I ordered from places like Motosport and thanks for the hook up on ProCycle. I have been trying to find a single place to get everything I want.

Edit: You spent less than I did on the DJ kit!

hi gary this is LATIUMRIDER ...on the right..aka ..gene.:clap:

SHNF046.jpg

SHNF044.jpg

SHNF043.jpg
this is a bunch of us at SHNF.!!

SHNF034.jpg

i'm sure LATIUMRIDER will enjoy ya'll's thread.! good luck. (pee.wee) class. i'm jokin.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

hi gary this is LATIUMRIDER ...on the right..aka ..gene.:clap:

SHNF046.jpg

SHNF044.jpg

SHNF043.jpg
this is a bunch of us at SHNF.!!

SHNF034.jpg

i'm sure LATIUMRIDER will enjoy ya'll's thread.! good luck. (pee.wee) class. i'm jokin.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whats that guy on the left smoking? :lol2::rofl:

My first ride report on the new bike. It sucks, I should of bought a Hodaka. :rofl::mrgreen:

I'm thinking of going over to my U-Haul storage unit where my bike is, and spending the night with it. :scott: I spent 3 hours on it today and am totally in love with it! It took me awhile to get used to since the last bike I rode regularly was a mid 70s 2 stroke MX bike back in the early 80s.

At first the KLX seemed really heavy to me but at only from 0-10mph. After that it seemed to be pretty light and extremely easy to handle at 10 mph and up. But that's just me. I have never ridden a bike with electric start and blinkers before and I found I got used to it pretty quickly. Before the day was over I was trials riding over parking curbs at West Oaks Mall. The security guy in the white truck is probably still looking for me, but he couldn't catch me! :lol2::trust:

Besides some ditch crossings, I haven't done any dirt work yet. I don't trust these stock tires and have some D 606's on the way and will spoon them on before taking on the really dirty stuff. Also ordered some new riding gear including knee and elbo guards.

The bike will wake up once you put a dyno kit on it and the FMF. However, I'd wait until you've broken the engine until you put the mods on.

One thing that I see immediately that I don't like is that the lower handlebar clamps are cast directly into the time of the fork clamp making it impossible to use risers. (Unless there are some out there I don't know about). Anyway, looking forward to sharing ideas and solutions.

These are available from many different on-line dealers. check out the ones that have sleeves so you can use your 7/8 bars now and when you wipe-out and bend them you can upgrade to fatbars without having to buy new risers. I've crash tested them in 3 states and Mexico, they hold up great.:chug:
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=268
122478683498845.jpg

These are available from many different on-line dealers. check out the ones that have sleeves so you can use your 7/8 bars now and when you wipe-out and bend them you can upgrade to fatbars without having to buy new risers. I've crash tested them in 3 states and Mexico, they hold up great.:chug:
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=268
122478683498845.jpg
Thanks! I'm going to check them out. I like the idea of crash tested after my spill this past weekend at the TAR. ALL my equipment needs to able to withstand algae-covered concrete low-water crossings!

Am getting ready to make some purchases like the jetting kit, exhaust, and new tires. I think I am going to get my tried and true T63s.

GARY by the time ya wear those tire's out yer bike should be broken in.. i would think.?? i also use to ride a hodaka :clap:...enjoy dude.:dude:also that's a corn cob pipe AGMAN'S smokin cherry tabbaco..this aint SO-CAL..:rofl:.......

Back