• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sticky Helmet Shell Syndrome - Cure or Chunk?

Chirpy

Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
So I have a KBC FFR, just like this one

KBC-FFR-Freeze-Sliver.jpg

I really, really like it. The last time I wore it, I noticed it was a little tacky to the touch on the outside. Didn't pay much attention to it...but when I went to put it back in the case I noticed it was sticky all over the outside. Upon further examination, it can with a lot of diligence and mild solvent be cleaned off a little bit at a time, but I can't figure out what's going on. It's not the helmet bag.

The really odd part is that the feel and texture is close to an old Sony camcorder I had where the soft rubber parts just started dissolving with age, and got sticky.

I'm wondering if that's what's going on with the helmet, and if I should even bother trying to clean it or just buy another one?

Anybody else ever see this?

Probably 4 or 5 years old now that I think about it...so I guess retirement is in order. Still mystified as to what's going on though.

Any chance it got sprayed with sunscreen??? I've had some plastics react very badly to certain brands - namely the gel type.

Maybe tree sap/pollen/sticky junk? In combination with hand oils? Weird!

When a helmet will stick to the wall, I think it's time for a new helmet.

Any chance it got sprayed with sunscreen??? I've had some plastics react very badly to certain brands - namely the gel type.

Possible, it was in the back of the wife's Rodeo/designated kid hauler for a while. Anything can happen there :eek2:

Maybe tree sap/pollen/sticky junk? In combination with hand oils? Weird!

Probably not, sadly I haven't been riding enough for that to be an issue.

Think I'll just suck it up and buy another one, and hope it doesn't repeat.

I think you're overdue.:eek2:
Let me know if I can help.:rider:

Careful, I might just be in North Houston Saturday afternoon. I may come by and harass you for a bit...if the wifey doesn't already have every one of my waking minutes already planned out for me ;-)

Back