• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #54: Skylines in the spring

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Melseth
This round's theme will be skylines of our dear Texas Cities. Can be a big or small city and maybe with your own twist.

For this assignment, use as much creativity and post-processing techniques as you wish.

You get the idea. Use this thread to post examples and to have discussions. Please experiment as time permits so we can have plenty of photographs to think about and ideas to bounce around.

All shots submitted in the ENTRY thread must be taken between now and midnight Monday April 25th.

A different thread will be opened up for your actual entry submission.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one will be fun.... Here's one of Austin I shot November of last year.

1089620536_a8t4h-XL-1.jpg

Question.... Is a motorcycle required in the shot for this assignment?

Dug up another one....
986102346_EQSEA-XL.jpg

I rode about my area for about 100 miles yesterday with this in mind. Not one skyline shot available. ;-( . 2 story is the highest buildings and even the occasional 4 story in the larger towns are not visible through the trees. Try a different direction tomorrow. Maybe Lake Charles will give one shot up. ;-)
Lots of beautiful green fields of the rice coming up and just starting to be flooded though.
Was thinking of Paul and Voni and how far they would have to travel. Not many towns in their area.

I rode about my area for about 100 miles yesterday with this in mind. Not one skyline shot available. ;-( . 2 story is the highest buildings and even the occasional 4 story in the larger towns are not visible through the trees. Try a different direction tomorrow. Maybe Lake Charles will give one shot up. ;-)
Lots of beautiful green fields of the rice coming up and just starting to be flooded though.
Was thinking of Paul and Voni and how far they would have to travel. Not many towns in their area.

He didn't say that it had to be downtown Houston. Even Terlingua has a "skyline".

This one will be fun.... Here's one of Austin I shot November of last year.

1089620536_a8t4h-XL-1.jpg

This picture is awsome. I wish the owl building stood out more. This has inspired me to try something new. Probably wont look as cool.
I remeber last time in Big Bend out on old Maverick after dark lookin at the lights of Teraligua. Just as cool as any Big City Maybe better. Photobuckets back up.
img1302530276748.jpg

Hey, little hint/trick here......

See all the power lines in your shot? They really detract from it. So you can either shoot from a lower angle closer to the bike and carve them out, or move the bike closer and underneath the lines to take the shot easily eliminating them. Looks like that would have been easy for this location with the dirt path just down the hill from the present location. But you're on the right path. :clap: It just takes practice and an understanding of what you want and how to get it.

That pic was taken with my camera phone prob @Nov as well. Those power lines really do bug me on what made a good screen saver for a while. I think if I go to the other side I could cut out the power lines and the trees in the way, but not sure about some small buildings. I'm gonna have to bust out my digital camera. I only know point and shoot.

This picture is awsome. I wish the owl building stood out more. This has inspired me to try something new. Probably wont look as cool.
I remeber last time in Big Bend out on old Maverick after dark lookin at the lights of Teraligua. Just as cool as any Big City Maybe better. Photobuckets back up.
img1302530276748.jpg

sweet ride you got there :thumb:

About the closest I've been to a skyline with something to shoot in the past 220 miles and two days. But, I'm thinking of another farm town to check out this afternoon on my ride. ;-)
14APR11AmericanFlag1.jpg

About the closest I've been to a skyline with something to shoot in the past 220 miles and two days. But, I'm thinking of another farm town to check out this afternoon on my ride. ;-)
14APR11AmericanFlag1.jpg

I like the way you caught just a little winshield.
This is what I got out of the windyest dustyest days Ive seen in a long time. Dallas in a haze.
img1302900230375.jpg

Hey, little hint/trick here......

See all the power lines in your shot? They really detract from it. So you can either shoot from a lower angle closer to the bike and carve them out, or move the bike closer and underneath the lines to take the shot easily eliminating them. Looks like that would have been easy for this location with the dirt path just down the hill from the present location. But you're on the right path. :clap: It just takes practice and an understanding of what you want and how to get it.

Oh, I thought those were sky lines. Never mind. :)

I was amazed at only 4 entries. But, this one has changed my context on skylines. ;-)
I'm seeing an endless supply at present. LOL!

Yeah, I just got behind on this one.... I had given thought to a mountain bicycle in the Austin skyline. Hey - it's still a 'bike'. lol....

I too was shocked especially with all the post in the creative entry. And I can't believe it M38A1 I was expecting something BIG not nothing. I now have all kinds of different skyline pics had a hard time narrowing it down to 1.

I will be judging the photos in 5-6 hours so those of you that have been lazy still have time.....:lol2:

Back