• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip from San Francisco to Yosemite ??

Reaction score
In a few weeks, I'm planning to fly into San Francisco and then travel to Yosemite National Park to meet a friend there for a few days. I'm toying with the idea of renting a bike in San Fran and making this trip by bike. However, I've never been to this area, and have no idea what the roads and traffic are like.

Is this would be a good bike trip, I'm tempted to rent the bike. But if there will be terrible traffic and not much to see until arriving at Yosemite, then I'll just rent a car.

Any advice and comments welcome!

Wow. LOTS of great places to ride. Go to www.pashnit.com for a sample.

I'm sure there will be others to speak up soon. It's been 20 years since I left so I can't speak to any specifics.

Once you make your way out of the suburban bay area the ride will be nice, its about 4 to 5 hours to the valley. Splitting lane is legal in CA too, just be wary of the distracted car drivers as you weave your way out of the city.

1. Rent a BMW from Dubbelju and enjoy a fantastic trip.
2. Make reservations early and check road closures as these passes close over the winter due to snow.
3. I would recommend taking Hwy 4 out of the Bay area and across the Sierra (Ebbetts Pass), merging with 89 for lunch in Markleeville. Double back on 89 and cross Monitor Pass down to Hwy 395 and head south. Take 396 to Lee Vining and take 120 back over the Sierra and into Yosemite NP.

4. An optional pass well worth taking is Sonora Pass between 89 and 120. It all depends on how many days you have to play. But those passes are in the heart of the Sierra, the roads are fantastic, the views epic.

5. Once you are in the mountains and foothills there are no bad roads. Explore and enjoy.

Don't forget to do lunch at Alice's Restaurant in La Honda before you leave. It is where all the bikers gather. Old school Beemers galore!

Temps will range from 70's and lower to 110. And that happens within a 30 mile range as you ride. It has to do with location rather than time of day or year.

Another thought ... if you do rent a bike avoid the temptation and expense of getting a big bike. The mountains reward light bikes, especially when you get near the passes and the road tightens. I noticed that Dubbelju rents a VStrom with bags - should be perfect.

Thanks for the tips.

Roger that on a small bike--I ride a BMW F800S, so I would be tempted to rent the 800GS or the 650.

Yosemite is usually very crowded, but King's Canyon usually isn't, and the road into and out of it is absolutely amazing. We were there about 8 years ago, driving a rented mini-van, and I really wished I had my GTI there. (I didn't have a bike at the time.)

It's a longer trip, but 180 takes you right there.

Back