• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What does the TWT brain trust think?

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Rossow
The other night I was out with my son's Boy Scout troop camp-out and the leaders were sitting around the campfire (lantern as there was a burn ban in effect) and telling lies, I mean "Stories" and it got around to me and my son's trip to Prudhoe Bay and Key West. The furthest north you can travel by road to the furthest south you can travel by road in North America. One of the guys said how about the highest paved road to the lowest? That got me to thinking (a scary thought that I was thinking) that that would be a fun ride. So pulling out my trusty smart phone I found the highest paved road was on Mount Evens in Colorado at 14,264 feet above sea level and the lowest paved road was in Death Valley at Badwater Basin, 282 feet below sea level. I know that you need no other reason to ride except it is a day that ends in "Y" but sometimes it is good to have a reason for the ride or a destination in mind. The total ride would be about 3,500 miles without any side trips. I was thinking about doing it over a long weekend when my wife takes my daughter to college (10 June to 14 or 15 June) or maybe stretching it out to all week.

So, What say you? Any ideas? Any one want to do all or part with me?

Last edited:
Key West isn't the farthest south you can go in North America. It's the farthest south in the contiguous 48 states, if I'm not mistaken.

Key West isn't the farthest south you can go in North America. It's the farthest south in the contiguous 48 states, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, as you stated. Hawaii (Latitude 21N) is further south than Key West (latitude 24N).

Last I heard, Mexico was considered to be in North America. Therefore, the North American city farthest south would be in that country.

Technically, Central America is part of the North American continent. So the farthest south is even farther than Mexico. ;-)
but yes, Key West is the furthest south by road in the lower 48 of the United States.

I had opportunity to ride to the top of Mt Evans a couple of years ago. It was snowing at the summit that day. I skipped it.

I had opportunity to ride to the top of Mt Evans a couple of years ago. It was snowing at the summit that day. I skipped it.
It is a nice ride, it was around 100 degrees in Aurora the day that I went up it (early August) but a nice 65 degrees at the summit of Mount Evans.

I say go for it!
My three kids are really young so I can only go on one long trip a year, but when the twins are old enough to ride my Dad and I plan to take one on each of our bikes and take them on some trips which will give me a chance to make a couple more trips a year, along with spending time with my Dad and my two oldest.

Back