• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW K1600GTL....LOVE

Reaction score
This past saturday, I made the pilgrimage to Lone Star BMW in Austin for some warranty work on my GSA. Knowing the 1600 was in, I had scheduled in advance for a demo ride while my bike was in the shop.
P5070191.jpg

The machine:sun: I was not sure how I would like the GLT but I felt I needed to try it...
P5070192.jpg

I had been a little cramped on my 09 RT with high seat. This GTL had the low seat but still had as much room as my RT, but I would want the high seat. I know many folks into this bike has already read up on it. I went in deliberately cold so I would not have any preconceived notions. My first thoughts once we hit out first stop sign was wow...it did not seem that heavy. Very maneuverable at low speed. I adjusted to it quickly and no problem deciding WOW...I LOVE THIS BIKE....It pulls hard from the start and feathers off with no issues. It just blows my mind how great it rode, it did not seem like the behemoth that it is...It has more gadgets than ya can shake a stick at which would take a little while to get use to the donut controller. I see in my crystal ball a GTL with a high seat...Robert are you listening;-) Love those folks at Lone Star:clap:

My donut contoller and I are doing just fine. We learned how to save preset stations yesterday. Tomorrow, if UPS cooperates, we are going to learn to pair it with a bluetooth headset. Friday we are learning to plug into the iPod adapter (when the cord arrives). Next week, we are going to learn how to activate the Sirrius XM radio at LSBMW.

Kurt, which bluetooth headset did you get? A BMW branded one? Or the Sena I mentioned? Or something totally different?

P5070192.jpg

ghostrider1964: You look good on that bike!
:thumb:

Kurt, which bluetooth headset did you get? A BMW branded one? Or the Sena I mentioned? Or something totally different?

I bought the Sena SMH 10 (single head set). The BMW version isn't out and for the price it gets great reviews. Plus if I really like it, adding another won't break the bank.

price tag out the door?

Last edited by a moderator:

Update: The Sena SMH 10 was DOA. The left speaker was dead. After spending an hour on the phone with Sena CS and Amazon, I returned it for a refund. I bought a Scala Rider G4 yesterday at LSBMW to replace it, and a helmet designed for headset installation.

The GTL at LSBMW is marked $28K and change, but it has every bell and whistle available.

:eek2: Wow! $28K just seems insane for a bike. I just bought a new car and have 4 bikes. If I add up the value of all 5 vehicles plus my trailer I still don't quite reach $28K + tax, hahaha.

_

It competes squarely with the Goldwing's top offering, maybe even slightly better since $28K includes TT&L.

It competes squarely with the Goldwing's top offering, maybe even slightly better since $28K includes TT&L.

So includes sales tax, that's a little better. I was adding another $2K onto posted price for that. It probably does go head to head with a 2012 Goldwing but still plenty of leftovers Wings available much cheaper. Here's a brand new 2010 for $18.4K (under $20K w/ T,T&L) but if you want ABS & Navi then add another $2-$3K.
http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=9929900&Brand=16&Type=1787&fm=1

_

I thought it was their demo. :scratch: They couldn't sell me their R1200RT demo until it had 2,500 miles on it.

Would love to hear more about the GTL and the GT. I drive an Ultra and love cross country doing 22,000 miles in two years. Looking at the GTL. Salesman says the GT has a better riding position, kind of leaning forward with the GTL sitting straight up.
Anyone done any long rides have an opinion? I also ride with a friend who has an Ultra. We use the CB a lot to pass the time and keep each other laughing. Wonder if we'd miss it and if using bluetooth phone wouldn't prove to be a pain. I know a CB can be fitted but.... The BMW does look impressive from every angle and perspective.

Two weeks ago, on my way to the BMW moa Rally in PA. we stopped at David Bloodworth's BMW shop in Tenn. and looked and talked about the GTL. He said he had sold sixteen of the 1600s. I didn't know there were that many in the country.(so soon) HB

I've been told that they were making a limited supply, as "BMW normally does", and if I put money down now on the GTL I might expect one at yearend.
Kind of like the gadgetry on the bike. Would give you alot to play with while cruising. The bikes look like they ride super-smooth and stable. Also like the idea of the systems working together to provide a 'rain-mode' in suspension, traction, and ABS system.

I expect the Honda ST1300 to be like the K1600 in their next version, which should be out in about a decade.

Stay tuned.

RB

Mr Harris, you should check out lone star BMW website. One of their customers got one early on and posted a ride report about it.

Back